╌>

Happy Indigenous Peoples Day

Category:  History & Sociology

By:  kavika  •  yesterday  •  48 comments

Happy Indigenous Peoples Day

A day to celebrate the indigenous people of the America’s and for the Indigenous people to celebrate their culture/language/history and their resilience.

For many  of us it is also time to reflect on our ancestors and their lives and history. I am Métis, pronounced “may tee” Ojibwe and  Cree. My 5x grand parents were Little Crane and his wife Swift Flyer. Born in the late 1600’s. Aissane (Little Shell l) and Snake Women my 4x grandparent's. Through the centuries Red Bear, Black Duck, Walks With Thunder, LaTourette, Little Shell ll and lll, Old Wild Rice, Little Shell Woman, Whirling Girl, Stands Tall, Thunder Water, and Tamashaw are my ancestors

Little Shell l, ll, lll are the hereditary chiefs of the Little Shell band of Ojibwe of which I am a direct descendant.

Little Shell lll fought a 150 year battle with the US government and settlers that encroached on our land. One hundred and twenty years after his death and the “Ten cent treaty” the US government quit and awarded us land and recognition as the “Little Shell Band of Ojibwe” we are unique in that the Ojibwe, Cree, and Métis all are part of the band.  
My Ojibwe name is “Thunder that Flows From the River” Kavika is a nick name.

Wanakiwin (Peace)

Red Box Rules

Boohoo, Tansi to all my relations.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  author  Kavika     yesterday

Boohoo, Waciye and Tansi to all my relations.

That is my beautiful non Indian wife and me in the photo.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1    yesterday

happy original american day!

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @1.1    yesterday

Mii’wetch (thank you)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @1    yesterday

You make a beautiful couple

Wanakiwin....if I may

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2    yesterday

Thanks Trout and you may.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @1.2.1    22 hours ago

You are a handsome couple for sure.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.3  author  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.2    20 hours ago

Thanks, Perrie. 

shona1
Professor Quiet
1.3  shona1  replied to  Kavika @1    yesterday

Morning...and now you have got Aussies to add to the mob as well...

And you can't get better than that..

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.3.1  author  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @1.3    yesterday

That’s true Shona.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @1    20 hours ago

With her nickname being "Red" I assume that white hair was once a different colour.  Are you standing in front of a sunrise or a sunset?

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.4.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.4    20 hours ago

You better clean your glasses, Buzz her hair is blonde not white. Her natural red hair was fading.

it was sunset.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.4.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @1.4.1    20 hours ago

Cleaned my glasses - still looks white to me.  I wouldn't be surprised if this crappy computer is the reason.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.4.3  author  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.4.2    12 hours ago

LOL

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @1    20 hours ago

Happy Indigenous Peoples Day.  A recognition much too long delayed.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.5.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.5    20 hours ago

For sure, Buzz.

evilone
Professor Guide
2  evilone    yesterday

Aanii, my friend. Wiingezin and have yourself a fantastic day! 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Kavika   replied to  evilone @2    yesterday

Thanks Evilone.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    yesterday

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1  author  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @3    yesterday

Thank you JR.

CB
Professor Principal
4  CB    yesterday

Happy Indigenous Peoples Day! Two beautiful people. (Cheeky: I notice 'Red' is not a "Ginger"!) 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  author  Kavika   replied to  CB @4    yesterday

Thanks CB and no she isn’t….,,lol

Dig
Professor Participates
5  Dig    yesterday

A good day to walk a dry streambed looking for arrowheads or other artifacts and ponder deep history.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Dig @5    yesterday

A perfect day for that, Dig.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
6  MrFrost    yesterday

Happy Indigenous Peoples Day! 

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1  author  Kavika   replied to  MrFrost @6    yesterday

Thanks Mr. Frost.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
7  afrayedknot    yesterday

A long overdue but hopeful development…from NPR:

“More than 4,500 square miles of ocean will soon be protected by the federal government off the Central California coast. The Biden administration is creating a new national marine sanctuary, which will be the third largest in the U.S.

