╌>

Monarch Butterfly Fest 2014

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  11 comments

Monarch Butterfly Fest 2014

3504_discussions.jpg?width=750 3505_discussions.jpg?width=750 3506_discussions.jpg?width=750 Monarch Butterfly

Since the Monarchs wouldn't come to me, I went to them. these were taken at

a Monarch Butterfly Fest that is held every year. I think in a few days they will be released so they can migrate to Mexico.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

This is the third year I have attended this Fest..it's always amazing to see hundreds of Monarchs in a tent,and have themland on your head, shirt, hand, wherever! They are so calm, evenwith all of the people around watching them..it's quite an experience.

Nona62
Professor Silent

I have only seen ! Monarch this entire Summer, which is very unusual. A few Summers ago, I

had hundreds of Monarchs feeding on my Marigolds...what a sight!

Since they didn't come to me...I went to them. I sure hope they don't become extinct ,I love Butterflies, I have a smalltattoo of a pretty blue Butterfly on my ankle.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     10 years ago

They are really beautiful. As MM said, round up kills what they need to live on.

There are many birds/animals/insects that are being killed off my pesticides.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Thanks Kav.There are safer alternatives I'm sure. If people would just take the time to find an alternative. We are destroying the earth ,which I consider to be a gift to us.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    10 years ago

I recall that when I was a kid in Canada, it was the most common butterfly I saw. I certainly don't see any of them where I am now.

Nona62
Professor Silent

They are pretty common where I live. (except for this year)A few years ago, I saw several types of Butterflies in my yard.....it was awesome! I think it was last year, I went to the Chicago Botanical Gardens ,and they had almost every Butterfly there imaginable. It really saddens me to think that these beautiful insects could possible become extinct.

Nona62
Professor Silent

I hope they keep their promise!! They are one of the most beautiful insects in the world. IMO...

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    10 years ago

Absolutely beautiful article, Nona. I haven't seen any this summer, either. At least I got to see yours. Thank you.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Thank you Grump! If there hadn't beenthe Monarch Fest, I would have only seen the one....Frown.gif

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
link   Uptownchick    10 years ago

Thank you thank you thank you!! So pretty...my most favorite butterfly! I used to see them around every year but it's been quite a while since I have...that's such a shame. You're lucky to have the Fest...sounds like a wonderful experience!

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol You're welcome! I think this is my 3rd year going to see it, and I plan on going every year.It's amazing!