╌>

Meet the conservative women who are planning to vote Yes on Florida’s abortion amendment

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  4 weeks ago  •  17 comments

By:   By Romy Ellenbogen and Alexandra Glorioso

Meet the conservative women who are planning to vote Yes on Florida’s abortion amendment
Some Republican women are working to create room for conservative people who oppose abortion bans

Photo credit: Dr. Marion Pandiscio, an obstetrician-gynecologist, in front on left, as she addresses a group of about 40 Republican women to talk about their support for Amendment 4 on Aug. 27, 2024, in Bradenton. DIRK SHADD Times

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

As the women trickled into the community clubhouse late last month, each grabbed a red flyer printed with a message: “Pregnancy is personal, not political.” That was the resounding theme at the Bradenton mixer hosted by a group of conservative women who plan to vote yes on a ballot question that could undo Florida’s six-week abortion ban.

The mixer’s aim was to dispel misinformation and to get attendees to speak in favor of Amendment 4 — despite their own party’s opposition.

While Democrats have taken up abortion rights as a key issue for 2024 elections across the country, polling shows the issue doesn’t fall strictly along partisan lines. Some Republican women are working to create room for conservative people who oppose abortion bans.

Alyssa Nohren, a Republican, first heard about Conservative Women for Freedom after reading about it in a local news report. “You should have the option to do with your body what you see fit,” said Nohren, who co-hosted last month’s event. “(Political parties) have just gone so far right and so far left. I’m just moderate. And unfortunately, there’s just not a lot of people for us.”

As the women trickled into the community clubhouse late last month, each grabbed a red flyer printed with a message: “Pregnancy is personal, not political.” That was the resounding theme at the Bradenton mixer hosted by a group of conservative women who plan to vote yes on a ballot question that could undo Florida’s six-week abortion ban. 

“You should have the option to do with your body what you see fit,” said Nohren, who co-hosted last month’s event. “(Political parties) have just gone so far right and so far left. I’m just moderate. And unfortunately, there’s just not a lot of people for us.”

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article291890085.html#storylink=cpy

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    4 weeks ago

As the women trickled into the community clubhouse late last month, each grabbed a red flyer printed with a message: “Pregnancy is personal, not political.”

That was the resounding theme at the Bradenton mixer hosted by a group of conservative women who plan to vote yes on a ballot question that could undo Florida’s six-week abortion ban.

The mixer’s aim was to dispel misinformation and to get attendees to speak in favor of Amendment 4 — despite their own party’s opposition.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @1    4 weeks ago

I take note that you have started posting only part of certain articles and requiring us to click a link to read the rest of the article, which you have done here and on another article on the Front (Home) Page.  I am unable to open either one, and I would appreciate it if you would post articles in their entirety.  I feel hamstrung about posting comments to support your contributions when I cannot read the whole article.  I ALWAYS post an entire article because I take into consideration that someone might not be able to open the source.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    4 weeks ago
I take note that you have started posting only part of certain articles and requiring us to click a link to read the rest of the article, which you have done here and on another article on the Front (Home) Page.  I am unable to open either one, and I would appreciate it if you would post articles in their entirety.  I feel hamstrung about posting comments to support your contributions when I cannot read the whole article.  I ALWAYS post an entire article because I take into consideration that someone might not be able to open the source.  

Thanks for the heads up-- in the future I will post the entire article.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.1.1    4 weeks ago
I ALWAYS post an entire article because I take into consideration that someone might not be able to open the source.  

Here's what happened:

Many years ago (I don't remember if it was on Newsvine or NT) I always posted the entire article-- with a link to the original. But a moderator told me that might be seen as a type of plagiarism, and that we should only post part of it-- with a link back to the original.

So I began posting only a small part-- even just one paragraph. And then I noticed that thats what people were doing, only post a short excerpt with a link back to the original.

Then I took a long break from NT. When I returned I was suprised to see people once again posting entire articles. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.1.1    4 weeks ago

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.1.3    4 weeks ago

(deleted)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @1.1.2    4 weeks ago

The "SEEDED CONTENT" words are a link to the source article, so that itself is a credit to the actual article, and as well the original author is required to be identified.  So how is that plagiarism?  Plagiarism is when you personally take credit for what someone else has written.  It is more likely that NT could be sued for copyright infraction, but after all these years of copying and posting articles, I doubt that will happen.  NT is not a well-known social news site. 

