╌>

What are 'lighthouse parents'? The new child-rearing style parents are supposed to follow now

Category:  Other

Via:  hallux  •  4 weeks ago  •  13 comments

By:   Natalie Stechyson - CBC

What are 'lighthouse parents'? The new child-rearing style parents are supposed to follow now
We are not helicopters. We are not bulldozers. We're now 'lighthouse parents'

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

First came the "helicopter parents." But we worried the constant hovering made our  children insecure . Then came the   bulldozer parents   seeking to remove any and all obstacles out of our child's path. Turns out that wasn't so great, either.

Then  tiger parents pushed their children   to be highly successful, while   jellyfish parents   were lenient and flexible. The so-called "crunchy moms" banned plastics and sugars from their homes, silky moms served their kids sugary drinks in plastic cups and  scrunchy moms   met them somewhere in the middle.

All while almond moms and   Apple Watch dads  focused on their wellness,   Sharenters  posted each and every moment of parenting online and   Momfluencers   made a profit from a well-placed sponsored post or two along the way.

Then came the age of   gentle parents , but now some of us are realizing we've been, perhaps, too gentle.

So where, pray tell, does that leave modern parents now?

Lighthouses. 

While parenting trends come and go, and the term "lighthouse parenting" has been in the lexicon for a   few years now , it's recently started   gaining traction .

Lighthouse parents, according to  Parents magazine , provide a stable source of guidance for their children — like a lighthouse — while also giving them the freedom to grow and learn. They are sturdy, reliable but not controlling, according to a recent piece in  The Atlantic .

The   lighthouse method   is a balanced approach, and develops emotionally healthy children and adolescents "who go on to have deep, enduring relationships with their parents for their entire lifetime," says U.S. pediatrician Dr. Kenneth Ginsburg in his upcoming manual,  Lighthouse Parenting: Raising Your Child With Loving Guidance for a Lifelong Bond , scheduled for publication in March 2025. 

In an   earlier blog post , Ginsburg, a leading proponent of lighthouse parenting who is also the founder of the Center for Parent and Teen Communications, wrote that lighthouse parents are "a stable force on the shoreline [a] child can measure themselves against."

"I see it as my job to look down at the rocks and make sure they do not crash against them. I look into the waves and trust they will eventually learn to ride them on their own. But I will prepare them to do so," he wrote. 

A middle ground? 

Julie Romanowski, a parenting coach and consultant based in Vancouver, says of all the different parenting styles out there, this one actually resonates with her the most both personally and professionally. 

"A lighthouse's whole purpose is to guide," Romanowski told CBC News, while emphasizing that when children need guidance most is when they're experiencing big feelings.

"It's sturdy, it's anchored, it's strong and yet it's peaceful and confident in what its role is and what it's doing."

She says she suspects the sudden appeal of this approach may be due to parents seeking a middle ground between authoritative and gentle parenting, which is   facing a bit of a backlash   over the pressure it puts on parents. 

Lighthouse parenting seems to stem from a combination of not wanting to fall prey to what's been dubbed " safetyism " in parenting literature — essentially, being too overbearing — and the idea that parents are still meant to be available to their children, says Vanessa Lapointe, a registered psychologist and parenting consultant based in Surrey, B.C., and the author of   Discipline without Damage .

"Certainly those concepts line up with the developmental literature about what it is that children need," Lapointe said.

Information overload and parent stress

But Lapointe also emphasized that trends like these contribute to parental overwhelm, especially as they try to navigate what's backed by research and what should just be ignored. 

"The reality is there is way  too much information coming at parents these days. It's like they're all at the end of a fire hose," she said.

Google "parenting" and you'll get, quite literally, a billion different results — 1.07 billion as of Tuesday, to be exact.

Amid a constant influx of information online, so much of it conflicting, experts have said parents today often experience   information overload .

A   study published last year   in the International Journal of Behavioral Development suggested that parents who felt less in control were more likely to search for parenting information online — and that their feelings of being overwhelmed by all that information just made them search more.

In August, in a new  public health advisory , the U.S. surgeon general warned that today's parents are feeling burned out and "perpetually behind" from comparing themselves — and their parenting strategies — to what they see online. 

Terms or trends like lighthouse parenting are really not helpful and can contribute to parenting stress, says Dr. Ashley Miller, a clinical associate professor of psychiatry at the University of British Columbia who is also a child and adolescent psychiatrist.

"Parenting shouldn't be a fad or put into boxes in my opinion," she said in an email statement.

So, are we being lighthouses?

