╌>

Problems on the site

Category:  Other

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  10 years ago  •  32 comments

Problems on the site

Hi NewsTalkers!

I am writing this to keep the NT membership in the loop about the problems on the website. I am very aware of the fact that the site is having major issues. That people are having their computers freeze up and crash. That they can't sign on and are having problems posting. I am hearing you and care. Here is the the status of things and where we stand.

I have written Ning several times and I have heard back only once, and it didn't address our major issues. My guess is that with the second buyout of Glam Media by Mode Media, and the very slow roll out of 3.0, Ning has decided to provide very little help to the old platform.

This leaves us with a problem. I am very busy looking for a new platform to move to, since Ning doesn't seem to be responding to me, but we have a ton of archived material that I am sure you don't want to lose. One of the many issues, that I have been looking at is if I can move our archived material or do I have to start from scratch. My advice would be to save any articles that you have posted here on your computer, incase I can't find a way to move our material. But let's hope I can find a platform that I can do this with.

I appreciate your patience during this transition. I am still hoping that Ning will fix this and that we can stay here when they get 3.0 up and running, but I have to be ready with something else incase they don't.

I will keep you updated every step of the way.

Perrie~

Resident Advisor

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    10 years ago

Everyone hang in until this is corrected!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    10 years ago

Sorry you are having to deal with this! Thanks for the head's up! Grin.gif

jennilee
Freshman Silent
link   jennilee    10 years ago
The site always freezes up on my computer, and sometimes takes me to random ads. But it works just fine on my phone. I just can't edit from here, so if I make a spelling or grammar error, or hit reply by accident before I finish my thought, I can't fix it.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    10 years ago

Perrie

Thanks for the update

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    10 years ago

I'm not having any tech problems at all with NT.

KatPen
Freshman Silent
link   KatPen    10 years ago

Thank you, Perrie, for doing your best to help us out and keep us posted.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    10 years ago

No problems here. One day last week the page loading was iffy but nothing since.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    10 years ago

Strange how it comes and goes. Earlier it was awful, now for the last half-hour, it's just fine!

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    10 years ago
I am having no problems either. I mostly access through my phone.

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   Nona62    10 years ago

I haven't had any problems since my BIL installed "Kaspersky" on my computer.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

I got to this point -- that's not been the usual; as I type this, the icons at the top of this comment field are not showing. I will copy this then try and post it. Hit or miss for weeks -- more miss than hit.

Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty
Freshman Silent
link   Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty    10 years ago

Sounds like a malware/adware issue to me.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    10 years ago

That might be, but it wouldn't be affecting just this one site. My advice to all my members is to run a scan.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

If pages are loading slowly only in Google Chrome, then try the following suggestions. Click each link to see more details.

Open pages in an incognito window.

If pages open normally in an incognito window , this may indicate an issue with any extensions you may have installed or with your browsing data, both of which are temporarily disabled when you are incognito. Try the following solutions:

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

On Chrome only:

Remove malware from your computer or browser

1. If youre using Chrome or Firefox , use the browser reset feature to remove unwanted programs from your browser.
  2. If youre using another browser, use antivirus software to detect and remove malware from your computer. Visit the Google Safety Center for suggestions on software that may remove malware.
  3. Check your computer for programs you do not recognize, and uninstall them. These programs may have names like "Browser Protect" or "Wysys Control."
  4. If the steps above didnt fix the issue, create a post in the Google Search Forum about your issue. In your post, mention what troubleshooting steps youve already done.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

In the meanwhile, I will be removing both the photo module and the video from the front page and we will see if that fixes anything.

Swamijim sez
Freshman Silent
link   Swamijim sez    10 years ago

My advice would be to save any articles that you have posted here on your computer, incase I can't find a way to move our material.

Chill out PH--- worst case scenario is we lose the deathless prose posted on NT? OMG!!! Comes under the heading of 'blessing in disguise', IMO. I haven't noted the reincarnation of Shakespeare or Proust popping up in any of the comments thus far... If/when you do find another venue, how about losing everything in Heated Discussions during the transfer-- just sayin'.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    10 years ago

Put a bandaid over the little camera lens on your computer until you want to use it. I'm serious.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

4058_discussions.jpg?width=300 If my camera is on and I don't know it, I'm going to kill it. REALLY. I'm usually in my nightgown with my hair down, and the computer on my lap. NOT the best view... I would resemble Toad of Toad Hall. At best. Or Jabba the Hut.

If ANY of you have seen this, I want to apologize and will immediately commit Hari Kari.

OH MY GOSH. I don't know how to turn the dang thing on! 43.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Ok, this is going to sound silly, but it is a thought.

I have boocoos of trouble at work, but it is an old computer, at least 6-8 years old. I have absolutely NO trouble with my new computer. Could it be that Ning has changed some coding so that the older model computers are having problems?

Please don't stone me with your bic pens...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I am running a new computer and I am having only occasional problems. I think that some of the problems might be coming from computers not being updated. Still, it doesn't explain why only on this site.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

If/when you do find another venue, how about losing everything in Heated Discussions during the transfer-- just sayin'.

LOL, don't think that hasn't cross my mind.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

It might be a good idea... Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Unfortunately I have an update or two, seemingly every day...

It was just a thought!

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates

That is my feeling as well. I run on a new computer at work , and while I have the occasional issue here, it's nothing compared to the problems I have at home on my 8 year old computer. I've got a "geek" coming over to look at the computer and network in a couple of weeks and hope that they can resolve some of these issues.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

BF, tell me the truth, have I been doing this and don't know it?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

?width=721I believe in order for the camera to be "ON," an application that controls the camera must be launched and, when on, there should be some light or other indicator -- this is for a MacBook Pro.

Click the screen shot in my comment for a better view.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Thanks, dear A. Mac. I've never used the camera, nor have even seen the light on, but will putting something over it immediately. I think I'm safe... At least so far.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Thanks for your timely research!!! I don't download something unless I think it is safe, and never go to a site that is unfamiliar, or strange. Too many scams running around.

Thank you, Mike!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

There is something else that I've noticed lately. THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT, I just thought it might help solve the puzzle.

When at work, and I click front page, to go back to the front page, it goes. When at home, when I click front page, it has a little drop-down menu, and I have to click front page again, to get back to the front page.

I don't know what this is about...

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I think it is IE at work... Plus their blocking of sites. Grin.gif

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates

Yeah probably, though I supposedly have good malware protection on my home PC.