╌>

Khloé Kardashian Becomes Latest Celeb Slammed for Wearing Native American Headdress

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  11 comments

Khloé Kardashian Becomes Latest Celeb Slammed for Wearing Native American Headdress

Khlo Kardashian Becomes Latest Celeb Slammed for Wearing Native American Headdress

In true Kardashian family style not even North West's first birthday party could pass without controversy but this time, the tot's parents aren't feeling the backlash. Kim and Kanye West celebrated their daughter's milestone over the weekend with a "Kidchella"-themed bash that included a Ferris wheel, a bounce house, and a smattering of teepees. And that's where all the trouble began for Khlo Kardashian.

The 29-year-old aunt posed in front of one of the teepees, sitting cross-legged and sporting a Native American headdress replete with feathers.

"Ray of clouds. Chirping of birds. Gurgling of water. Granting desire. One with water. #Kidchella my first Coachella!!!" she captioned the colorful snap.

ThoughKhlo looks rather peaceful (and almost meditative) in the shot, the moment she posted it on Instagram, angry comments began rolling in.

"Our culture isn't a fashion statement, I do not wish to waste my time arguing with people too ignorant to understand that. You should be ashamed @khloekardashian," commenter ncholewa11 lamented.

"Headdresses and teepees should not be used as party decorations in the first place!" Instagram user Amanda Baldwin argued. "Those of us who disagree with this photo are tired of seeing headdresses, signs of honor and respect in our history and culture, being used as a 'fashion' accessory!"

Commentor luv_latisia noted not only Khloe's headdress, but also her pose. "She is COMPLETELY disrespecting our culture by sitting there in a meditation pose... What Native American tribe is known to meditate? And since when did honoring become imitating?"

ButKhlo is hardly the first famous face to get blasted for wearing Native American garb in fact, she's in good company.

Back in 2012, No Doubt caused controversy when the band's music video for "Looking Hot" featured a cowboys-and-Indians theme. Then in 2013, Michelle Williams posed for AnOther magazine dressed as a Native American with dark, long braids, which also sparked a fair share of drama . And just a few weeks ago, Pharrell Williams incited serious backlash (and the hashtag #NOTHappy) when he traded his signature Mountie hat for a Native American headdress on the July cover of Elle U.K. (We think we see a pattern here...)

Though apologies were issued in all three of those cases,Khlo doesn't seem like she's going to follow suit. Rather than express any regrets, the reality star followed up her photo with a message for her haters: "You're still going to get criticized, so you might as well do whatever the f--k you want."

There was no immediate comment from the National Congress of American Indians, which tends to weigh in on such matters of culture appropriation, but something tells us plenty of others will continue to do the commenting for them.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

Money givesone the right to disrespect everything and everyone I guess. I'm so sick of the Kardashians.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    10 years ago

Fake boobs, stuffed butts, botox'd lips and cheeks - what *itches.

Nona62
Professor Silent

I'm sooo sick of reading about Kim's wedding! Everything about them is fake.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    10 years ago

I avoid them like the plague. I NEVER ever turn on their show, won't even buy a magazine if they are on the cover. Keeps my life much more peaceful and good... Grin.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol...Good for you ! More people should take that stand, and maybe they would disappear.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    10 years ago

They will never disappear, they're trash.

Nona62
Professor Silent

they're trash. That's for sure!

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    10 years ago

I wouldn't recognize them if I saw them. Grin.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

IMO...Kim is the only good looking one in the entire bunch. Other than that, you aren't missing much.

jennilee
Freshman Silent
link   jennilee    10 years ago
thats what i like about using an antenna to pick up local channels, and netflix for other tv entertainment. i can pick and choose what i want to watch, and those so called reality shows that are only a way to make the public feel like they are involved with these people are at the bottom of my list

Nona62
Professor Silent

Not only are they on TV,. they are on the news too often, especially with Kim's wedding!! ACK!!