Many of those who promote lighthouse parenting says it's   not a trendy  term like helicopter parenting, but a balanced approach to raising children.

"There are all these cultural terms that people use," Ginsburg, the pediatrician and author, says in a   YouTube video   posted to his website.

"None of it makes a difference. We know what makes a difference. It's balanced parenting. It's parenting that is loving and warm, and absolutely watches, but understands that preparation is protection."

Even back in 2014, the American Academy of Pediatrics   endorsed Ginsburg's approaches   to help children "develop the ability to negotiate their own challenges and to be more resilient, more capable, and happier."

But   Parents magazine  says lighthouse parenting isn't for everyone, and that "parents tend to be inherently wired to want to help their kids in any way possible."

Some children also need more guidance and structure than others, it says.

Miller says the key message is that parents and families benefit from practical and emotional support.

"If society values healthy child development, we need to put resources and energy into this, not asking parents to learn and do more or subscribe to specific narrow parenting styles," she said.

Still, the idea of lighthouse parenting does appeal to many parents, like Russel Shaw, a contributor to   The Atlantic   who wrote that "Sometimes, the best thing a parent can do is nothing at all."

Just remember that even if lighthouse parenting resonates with you, you don't need to learn everything about it immediately or try to follow it perfectly, Romanowski said.

After all, she said, "Tomorrow, something else is going to come out."

Natalie Stechyson has been a writer and editor at CBC News since 2021. She covers stories on social trends, families, gender, human interest, as well as general news. She's worked as a journalist since 2009, with stints at the Globe and Mail and Postmedia News, among others. Before joining CBC News, she was the parents editor at HuffPost Canada, where she won a silver Canadian Online Publishing Award for her work on pregnancy loss. You can reach her at natalie.stechyson@cbc.ca.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    4 weeks ago

My daughter did a wonderful job in raising herself and taught me everything I didn't need to know. As a surrealist parent I taught her how to throw a punch, mix a Martini and tell the time on a melting clock.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hallux @1    4 weeks ago

You're a good dad

I raised my kids the old-fashioned way. They turned out to be healthy, productive members of society

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @1    4 weeks ago

I was raised by "50's cop parents". if I got caught, I got beat ...

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  devangelical @1.2    4 weeks ago

And now look at you with your incognito sunglasses.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.2.2  afrayedknot  replied to  devangelical @1.2    4 weeks ago

I was raised by parents who were neither ready nor equipped for the task. Years later, as a stay-at-home dad, I was equally unprepared…but had the support of a loving wife, the intention to break the cycle of dysfunction, and the never ending attention of two young sons.

Looking back, the best time of my life. Looking today, witnessing the growth they have made in becoming empathetic, energetic and engaging men. Looking forward, simply thankful and full of gratitude for the opportunity to have been a part of the journey. 

They are my lighthouse now. 

shona1
Professor Quiet
1.2.3  shona1  replied to  devangelical @1.2    4 weeks ago

Morning...I was raised by hands on parents..

Hand on backside or backs of the legs, hand on wooden spoon or belt..

None of this wuzzy time out or self expression or participation awards in the 60s here...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.4  devangelical  replied to  afrayedknot @1.2.2    4 weeks ago

sincerest kudos. some people live vicariously thru their young kids, I live vicariously thru the successful and well adjusted adults my children have become. funny, I never wanted kids and we had three, and now I can't imagine my life without them.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.5  devangelical  replied to  shona1 @1.2.3    4 weeks ago

a precocious little shark biscuit you were?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  shona1 @1.2.3    4 weeks ago

I think we had the same parents

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @1.2.4    4 weeks ago

I really like my adult children. I enjoyed them when they were younger, but now we can drink together and laugh about adult things

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    4 weeks ago

My mother was very affectionate and laissez-faire while my father was quite disciplinarian, but with common sense and restraint considering I could be a pretty naughty kid sometimes.  However, he was exceptionally loving and generous (like, how many other kids get a brand-new Pontiac convertible as a graduation present?)

My ex-wife and I must have been pretty good parents, and I have no idea what we could be specifically designated as, because both of our kids became highly educated (daughter has 2 Master's degrees, and son has one) in the fields that have enabled them to become both very successful and widely admired and respected in their respective careers.  

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
3  Robert in Ohio    4 weeks ago

Anyone who thinks that there is one way to raise a child has never been a parent?

Every child is different, and every aspect of that child's life is different and each aspect of raising a child requires love, patience and attention 

There is no checklist, no book of instructions

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Robert in Ohio @3    4 weeks ago

I think the only essential is that one wants to be a good parent.