╌>

Brother: Ali's health deteriorating

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  9 comments

Muhammad Ali , the man once as famous for his sharp tongue as he was for his ferocious fists, now has difficulty speaking due to his ongoing fight with Parkinsons disease.

The boxing legend, 72,who has been battling debilitating Parkinsons disease for years, has become increasingly frail and is now largely housebound.And fresh health fears were sparked after he was too ill to attend the premiere of a new movie about his life last week and could not take part in any of the filming.

Speaking at the screening of I Am Ali in Hollywood, his brother Rahman, 71, toldthe Sunday People: 'I have not been able to talk to my brother about this because he is sick.

'He doesnt speak too well. But he is proud that we are here for him. He has given this film his blessing.'

The film is a closer look at Ali's family life and, according to Hind's report, also includes excerpts from former boxers like George Foreman and Mike Tyson. Sadly, Ali has not yet been able to see the film.

While the film looks like a fascinating and touching look back at the life of one of the most impactful public figures of the 20th century, it's difficult to hear of Ali's health deteriorating at the same time.

A person who once seemed larger than life as a younger man, Ali's public appearances have now become rather rare, highlighted by his presence in the 2012 Opening Ceremony at the London Olympics.

But a film being released about his life at this time is also a reminder that Ali's legacy is not his ongoing battle with Parkinson's.

What we'll remember is his gold medal and his fights against Joe Frazier. We'll remember him triumphing over Sonny Liston and George Foreman, or being needled by Howard Cosell. We'll remember him changing his name from Cassius Clay for religious reasons. We'll remember him refusing to fight in Vietnam and standing by the decision, even when he was arrested.

And of course, we'll remember "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Parkinsons disease has taken a lot from Ali. What it can't take is his legacy.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

Ali...You will always be known as " the Greatest"

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    10 years ago

Bless him. Last time I saw him, he could barely creep along. I think he is in pain, and suffering. He is such a good man. He gives so much of himself to this city, and to his center, and to everyone. He is in my prayers. I do not wish him to suffer-- he has a good heart.

This is the Muhammed Ali Center in Louisville-- it's a great place!

3260_discussions.jpg?width=550

Nona62
Professor Silent

Thanks youfor the picture..it is a beautiful building. Not only was he a tremendous boxer, he had/has a great sense of humor as well. Wonderful person for sure!!

jennilee
Freshman Silent
link   jennilee    10 years ago
Yep! He will.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     10 years ago

He had the courage of his convictions. To me, that's what makes him great.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Muhammad Ali's place as one of the most notable people of the 20th century is secure.

Absolutely!! He will be long remembered after he is gone.

Nona62
Professor Silent

I doubt that he ever said anything that he couldn't back up.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    10 years ago

"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." I think he was known to stretch the truth a little.

Nona62
Professor Silent

...lol....Just a little!!