╌>

Ryan Walters calls for additional $3M for Bibles in Oklahoma classrooms

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  2 weeks ago  •  40 comments

By:   Alexia Aston (The Oklahoman)

Ryan Walters calls for additional $3M for Bibles in Oklahoma classrooms
Oklahoma state schools Superintendent Ryan Walters called for an additional $3 million in the upcoming year's budget to provide Bibles in classrooms.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Alexia AstonThe Oklahoman

Oklahoma state schools Superintendent Ryan Walters called for an additional $3 million for the upcoming year to provide a Bible in every public school classroom during Thursday's Oklahoma State Board of Education meeting.

Walters said this would be a "significant step" in ensuring that Oklahoma isn't allowing the left to "censor American history."

"We've talked about the efforts of left-wing groups and the teachers unions to drive the Bible out of school," Walters said. "I believe it's important for historical context for kids to understand the role the Bible played."

Walters also said the state Education Department wants to protect teacher's rights, adding that his office is investigating complaints from parents of a teacher who was dismissed for expressing questions about God in the classroom.

Walters did not identify the teacher. In August, parents in Skiatook raised questions about an assignment given to their daughter where students were tasked with answering, "Is God real?" School district officials confirmed Aug. 30 that the teacher was no longer employed at the district, according to 2 News.

"I do not want to see the targeting of teachers who do talk about faith in its historical context in the classroom. That's a concern we continue to hear," Walters said. "We have to be able to teach our kids history, and we cannot allow teachers to continue to be targeted if they mention the Bible in its historical context."

The state superintendent's remarks on Thursday come about two months after Walters ordered all Oklahoma districts to teach about the Bible's historical and literary value. The directive prompted at least a dozen of the state's largest districts to announce they have no intention of altering their curriculum to incorporate the order.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    2 weeks ago

original

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @1    2 weeks ago

I wonder how many skeletons/dead hookers/underage children are in his closet?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    2 weeks ago

underage boys in motel rooms is pretty popular with maga politicos in that part of the country ...

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    2 weeks ago

He’s probably a competitor .

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  JBB @1    2 weeks ago

that's a scam, gideon will supply them for free ...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    2 weeks ago
Walters also said the state Education Department wants to protect teacher's rights, adding that his office is investigating complaints from parents of a teacher who was dismissed for expressing questions about God in the classroom.

God doesn't belong anywhere in a public school..unless someone is praying for a passing grade on their algebra test

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    2 weeks ago
Walters said this would be a "significant step" in ensuring that Oklahoma isn't allowing the left to "censor American history."

Remind me what years either the New or Old Testament Bible covers versus how many years of American history there are?

While there are certainly Bibles in American history, there is no American history in any Bible

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @2.1    2 weeks ago

Obviously you read the wrong version!

lol

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    2 weeks ago

I'm fine with a Bible in the library, perhaps several of them. But they don't belong in the classroom unless it's going to be discussed as literature or a section about world religions

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    2 weeks ago

Once the lawsuits are done he's gonna need another 3 mil for Korans, another 3 mil for Dianetics, and another 5 mil for Books of Shadows.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  SteevieGee @3.1    2 weeks ago

Don't forget the Book of Mormon...

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.1.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1.1    2 weeks ago

I'm starting the Church of Steevie.  I'm gonna write a stupid book called the Book of Steevie that says if you're mad at your wife you can just use your slaves.  Then I'll sue Oklahoma and make them buy $3 mil of them and clean up.  Tax free BTW.  They'll eat them up.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.3  devangelical  replied to  SteevieGee @3.1.2    2 weeks ago

great establishment clause concept ...

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    2 weeks ago

thumpers can never find the bible in libraries, since they're in the fiction section, if they haven't already been tossed for glorifying violence, incest, sodomy, polygamy, and a few other full contact sports of the xtian faithful I can't remember at the moment ...

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     2 weeks ago

Trump has offered him the Trump Bible for $19.99, $10 off his regular price.

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.1  Hallux  replied to  Kavika @4    2 weeks ago

What's he charging for Melania's tell nothing tome?

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @4.1    2 weeks ago

you can only buy her collection of "nude modeling" photos with trump crypto now ...

