╌>

California boy gets detention for sharing school-prepared lunch with another student

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  14 comments

California boy gets detention for sharing school-prepared lunch with another student

A 13-year-old California boy was reportedly placed in detention for sharing a school-prepared lunch with another student.

Kyle Bradford, a student at Weaverville Elementary School in Weaverville, Calif., was disciplined after sharing his chicken burrito with a friend who didn't like the cheese sandwich he was given by the cafeteria, KRCR-TV reported.

"It seemed like he couldn't get a normal lunch so I just wanted to give mine to him because I wasn't really that hungry and it was just going to go in the garbage if I didn't eat it," Bradford told the website.

The Trinity Alps Unified School District, however, has rules that prohibit students from sharing food -- claiming that students can have allergies their classmates may not be aware of, according to the website.

The policies set by the district say that students can have allergies that another student may not be aware of.

"We have a policy that prohibits students from exchanging meals. Of course if students are concerned about other students not having enough to eat we would definitely want to consider that, but because of safety and liability we cannot allow students to actually exchange meals," Tom Barnett, the Superintendent of the Trinity Alps Unified School District, told the website.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

The policies set by the district say that students can have allergies that another student may not be aware of.

Nona62
Professor Silent

I would hope so..

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    10 years ago
According to the article, both lunches were provided by the cafeteria. Why did the kid choose a cheese sandwich if he didn't want it? Something doesn't add up.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Kyle Bradford, a student at Weaverville Elementary School in Weaverville, Calif., was disciplined after sharing his chicken burrito with a friend who didn't like the cheese sandwich he was given by the cafeteria, KRCR-TV reported

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
From the article:"A 13-year-old California boy was reportedly placed in detention for sharing a school-prepared lunch with another student."

Nona62
Professor Silent

Doesn't that mean that the boy that got the Taco Burrito, shared it with the boy who gat a cheese sandwich? I'm confused...Frown.gif

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
That's what I mean. I assume the one kid chose the cheese sandwich, when he just as easily could have chosen the burrito. I'll agree that the two weeks detention is ridiculous though. I wonder if they considered a sane and logical solution - like explaining the policy and asking them to refrain from sharing food in the future.

jennilee
Freshman Silent
link   jennilee    10 years ago
Does the school know every child's allergies? How can they serve anything to anyone if they don't? Sounds like they are taking more of a risk than this sweet little boy who shared his lunch with a friend.

jennilee
Freshman Silent
link   jennilee    10 years ago
If a child doesn't have enough money in his lunch fund, the cafeteria worker has a standard lunch they give them. Sounds like this might be the case here, just a guess, though.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
Ahhh - he got the welfare special. That makes more sense. I always packed my kids' lunches, so I don't know how all that works.

Nona62
Professor Silent

OK..got it...but maybe the kid that chose the cheese sandwich ,suddenly decided hereally didn't have a taste for a cheese sandwich....hard telling....sigh..

Nona62
Professor Silent

Well, all I can say is, I think it was very kind of the boy to offer his Burrito.. (even though they aren't supposed)

Nona62
Professor Silent

Well said!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
I'm sure it's difficult to raise a child with severe food allergies. If I had to constantly worry about my kid being exposed to some innocent food offering that could land him in the hospital, or the morgue, I'd probably be the reason that this policy exists at their school.Frankly, I'm shocked that they still serve peanuts on airplanes. I've never been asked if I'm allergic to peanuts before having them offered to me on a plane, so how would they know if there's someone on the plane who could have a deadly reaction to just the smell of peanuts?