╌>

Hawaii man gets probation for making son walk 1 mile home from school

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  20 comments

A judge sentenced a Hawaii man to one year of probation and a $200 fine for his son walk a mile home from schoolarrow-10x10.png as a form of discipline.

Judge Kathleen Watanabe called the punishment "old-school" and no longer appropriate, the Garden Island newspaper reported Thursday.

Robert Demond of Kilauea said he picked up his son from school and asked about a matter that had been brought to his attention. When the son didn't respond, Demond made him walk home to think about his actions.

The age of the boy is unclear. Demond's attorney and a prosecutor didn't immediately respond to a request seeking comment from The Associated Press.

Demond was also ordered to attend a after being convicted of the welfare of a minor, a misdemeanor. Demond pleaded no and said he would handle the situation differently now after the case went through two courts.

Demond told Watanabe in courtarrow-10x10.png on Wednesday that he didn't think the punishment was morally wrong or criminal. He said it was a common form of punishment when he was growing up.

Watanabe said times are different today, given child predators and traffic.

Demond's Margaret Hanson argued Demond had no and isn't a risk to the community.

Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Gary Nelson said the punishment was inappropriate but Demond did it to teacharrow-10x10.png his son a lesson, not out of anger.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

Seriously, is that such a horrible punishment?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    10 years ago

PC folks - PC. So much for trying to be a parent in today's Spockies.

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent
link   Larry Crehore    10 years ago

Until and unless a crime has been committed then the courts need to get out of our lives and the raising of our children. They are ill-equipped to raise a child.

jennilee
Freshman Silent
link   jennilee    10 years ago
Wow, my granddaughters in high school walk .9 Miles back and forth every day because in this town, anything 1 mile or less is considered walking distance.

Nona62
Professor Silent

BAD DADDY !! /s

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    10 years ago

Parenting to instill values is longer acceptable in our PC society.

Nona62
Professor Silent

As a young child, I honestly walked 1 mile to and from school. (except in bad weather) I don't see where the father di anything wrong at all.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Does she mind walking that far? If anything, it is doing a lot of good for her body.

Nona62
Professor Silent

The "Me" generation.

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol....My father used to say that...

jennilee
Freshman Silent
link   jennilee    10 years ago
They don't seem to mind, except when it is raining hard. Otherwise, living in town, they are used to walking where they want to go.

Nona62
Professor Silent

The only mention of the child's age is that he is a minor.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Good for them!! It's so good for their health. Smile.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     10 years ago

Back in the day, we walked 5 miles to school and 5 miles back. The only time that we didn't was when the temp reached 35 below zero, or if the wind was over 50 MPH. Then we rode a moose.

We were tough.

Nona62
Professor Silent

hmmm...and here O thought you walked 5 miles to school and 10 miles back..lol...

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    10 years ago

Oh, poop.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    10 years ago

Or more.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    10 years ago

I regularly walked about a mile, in all kinds of weather, carrying my books AND a French horn, about 1/3 of my weight at the time. What's wrong with these people? It wasn't punishment, it was normal.

According to my Daddy, he walked 5 miles to school, AFTER running his paper route from his bike, carrying a sack of coal, and it was uphill, both ways. Smile.gif

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    10 years ago

Judge Kathleen Watanabe called the punishment "old-school" and no longer appropriate

That sounds like ageism to me . How old was the father ?

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    10 years ago

I never had a moose to ride ... Grin.gif