Gordy327
Professor Guide
1.2  Gordy327  replied to  Krishna @1    4 weeks ago
 “Pregnancy is personal, not political.”

That is well put and true. Unfortunately, pregnancy and abortion have become political, and politics is the problem. 

That was the resounding theme at the Bradenton mixer hosted by a group of conservative women who plan to vote yes on a ballot question that could undo Florida’s six-week abortion ban. The mixer’s aim was to dispel misinformation and to get attendees to speak in favor of Amendment 4 — despite their own party’s opposition.

Hopefully Florida's abortion ban will be overturned. Although, I have heard that Florida police have been going to people's homes who have signed the petition. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    4 weeks ago

Alyssa Nohren, a Republican, first heard about Conservative Women for Freedom after reading about it in a local news report.

“You should have the option to do with your body what you see fit,” said Nohren, who co-hosted last month’s event.

“(Political parties) have just gone so far right and so far left. I’m just moderate. And unfortunately, there’s just not a lot of people for us.”

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    4 weeks ago

A recent survey conducted by KFF, a leading health policy organization, found that two-thirds of Florida women of reproductive age support a right to abortion.

Debbie Scaccianoce, a Republican Bradenton Beach commissioner who attended, said she knows a woman who last year traveled to three different states before she could get an abortion, finding access in Illinois after trying Georgia and South Carolina.

“It’s her body, it should be her choice, and taking it away is unfathomable,” Scaccianoce said.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    4 weeks ago

There is nothing about being conservative that requires you to want to ban abortion. It's a position that comes - not from being conservative - but from people being a self-righteous busy-bodies who uses the Bible to justify that righteousness.

I mean, it's one issue, and it doesn't even affect the people who oppose it. It's bizarre that they spend so much time and energy on it. Even more, it's decidedly unconservative to want government to control it so much. What happened to personal liberty? What happened to limited government?

Remember when Obamacare came along and conservatives were all freaked out because they didn't want the government making medical decisions for them? Remember when they - and still do - didn't want government telling them to get vaccines or wear masks? But somehow getting into an individual woman's reproductive health care is totally their business and that of the government. It makes no sense.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @4    4 weeks ago
I mean, it's one issue, and it doesn't even affect the people who oppose it. It's bizarre that they spend so much time and energy on it. Even more, it's decidedly unconservative to want government to control it so much.

Those were my thoughts upon hearing of Republican opposition to citizen's making their own decisions about the type of healthcare they want. .

Over the years I've heard many arguments on various social media sites. Among the most interesting IMO were discussions about what are the real differences between Liberals and Conservatives. Of course there were different opinions..

But the one thing most people seemed to agree on was that Democrats (and Liberals) generally wanted a bigger government role in solving problems, and Republicans (and true Conservatives) wanted a smaller government role in solving problems (and a bigger role for the private sector).

Over time Republicans were making the argument that:

That the government that governs least governs best!

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.1    4 weeks ago
But the one thing most people seemed to agree on was that Democrats generally wanted a bigger government role in solving problems, and Republicans wanted a smaller government role in solving problems (and a bigger role for the private sector).

Over time Republicans were making the argument that:

That the government that governs least governs best!

In fact I distinctly remember that on the relatively rare occasions when the topic of abortion came up-- several prominent Republican politicians said that thast is not a topic for politicians to decide...is up to individuals and their doctors!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  Krishna @4.1.1    4 weeks ago
several prominent Republican politicians said that thast is not a topic for politicians to decide

Unfortunately, the loud fringe minority drives so much of the agenda. I really think that if it were up to most moderate Republicans, we’d never hear about abortion. They might not personally like that abortions happen, but they wouldn’t go to the trouble to turn that feeling into law and impose their will on people in that way. Political conservatism could be very useful to this country if they didn’t waste their efforts on being the morality police.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @4    4 weeks ago
It makes no sense.

True. But as you said, its done by many politicians to please religious extremists. By opposing abortion, these politicians are (obviously) hoping to get the votes of religious extremists.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.3  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @4    4 weeks ago

For some reason their sole purpose appears to be to outlaw recreational sex/sex for pleasure.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     4 weeks ago

The pushback on this and a number of other nonsense of the right are facing serious pushback. Moms for Liberty suffered a setback in recent school board races.