╌>

South Carolina teen sues DMV after being told to remove makeup

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  15 comments

A 16-year-old in South Carolina is suing the state's Department of Motor Vehicles because the agency won't allow the teen to take a driver's license photo wearing makeup.

Chase Culpepper, who was born male, regularly wears makeup and either androgynous or women's clothing. The teen does not identify with gender-specific pronouns. Culpepper told reporters Tuesday that being ordered by officials to remove what they called a disguise was humiliating.

The lawsuit filed in federal court Tuesday says the DMV violated the teen's rights.

The agency wouldn't let Culpepper wear makeup for the photo because of a policy that bans license pictures when someone is purposefully altering his or her appearance.

The Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund says that rule is unconstitutional because it is vague and arbitrary. The DMV had no immediate response.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

This is ridiculous, him wearing make up has nothing to do with his driving skills.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    10 years ago

The photo itselfmight not have anythingto do with driving skills, Nona, but it has everything to do with identification.

This kid needs to shut up and deal with it. When the DMV makes him take off his head-wearbecause hats/head-covers are not allowed, not even when the subject is a buck-baldbreast cancer chemotherapy patient, then I might have compassion for his 'cause'. On second thought, that's a total lie.I have zerotolerance for idiots like this. At 16, he is not calling the shots, nor should he be.

On a personal note, I was upset when it happened to me, but Iunderstood the reasoning behind the regulations. I also walked out, rather than have my photo takenwhile I lookedso ill.

*edit* Sorry to be so cranky about it, Nona.

Nona62
Professor Silent

No worries...Let's say he takes the test without the make-up, once he gets his license, he'll put it back on...then there will still be a different looking person on the license, than the person that is driving.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    10 years ago
He does not identify with gender-specific pronouns? Too bad; English doesn't care what he thinks. Entitlement generation...

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
I concur. Showing up as the Joker or Tammy Faye Baker defeats the purpose of a photo ID.

Nona62
Professor Silent

The Joker or Tammy Faye Baker"...lol...

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    10 years ago

Chase made up as a girl:

3587_discussions.jpg

Chase in his driver's license photo with make up removed:

3588_discussions.jpg These two photos look like two different people, I think. Shouldn't your driver's license have a photo of the real you on it?

Nona62
Professor Silent

IF he had no make-up on when he had the picture taken, then wear make - up every day (as usual) it wouldn't like the picture on his license....IMO (just saying)Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    10 years ago

Ugh. If my driver's license is the real me, then I'm in BIG trouble. The guy in front of me was about 6'6", and they jacked the camera up for him. When I came in, they just pointed the camera down. I look like something scared up out of a brush pile. Frown.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

True, but I think transgender are very "concerned" about their appearance. ( not meantas a negative comment )

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol....Dear Dowser, I don't think too many people like their Drivers License photos...

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    10 years ago

A driver's license is a privilege, not a right. If he wants to be a drag queen, that's his business but he shouldn't be entitled to foist his gender confusion on everybody else. Can't be seen out of drag for the purpose of a photo ID? Walk or catch the bus. Same goes for circus clowns, Muslims in veils, spider man etc.

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent
link   LoneRanger01    10 years ago

suing over a DR photo,...what's next,. .are there going to be criminals suing over not enough leg room in the back of a cop car......

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
If that's all he was wearing, I don't see why it was a problem with the DMV.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    10 years ago

As long as the rule is applied equally along all lines to all people, the rules are the rules. Becuase it's noit what he wants to be, he is what he actually is until he legally changes it.