╌>

Utah high school 'learned lessons' after altering yearbook photos of girls

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  6 comments

• YearBook1.jpg

May 29: Wasatch High School sophomore Shelby Baum, 16, points to her tattoo. A group of Utah high school students, including Baum, said they were shocked and upset to discover their school yearbookarrow-10x10.png photos were digitally altered. AP

• yearbooook44.jpg

May 29: Wasatch High School sophomore Kimberly Montoya, 16, points to her altered school yearbook photo, in Heber City, in Utah. AP

• Yearbook23.jpg

May 29: Wasatch High School sophomore Shelby Baum, 16, points to yearbook proof and her altered school yearbook photo. AP

• yearboook.jpg

May 29: Wasatch High School sophomore Shelby Baum, 16, points to yearbook proof, left, and her altered school yearbook photo. AP

Officials at a local high school have "learned some lessons" after drawing national attention for digitally altering several female students' yearbook photosarrow-10x10.png to heighten necklines, cover shoulders and erase tattoos.

Wasatch High School principalarrow-10x10.png Shawn Kelly stopped short of saying the school had erred, but told Fox News things may change in the future.

Weve learned some lessons as to how to handle this better, Kelly said.

Sophomore Haylee Nielsens low-cut pink blouse was edited to include a black tanktop, Kimberly Montoyas got Photo-shopped sleeves to cover her shoulders and a tattoo on Shelby Baums collarbone was digitally erased.

Wasatch High students and graduates say the practice has been going on for years. Montoya said she was shocked and upset when she first saw her photo in the yearbook. I was never notified my blouse was inappropriate and was never informed that it was going to be changed.

According to Nielsen, many girls were humiliated by the noticeably altered photos they found of themselves in the yearbook. They could have had us change or do re-takes, she said. It looks ridiculous.

Baum was particularly saddened to see that not only had her neckline been raised, but the tattoo she shares with her sister and mother, which reads I am enough, had been digitally removed.

Every time I look in the mirror or look at a picture of me that shows a little bit of my tattoo, it reminds me that I am enough the way I am, Baum said. For them to cover it up in the yearbook without telling us or sending us an or anything -- I dont believe that thats okay.

Baum said she was particularly surprised because she had previously worn the same blouse she wore on photo day to school on multiple occasions without being reprimanded. She hopes the school will consider issuing new containing the original, unaltered photos.

Parents were not happy with the changes, either. Tricia Burgener, Nielsens mother, said she was upset because she sees her daughter leave for school each morning and feels she dresses appropriately every day, including on photo day. One of the students parents has reportedly already begun to seek legal action by an attorney.

Following an onslaught of national media coverage, Wasatch County School District released a statement that was emailed to all parents and posted on the schools .

The statement said students were informed by way of a sign near the studio that if they did not comply with the schools dress codearrow-10x10.png , their photos could be subject to editing.

It is understandable that students in violation of the dress code could forget that they received warnings about inappropriate dress, the statement read. However, there is no question that all students were advised that photos may be edited if the students dress did not follow the dress code.

Yet none of the girls remember seeing any such sign or recall being warned that their photo could be changed. In fact, after the photos were taken, students were given the opportunity to examine their photos before they were submitted to the yearbook. Nielsen and Montoya approved their photos, which were unaltered at the time. This only added to the surprise when they received their yearbooks months later.

When I saw my in the commons it had not been changed or edited at all, Montoya said. They said that that was to be in the yearbook.

The alterations made to the yearbook photosarrow-10x10.png were not consistent from student to student; shoulder coverings were added to one female students sleeveless denim vest, while another student wearing an almost identical vest was left untouched. Nielsen said she felt her personal group of friends had been specifically singled out.

Its like they targeted certain social groups, Nielsen said of the yearbook committee. Theyre picking and choosing certain people--whoever they want.

The statement addressed and apologized for the variance in editing. The high school yearbookarrow-10x10.png staff did make some errors and were not consistent in how they were applied to student photos, the statement read. The school apologizes for that inconsistency.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

You just never know how a tattoo will turn out. sigh...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    10 years ago

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but to me a tattoo is like a ring through your nose.

Nona62
Professor Silent

I have tattoo of a butterfly on my ankle, but I would NEVER get my nose pierced. (I'm too old )lol

Swamijim sez
Freshman Silent
link   Swamijim sez    10 years ago

Weve learned some lessons..., Kelly said.

Apart from mush-mouth halfass non-apologies, what did they learn?

Nona62
Professor Silent

That's the smart way to do it...by recommendation ! Otherwise it's there for the rest of yourlife. (unless of course you want to go through painful laser to get it removed)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    10 years ago

"I am enough the way I am?"

So, then why does she need a tattoo?

I guess some people are so lacking in confidence they need a constant reminder. However, jwc, I absolutely agree with you.