╌>

14 ads that changed the world

Category:  Other

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient2  •  10 years ago  •  14 comments

By Drake Baer, Aaron Taube and Richard Feloni, Business Insider (reported by Yahoo.ca Finance), August 21, 2014

3644_discussions.png
The first newspaper ad in America came way back in 1704 when someone was trying to sell a house on Long Island. Since then, the advertising industry has undergone a huge transformation.

Over the years, we have seen dozens of ads that have done much more than just persuade us to buy a product or service. The very best campaigns have affected the way we communicate and interact with one another, from the coffee breaks we enjoy, to the clothes we wear to work, to the videos we share online.

With that in mind, we gathered 14 ads that have shaped our culture.

Click this link to check out the 14 ads, and expand the list with those you think had a great effect on society:

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/ads-that-changed-the-world-180746057.html;_ylt=AuTt.KMGhCnRvQnia6fwNkykRptG;_ylu=X3oDMTEzMWxibWJqBG1pdAMEcG9zAzEwBHNlYwNNZWRpYU1vc2FpY0xpc3RMUENB;_ylg=X3oDMTBhdnVpNmo3BGxhbmcDZW4tQ0E-;_ylv=3

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    10 years ago

I'd like to teach the world to sing

In perfect harmony . . .

Coca-Cola

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    10 years ago

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    10 years ago

Okay Sixpick, what was it?

sixpick
Professor Quiet

Sorry Buzz, I wasn't thinking. Let me see if I can find something in print.

I'll just have to tell you at the end of the days programing the National Anthem played with the words fading in and out on the TV. The subliminal messages that were barely visible in between the changing of the words read something like this article describes. There's video in this article as well, but maybe the article will help you to get an idea of what the video showed pictures with the National Anthem playing. Sorry about that. This is the best I can do is give you this link.

Of course this article is includes a movie trailer and basically the highlighted words appeared in the National Anthem, at least it did in the video. Just thought it would be interesting, but forgot you couldn't see it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Can't open that link either - never mind.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

sixpick
Professor Quiet

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Both of these are just blanks.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    10 years ago

And Coca Cola actually did contain Cocaine at one point:

History

Coca-Cola was originally one of hundreds of coca-based drinks that claimed medicinal properties and benefits to health; early marketing claimed that Coca-Cola alleviated headaches and acted as a "brain and nerve tonic".[Coca leaves were used in Coca-Cola's preparation and the small amount of cocaine present in the product gave the drinker a "buzz"].

In 1903 Coca-Cola removed cocaine from the formula, substituting caffeine as the stimulating ingredient, while dropping all the product's medicinal claims.

In response to increasing pressure from the United States Food and Drug Administration, which was carrying on a campaign against harmful food ingredients and misleading claims, Coca-Cola replaced unprocessed coca leaves with "spent" coca leaves, which flavored the product without providing any drug effect. It is believed that coca leaves are imported from Peru, then treated by US chemical company Stepan, which then sells the de-cocainized residue to Coca-Cola.

The Coca-Cola Company declines to comment upon whether or not Coca-Cola contains spent coca leaves, deferring to the secret nature of the formula. Since 1929, the beverage has contained only trace amounts of cocaine alkaloids, which do not have any drug effect.

There's much more HERE

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    10 years ago

The one that made me think the most was the commercial with the crying Indian. Here is the final view... I had to snapshot it, because it couldn't be imbedded.

3645_discussions.png?width=450

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Coca Cola killed my best friend. When we shared an apartment during college days he must have been drinking a few bottles of it every day. We would play gin rummy to determine who had to carry the bottles back to the store - even though I didn't drink coke then and since he was a better player I ended up carrying the bottles back most of the time. Later in life he would quaff the 2-litre bottles - I would imagine a couple a day at least. When Coca Cola switched to the "new taste" in the 1980s he went to every store that still had a supply of the original formula and bought up their stock, storing cases upon cases of it, because to him it was no longer the drink he loved. For him it was a banner day when they returned to the classic but he didn't survive it long. He wouldn't drink the diet version. Due to all that sugar (and maybe from carrying all those cases of coke) he died of a heart attack at the age of 48. Because of him I'm really careful about sugar and I've outlived him by about 3 decades.

Could Coca Cola's massive advertising (It's just as bad here) be blamed for his death?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     10 years ago

''Keep American Beautiful'' was the motto, with Iron Eyes Cody as the Indian(he wasn't Indian, butItalian)in the commercial.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Ha ha!!! Hollywood used to do that all the time - use Caucasians with makeup for Indian and Chinese roles (Charlie Chan). At least they used Italians for some of the Godfather roles (Pacino, de Niro).