╌>

CelllPhones

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  8 comments

CelllPhones

Modern technology is wonderful. Almost everyone in the world owns a cell phone.

They are great for emergencies to be sure. But, they can be harmful if they're the

wrong hands, especially in children's hands. I have 2 questions....

! Should children have cell phones?

2. At what age should a child be allowed to have a cell phone?

I would appreciate any thoughts on this....Thanks You!!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

What do you think about children having a cell phone?

Nona62
Professor Silent

I agree.. .there are too many crazies out there.

Nona62
Professor Silent

True, if they have all of the games and what-not, that may be the only thing they would do, and never learn how to deal with the real world.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    10 years ago

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    10 years ago

Kids can have a phone so mom and dad can keep in touch with them as necessary. It can be a simple phone, no extras, no internet, no nothing. Maybe it could be programmed to only call and receive calls from family. My grandsons had simple, inexpensive and basic phones and we were often glad they could be reached when we needed to do so.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    10 years ago

Dang, Larry. I wish I was a teen again.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    10 years ago

Actually, in Canada, there were phones that were set to only send and receive calls and messages from the parents' phones and emergency numbers, such as police. I don't see anything wrong with children having such a phone, provided they are too young not to limit their calls to ones that are necessary. There is a saying "You're never alone with a mobile phone." The world is not the same as it was when I was a kid, so personally I would encourage children having these kinds of phones.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    10 years ago

Nona,

Here is something that you and every parent should know.

There are simple cell phones that are nothing more than simple portable phones. No texting, no email, no internet. They can be programed to dial only certain numbers (including 911). They even have GPS tracking so you always know where your kid is. These are wonderful for keeping your kid safe. Here are some:

I am not sure if the question is at what age, but whether or not they need one. If you are a working parent then you might want your kid to have one.

BTW for those pesky teens in your life.

You call them and text them and they never respond. Yet you know that they are responding to their friends. There is an application for android phones called "Ignore no more" that locks down your teens phone till they text you or call you. It does leave 911 available.

Here are some other neat apps for unruly teens:

DinnerTime App
Cost: Free
DinnerTime helps parents remind their children about taking time out from their mobile devices to study, get the sleep they need, and of course, enjoy mealtime as a family. Features include Dinner Time, Bed Time and Take a Break control options.

Canary
Canary raises an alarm to parents and sends them immediate alerts when their teens are texting, talking on the phone or using social media while on the road. Canary knows when your teen unlocks their phone and alerts you when they are riding in a car going over 12 mph.

App Certain
Use AppCertain to manage your kids' app use by keeping track of all the apps your kids have downloaded and knowing more about those apps. There is also a curfew mode to turn off the child's access to apps.

Norton Family
Norton Family keeps you in the know about which websites kids visit and helps avoid unsuitable content. The app sends you an email when kids attempt to visit a blocked site, so you can start a conversation about appropriate content.

My Mobile Watchdog
Cost: $4.95 per child per month, or $44.95 per year
Mobile Watchdog provides parents with over 20 parental controls that didn't come standard on your child's phone. Monitor text messages, photos, call history, and Internet usage. Parents can also designate certain time slots to restrict usage and block certain apps from working. It also comes with GPS tracking to know where the phone is at all times.

Hope this helps!