╌>

The mother of the 14-year-old suspect in a deadly shooting at a Georgia high school was arrested last year on family violence charges

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  4 weeks ago  •  19 comments

By:   By Melissa Chan, Marissa Parra, Maria Piñero and John Filippelli

The mother of the 14-year-old suspect in a deadly shooting at a Georgia high school was arrested last year on family violence charges
She also had warrants out for her arrest stemming from a November 2023 incident in which drugs, including methamphetamine and fentanyl

Photo: Fox News

Related: 

1. Texas Governor Abbott Vetoes Critical, Bipartisan Mental Health Legislation for Texas College Students  

2. The 14-year-old’s mother was arrested on family violence charges, his parents split up and the family was evicted from its home, according to records and transcripts.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The mother of the 14-year-old suspect in a   deadly shooting at a Georgia high school   was arrested last year on family violence charges, court records show — the latest indication that the teen accused of killing four people had a turbulent home life. 

Colt Gray’s mother, Marcee Gray, pleaded guilty in December to second-degree criminal damage of property and criminal trespass-family violence, Barrow County court records show. 

She also had warrants out for her arrest stemming from a November 2023 incident in which drugs, including methamphetamine and fentanyl, were found in her car, according to warrants obtained by NBC News. 

At home, the teen struggled after his parents separated and his family was evicted from their home, which separated him from his two younger siblings, the transcripts show.  

“He’s gone through a lot,” Colin Gray told the Jackson County Sheriff’s investigator in May 2023, when his son was being investigated over the threat allegations. 

In two interviews with the investigator last year, Colin Gray revealed that his son was having a tough time dealing with challenges at home and at school but he did not express concerns that his son would carry out a massacre. 

Colin Gray said his son denied making the threats and said he did not want to be “caught up in any of that.” 

“He’s like, ‘I’m a good boy, daddy. I would never do it,’” the father told the investigator. “I feel bad for him because all that stuff happened.”

(Cont'd at source article)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    4 weeks ago

Colin Gray said his son was “picked on” and physically pinched by his classmates at his last middle school. The apparent bullying prompted the father to speak with the school’s administrators multiple times out of his own frustration.

“I don’t want him to fight anybody, but they just keep, like, pinching him and touching him,” he said, according to the transcript. “Words are one thing, but you start touching him and that’s a whole different deal.”

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @1    4 weeks ago

Is there a legal defence called "Provocation"? 

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    4 weeks ago

Colin Gray said the conflict “escalated.” He said his son, who gets “flustered” under pressure, couldn’t focus on his finals and said he wanted to move out of the school district.

“He should be excited about getting into eighth grade,” his father said. “It was just very difficult for him to go to school.”

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2    4 weeks ago

I'm beginning to think that there is a serious mental health problem throughout the USA that is not being dealt with.  It gives a truth that a doctor friend of my father once told him that the only reason there are people locked up in insane asylums and we're out here is because we're the majority. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    4 weeks ago

It's a damn shame how there is no decent mental health care for those without insurance and truly in need.  A lot of folks turn to drugs to self-medicate.  

There is a serious mental health problem here.  You are correct sir.

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.1.2  charger 383  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    4 weeks ago

I think you are right about a serious mental health problem.

Some of the problem goes back to the Reagan Administration when they let many out of the Mental asylums and trying to save money on that.  

Mental health care costs money many do not want to spend and still has bad image 

Mental issues often end up as a police problem and that doesn't work out in the best way. 

Overpopulation increases the number of people with mental issues even if percent of population with problems stayed the same and it is getting worse   

There are a lot of crazy ones on the loose

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.1.3  charger 383  replied to  charger 383 @2.1.2    4 weeks ago

And there a a lot of people who just should not have children for a lot of reasons

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  charger 383 @2.1.3    4 weeks ago
"And there are a lot of people who just should not have children for a lot of reasons"

The Republicans' restrictions against abortions are not going to stop that problem or the problem of overpopulation, 

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  charger 383 @2.1.2    4 weeks ago
Some of the problem goes back to the Reagan Administration when they let many out of the Mental asylums and trying to save money on that. 

I remember that. It was a total disaster. 

One pf the ommediate effect was that suddenly there was a Yuge number of homeless people.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @2.1.5    4 weeks ago
It was a total disaster. 

Lots of folks say that, but no President in the roughly 50 years since has done anything.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.7  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.6    4 weeks ago
Lots of folks say that, but no President in the roughly 50 years since has done anything.

And what specific things would you like presidents to do?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @2.1.7    4 weeks ago
And what specific things would you like presidents to do?

Protect our borders, align foreign policy with our allies, press Congress for sensible and financially sound budgets while not running deficits and start paying off some of our debt while we still can, stop making the US the world's policeman and banker.

That would be a great start, and then we can go from there.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    4 weeks ago

After the family violence charges, Marcee Gray was ordered to have no contact with Colin Gray, except through a third party and on matters that involved the children or a divorce, records show. 

In a Linkedin post from 2023, Marcee Gray, who worked in industrial engineering, described enduring "14 years of almost constant domestic abuse."

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3    4 weeks ago

I think there has to be some fault related to the incompetent responses by law enforcement.  Look at Uvalde as another example of that.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    4 weeks ago
I think there has to be some fault related to the incompetent responses by law enforcement.  Look at Uvalde as another example of that

Uvalde was somewhat different.

For one thing IIRC there was a large number of police present-- but they were just waiting outside the school while the shooting was going on.

Once they finally enetered the building, they stayed at the far end of the hall-- and were hiding behind a cornet-- afraid to go in. (There are videos of that).

The police as well as their leader were totally incompetant.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.1.1    4 weeks ago
The police as well as their leader were totally incompetant.

Afterwards when many people argued for more effective gun laws, Texas governor Greg Abbot ofo course refused to discuss that.

Finally he came up with the argument that it wasn't about loose gun laws, lack of adequate background checks for purchasers, etc. No he said-- it was a mental health issue! We needed more and better mental health services.

The problem was-- he had just greatly cut spending on mental health services!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @3.1.2    4 weeks ago
Afterwards when many people argued for more effective gun laws, Texas governor Greg Abbot ofo course refused to discuss that.

And what specific laws would you like to have seen enacted in Texas?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3.1.1    4 weeks ago
"Uvalde was somewhat different."

How was it different?  The police and their leader were incompetent, which is what I said and you said yourself.  Uvalde was the most extreme example of incompetent police work I've ever seen in my life or even read or heard about happening.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3.1.2    4 weeks ago
"We needed more and better mental health services."

You'll need to build one hell of a lot more mental hospitals and graduate a hell of a lot more competent medical mental health professionals and staff to take care of all the people in America who are having mental health issues, cause after all, as the gun lovers say, guns don't kill people, people kill people.  Guns are just innocent bystanders, not a tool that is made to kill.