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Hallux  replied to  devangelical @4.1.1    2 weeks ago

Is it available in a braille edition?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  devangelical @4.1.1    2 weeks ago

Aren't they NFTs yet?

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @4.1.2    2 weeks ago

no, but you can get a couple tubes of silicone made in a foreign country at home depot ...

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.5  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @4.1.3    2 weeks ago

those hit the internet in 40 days ...

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.6  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @4.1.5    2 weeks ago

the "action" DVD's hit the market in time for xmas, for all those impossible to buy for maga's in your life...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @4    2 weeks ago

It's amazing Oklahoma doesn't still have "Residential Schools", or does it?  Seems to me that Ryan Walters would like to bring them back if he could.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6  Gsquared    2 weeks ago

Oklahoma ranks 49th out of 50 states in education.  This joker's trying for last place!

U.S. News & World Report’s 2024 review places Oklahoma 49th out of 50 states, reflecting poor performance in standardized test scores and graduation rates, as well as in higher education statistics such as college graduation rates and graduating debt.

WalletHub’s 2024 ranking, which also places Oklahoma at second-worst state for education overall, extends their analysis to include student safety by measuring school violence and bullying. While Oklahoma ranks 35th in school safety, the state’s quality of education ranks only above New Mexico’s.

The Annie E. Casey Foundation’s 2024 report on child wellness lists Oklahoma 49th in education, assessing standardized proficiency scores and high school graduation rates.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
6.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Gsquared @6    2 weeks ago

I understand that Florida is #1 , so there's that.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Gsquared  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1    2 weeks ago

Not for long if DeSantis has anything to do with it.

Hallux
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Hallux  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1    2 weeks ago
I understand that Florida is #1 , so there's that.

Pollyannaish thoughts don't suit you. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
6.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hallux @6.1.2    2 weeks ago

Ya got’s to look on the bright side.

You know Mrs. Torrance, you got to keep regular, if you want to be happy!

Hallux
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Hallux  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1.3    2 weeks ago
Mrs. Torrance

Wendy? Here I thought you'd toss Eric Idle into the mix. The boys and gals of ICE at Houston International put me into heavier leg irons to stop me singing from the cross.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hallux @6.1.2    2 weeks ago

I'm pretty sure it's either Mississippi or Arkansas. I could be wrong, tho

MrFrost
Professor Guide
7  MrFrost    2 weeks ago

I wonder what other religions they are teaching? 

/s

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1  devangelical  replied to  MrFrost @7    2 weeks ago

if you ask thumpers, they think there is only one religion ...

MrFrost
Professor Guide
7.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  devangelical @7.1    2 weeks ago

if you ask thumpers, they think there is only one religion ...

Truth. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.2  devangelical  replied to  MrFrost @7.1.1    2 weeks ago

it's belonging to a religion that teaches peace, love, forgiveness, or else they'll kill you if you don't belong ...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8  Buzz of the Orient    2 weeks ago

I guess nobody will fund having the Sutta Pitaka placed in every classroom.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8    2 weeks ago
Sutta Pitaka

And what about the Bhagavad Gita, The Yoga Sutras of Pantangali?

For Taoism, I still like The Tao of Pooh (although most people won't be able to relate to that one...)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @8.1    2 weeks ago

Maybe even the sayings of Confucious. 

Dig
Professor Participates
9  Dig    2 weeks ago

Religion in public schools is just creepy. Wasn't it found unconstitutional a few decades ago? 

And on the subject of creepy, so is having little children make a political pledge of allegiance.

IMO, when it comes to public schools, religion and politics should be checked at the door.

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.1  Krishna  replied to  Dig @9    2 weeks ago
so is having little children make a political pledge of allegiance.

When I was in Elementary school we had to recite The Pledge everyday. Most (all?) of the kids had no idea what it meant! 

Most of us thought that most adults were a bit weird anyway-- and that we had to "play along" so we wouldn't get punished (or at least reprimanded).

Reciting The Pledge wasn't too onerous, so we recited it and then the class moved on to the next nonsense the teacher was going to impose on us!

Snuffy
Professor Participates
9.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  Krishna @9.1    2 weeks ago

I did always love Red Skelton's speech on the Pledge of Allegiance. It's also on YouTube to watch.

Red Skelton … The Pledge Of Allegiance (goldenrulesociety.org)