The sanctuary is also the first to be led by Indigenous people. It was nominated by members of the Northern Chumash Tribe, who drove the effort for more than decade to protect the rugged coastline that is their historical homeland.

Going forward, the new Chumash Heritage National Marine Sanctuary will be managed in partnership with tribes and Indigenous groups in the area, who will advise the federal government. It marks a growing movement under the Biden administration to give tribes a say over the lands and waters that were taken from them.”

A start. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1  author  Kavika   replied to  afrayedknot @7    yesterday

I have been following that for some time. A perfect comment to add to Indigenous People’s Day.

Hallux
Professor Principal
8  Hallux    yesterday

About the Indigenous Leaders stamp series

The Indigenous Leaders series, launched in 2022, highlights the contributions of modern-day First Nations, Inuit and Métis leaders who dedicated their lives to preserving their culture and improving the quality of life of Indigenous Peoples in Canada.

About Elisapie

Unconditional love for her homeland and tender reflections on Inuit culture and traditions are deeply entrenched in the work of Inuk singer-songwriter, actor, director and activist Elisapie (b. Elisapie Isaac, 1977).

Raised in the remote community of Salluit in Nunavik, the northernmost region of Quebec, she began singing on stage as a teenager with her uncle. After moving to Montréal to pursue communications and music, Elisapie wrote and directed the prize-winning documentary   Sila piqujippat ( If the Weather Permits ) and won a JUNO Award as part of the musical duo Taima.

She gained acclaim as a solo artist with the Félix Award-winning   The Ballad of the Runaway Girl   (2018), which showcased her storytelling talent and her ability to sing effortlessly in Inuktitut, English and French.   Inuktitut   (2023) is a nostalgic compilation of covers that she performs in her mother tongue of songs by artists – from Blondie to Led Zeppelin – who influenced her growing up. It earned her the 2024 JUNO Award for Contemporary Indigenous Artist or Group of the Year.

Elisapie is the creator and producer of   Le grand solstice , a musical and cultural celebration televised annually to mark National Indigenous Peoples Day.

About the design

The booklet cover features shows an enlargement of the stamp image.

The stamp image features a studio portrait of Elisapie by Leeor Wild. In the background is part of a landscape photo taken by Paul Ozzello in Nunavik, the region of northern Quebec where she was born and raised.

The inside of the booklet features six stamps, a quote from Elisapie, and a larger version of the landscape photo featured on the stamp.

The back features a short text on Elisapie, a bar code and credits.

About Christi Belcourt

Christi Belcourt (b. 1966) is a Métis visual artist and environmentalist who uses her talent to celebrate nature, honour her ancestors, advocate for the protection of land and water, and support Indigenous knowledge, culture and language.

A descendant of the Métis community of Manitow Sâkahikan (Lac Ste. Anne) in Alberta, she is well known for her intricate paintings that emulate Métis floral beadwork. Her work can be found in many private and public collections, including the National Gallery of Canada, the Art Gallery of Ontario and the Gabriel Dumont Institute.

The power of Belcourt’s art lies in both its beauty and its message. One of her most poignant works is   Walking With Our Sisters , a multi-artist installation of more than 2,000 pairs of beaded moccasin tops honouring the lives of missing or murdered Indigenous women, Two-Spirit people and children.

As co-founders of the community-based Onaman Collective, she and Isaac Murdoch volunteer their time to create resources and space for land-based Indigenous practices, including language revitalization.

Belcourt’s many honours include a Governor General’s Innovation Award, for advocating for the rights of Indigenous Peoples and recognition of their lands.

About the design

The booklet cover features detail from Christi Belcourt’s painting   Reverence for Life .

The inside of the booklet includes six stamps, a quote from Belcourt, and a large-format sticker featuring her painting Joy. It also features a light, monotone blue version of detail from   Reverence for Life .

About Josephine Mandamin

Known as Grandmother Water Walker, Anishinaabe Elder Josephine “Biidaasige” Mandamin (1942-2019) trekked more than 25,000 kilometres – including around all five Great Lakes – to raise awareness of the need to preserve the sacred, life-giving gift of water.

