╌>

California restaurant bans crying children

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  51 comments

A popular restaurant in Monterey has offended parents with a sign they posted that prohibits strollers, high chairs, children crying or making loud noises.

Old Fishermans Grotto initially posted two signs two years ago but has recently added a third sign that caught the attention of some tourists, reports KSBW .

"I think it's ridiculous," Teresa Colombani, a tourist to the Monterey area told KSBW. "I think kids need to know how to behave in restaurants, and if you, don't take them to them, they don't know how to behave and they shouldn't be kept hidden away, so I think it's ridiculous. Kids should be allowed in restaurants."

Although the sign does not explicitly ban kids from dining, restaurant owner Chris Shake said that customers who do not heed the establishments warning will be asked to leave.

"If a place has the rules, that's what the rules are," Shake told KSBW. "You go in and abide by the rules or you find a place more suitable for you."

The station also reported that at least one customer, Niki Riviere, was turned away from the restaurant because she wasnt able to get a high chair for her 6-month-old child.

"I'm completely shocked because I never had that happen," the mother told KSBW. "Usually they cater, at least have a high chair for the child, but it seemed like they didn't want any child. They said the child can't make any noises so they turned us away."

Shake remains unapologetic and claims the ban has actually boosted his restaurants popularity.

"Well, let's put it this way -- I haven't had a down year for over 20 years and our business continues to grow," Shake said.

Old Fishermans Grotto is not the only restaurant with a no-kids policy. Last summer, Houstons La Fisheria began banning children under the age of 8 after 7 p.m.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

"If a place has the rules, that's what the rules are," Shake told KSBW. "You go in and abide by the rules or you find a place more suitable for you."

Nona62
Professor Silent

ROFL

Nona62
Professor Silent

Some children can be great entertainment to customers, but when a child is screaming at the top of their lungs, throwing silverware and things on the floor, then it's time to go home.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    10 years ago

Simple enough!

People with children should boycott this restaurant, talk about a win-win!

Nona62
Professor Silent

Take your kid to the squat and gobble and let me enjoy dinner. ROFL

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    10 years ago

At two and a half, my girls went through a awful period. We went to a nice restaurant with another family. My girls started to carry on. We warned them about their behavior and it continued. We made our apologies to our friends (who had a very easy going daughter) and left. No one should have to be forced to listen to constant whining.

BTW, they never did it again.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

No one should have to be forced to listen to constant whining.

An important truth and life lesson!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    10 years ago

Only once, did my son cry and misbehave in a restaurant. I removed him, immediately, and we sat outside until he could calm down and we could go back inside. Yeah, my meal was cold and unappetizing, but that's the price you pay. He never acted out again.

I don't think it's right to prohibit kids, but I understand why they are. Parents are responsible for their children's behavior when they are young. If you kid is acting up, take them outside until they can behave.

We flew to Cancun on a plane. When we got on the plane, everyone looked at us as if we had brought Ebola onto the plane. They all rolled their eyes and a definite "murmur" went through the crowd. We worked with my son, who was 2, kept his ears clear with small treats he could chew and swallow, had milk available for him, kept him amused, talked to him, etc. He let out not one peep. When we left the airplane, everyone near us said, "When we saw your son, we were all sick. We could imagine a 4 hour flight with a crying child. But he was as good as gold." And he was.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Good for you Dowser! I'll bet you were so proud of him...(and yourselves) for having the foresight to bring along those goodies)

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    10 years ago

"If you are going to misbehave and cry, we are going to sit in the car" is all it took with my son and grandsons. They really would rather sit in the restaurant and be entertained by all the activity. We only had to do it a couple times for them to figure out we meant business. How simple is that?

Remember, it's the parents being idiots. The kids are just being kids.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    10 years ago

It wasn't as good as the "Eat and Hurl".

Nona62
Professor Silent

I heard "Arf and Barf" is reasonably priced.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Remember, it's the parents being idiots. The kids are just being kids.

You got it!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

Personally I think this is about the particular clientele of this restaurant not wantingto rub elbows with people that can't afford a nanny. Now, that's a possibility.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

We both did everything we could think of to keep him happy and amused. I was glad that he had been so good-- but then, he was a good baby! The trip wouldn't have been fun without him!

We've not flown anywhere since. Now, you couldn't bring milk on a plane, etc. It was in August of 2001...

Times have changed...

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

about the particular clientele of this restaurant not wantingto rub elbows with people that can't afford a nanny

Exactly and people with children and people who enjoy a good tantrum with dinner should boycott this restaurant to teach them a lesson

Nona62
Professor Silent

Times sure have changed. In this day and age, Matthew probably would have had his diapers checked by Security.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Of course!! lol

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

Never had the pleasure of eating at Old Fisherman's Grotto,but having manners,respect for others and knowing how to behave in public as a child and an adult has nothing to do with being raised poor or rich.

It is not as important to me (or most others) to put people in groups with labels as it seems to you.

The article makes a key point

"You go in and abide by the rules or you find a place more suitable for you."

Of course all restaurants could be modeled after Chuck E Cheese where screaming, yelling and running around is not only permitted but encouraged. By the way I enjoy taking grandkids and nieces/nephews to Chuck E Cheese as well eating good food in calm and peaceful restaurant.

jennilee
Freshman Silent
link   jennilee    10 years ago
Exactly! but i would bet the parents of these obnoxius kids don't know how to follow rules and invoke good manners either. they probably think that they can do whatever they want, and their whiny little kids should be allowed to also

pokermike
Freshman Silent
link   pokermike    10 years ago

Now if they could only ban crying children on planes, or at least have a soundproof time-out room for them.

palma
Freshman Silent
link   palma    10 years ago

That's the difference Dowser, you prepared yourself and you were concerned about others. What we see these days are parents who don't care for their own children let alone other passengers/customers. I've flown with screaming children as it is horrible. Not crying. Screaming top of their lungs because the electric instruments had to be turned off for take-off and landing. The mother did absolutely nothing. To have a quiet flight these days is rare. And we're not talking babiees. We're talking children who can understand what is being said to them.

My daughter frequently accompanied me as much as I could when I had to travel for work, sometimes flights as long as 12 hours. I never had a problem with her. One conversation on the do and don'ts and being told that one misbehaving and there woul dbe no more flying was all it took. But parents these days don't have time for education. They expect the ipad and Siri to do their job

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Part of the reason that children cry on planes is that their sinuses are not fully developed, so the changes in air pressure hurt their little ears and faces. About all you can do is keep them swallowing, all the time. Milk or gummy chewies or something that keeps them swallowing is the only way they have to equalize the pressure in their heads.

As hard as it is on us to have to listen to it, it is worst for them-- they are in pain! And YES, I have to always remind myself of this, to keep from screaming myself.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Oh YES!!!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Sad, but very true!!!

Everyone has to remember that I'm old enough to be his grandma. That may be a lot of it! Smile.gif

palma
Freshman Silent
link   palma    10 years ago

I know that Dowser and I can understand, but it is crying and I also feel sorry for them. What I am talking about is screaming, tantrums because they dont get what they want, because the mother is not paying attention to them. Or kicking the back of the seat, have you had one of those? I used to read books for my daughter during the flight. You take measures to keep them busy.

Nona62
Professor Silent

One time many years ago, there was a little boy behind me that kept standing up and looking over my shoulder. I talked to him to be friendly, then he decide to kick the back of my seat (with both feet), I then turned and gave the mother "the look", and she made him stop.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     10 years ago

When W.C. Fields was asked how he liked children, his replay was, ''Well Done''.Smile.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

ROFL ...

Nona62
Professor Silent

''Well Done'' I loved his type of humor.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    10 years ago

Some kids can be truly delightful!

Here's an old French condom commercial that makes that point:

Nona62
Professor Silent

Such an Angel!!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Absolutely, palma!

You can't blame bad parenting on the children! Grin.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

Are you going to baby sitBF? Smile.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    10 years ago

You take measures to keep them busy.

Or, alternatively-- you can take responsibility for your role as a parent, and take the trouble to bring them up properly.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

EEEK.

If Matthew ever threw food, he would be out of there in less than 10 seconds...

One of Matthew's cousins thought it was cute to sneak up on people and spit in their plates. I told his mother that we're not eating out together until he can behave. I'm sorry, but badly behaved children drives me nuts. She disciplined him, and now, we can eat out together again...

Nona62
Professor Silent

ROFL !!

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

I didn't imply anything, I said it straight out you find it important in your curiously rambling manner to get labels on people and divide them

I thought carefully beforeI typed that and it is not snark it is the absolute truth

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

Not unless he crawls into the backyard past the no trespassing signs, we are cooking out and eating on the deck

Beautiful evening after some earlier rain

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

It is refreshing to find out that you know an adult

Good for you

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    10 years ago

Here's an old French condom commercial that makes that point:

Here's the Egyptian version.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Gentlemen,..let's try to play nice please.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

nona

Gotta agree with flame that this is a civil and respectful exchange

We know and accept that there are fairly few issues that we will totally agree on and enjoy poking each other with sticks time to time

Nona62
Professor Silent

Thanks flame...on-line it's not easy to tell what exactly is meant since we can't see the person's face or hear the tone of voice.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

flameaway

Obfuscation of the issues is another way of explaining the introduction of rambling and other issues

And if you check obfuscate is the exact opposite of clarify in relation to issues and discussion

Have a great day !!!!

Smile.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

Robert, that's fine, like I said it's hard to really tell what emotions

are going on.Smile.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol Flame...I'm glad you guys didn't make me get out my paddle!! Smile.gif

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

I am counting the years till mine leave the house

Once they leave you count the days until they come back

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

Just tell him to take a wide route around the rottweiler

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol....I can settle this...I'll come over and grab the B BQ.. all 83 pounds of me!! 102.gif 102.gif lol...

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

We will save a big hunk for you next time you arein NE Ohio

The Rottweiler is quite old and though he barks pretty well, he is more show than go at this point

Somewhat like his graying owner I guess