The residential school Survivor and fourth-degree member of the Three Fires Midewiwin Society was born on Wiikwemkoong Unceded Territory on Manitoulin Island, Ontario, and lived most of her life in Thunder Bay, serving as a spiritual adviser and healer.

In 2002, she and a group of other Anishinaabe women founded the Mother Earth Water Walk movement to encourage people to protect water from pollution and other threats. Between 2003 and 2017, she led walks along the shores of waterways in Canada and the United States – singing, praying, and sharing the traditional ceremonies and knowledge of her people.

Her many honours included the Meritorious Service Cross, for her contributions to Indigenous leadership and reconciliation, and the Lieutenant Governor’s Ontario Heritage Award for Excellence in Conservation.

Mandamin’s legacy lives on through community water walks and the dedicated Anishinaabe women she mentored, who continue to carry out her work and share her powerful message of environmental conservation.

About the design

The booklet cover features a photograph of Josephine Mandamin and a stylized illustration of water, the circle representing the interconnectedness of water and life.

The inside of the booklet features six stamps, a quote from Mandamin, a stylized illustration of water, and the copper pail she often carried on her walks.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Hallux @8    yesterday

An excellent addition to the article, Hallux.
Thank you.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
9  1stwarrior    yesterday

Many of us have waited for this day to finally be "recognized".  20,000 + years as inhabitants on this North American continent - thousands upon thousands of contributions/gifts of medicines, foods, life-styles, laws, customs freely given to non-indigenous peoples 'cause "that's what/the way we do".

I wish all the best to you and Red and your extended families, NiiJii/niichkiwenh.  May your lives continue to be teaching, giving and loving.

Chukma.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
9.1  MrFrost  replied to  1stwarrior @9    yesterday
I wish all the best to you and Red and your extended families, NiiJii/niichkiwenh.  May your lives continue to be teaching, giving and loving.

Well said. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.2  author  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @9    yesterday

Migwetch niiji,

As we walk the Red Road in balance the Great Mystery (Creator) will continue to guide us it has made us the most resilient people on earth.

We are still here.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
10  Gsquared    yesterday

Indigenous Peoples Day is a wonderful thing to commemorate and celebrate.

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Gsquared @10    yesterday

Yes it is, G. The original people of the America’s.

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @10.1    yesterday

you should have planted a flag in europe when you visited, and then claimed it for all the tribes in america ...

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @10.1.1    yesterday

A good suggestion, Devan.

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @10.1.2    6 hours ago

... same damn thing, isn't it?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11  JohnRussell    yesterday

The indifference and cruelty displayed by some Columbus fans is wrenching. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
11.1  Gsquared  replied to  JohnRussell @11    yesterday

They're not really "Columbus fans" as much as they are white supremacists.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.1.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Gsquared @11.1    yesterday

BINGO, G.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.2  author  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @11    yesterday

It is what one would expect from bigots and racists, JR.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
12  Perrie Halpern R.A.    22 hours ago

Happy Indigenous People Day to us! Lots of pride for the long road that our people have gone and made it through to the other side! 

Kavika
Professor Principal
12.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12    20 hours ago

Yup, we are still here.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
13  Split Personality    19 hours ago

Fuck Columbus.

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Split Personality @13    12 hours ago

Simple and to the point, perfect.

B1HVVUyLAhL._CLa%7C2140%2C2000%7C71lwRZlIqML.png%7C0%2C0%2C2140%2C2000%2B0.0%2C0.0%2C2140.0%2C2000.0_AC_SX466_.png

Split Personality
Professor Guide
13.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @13.1    51 minutes ago

I ordered three for upcoming holiday presents for my NA ladies.

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  Split Personality @13.1.1    31 seconds ago
I ordered three for upcoming holiday presents for my NA ladies.

Good on you, SP,

Kavika
Professor Principal
14  author  Kavika     2 hours ago