╌>

Memories!

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  24 comments

Memories!
(sent to me from a friend..enjoy)
Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first.
Any kids will probably have to find some older person over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.
Remember 'Continental kits?' They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.

When did we quit calling them 'emergency brakes? At some point 'parking brake' became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with 'emergency brake.' I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the 'foot feed'or gas peddle. Many today do not even know what a clutch is or that the dimmer switch used to be on the floor. For that matter, the starter was down theretoo.

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you could ride the 'running board' up to the house?
Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore - 'store-bought.' Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days.
But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy.
'Coast to coast' is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing. Now we take the term 'worldwide' for granted. This floors me.

On a smaller scale, 'wall-to-wall' was once a magical term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting!
Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure.
When was the last time you heard the quaint phrase 'in a family way?' It's hard to imagine that the word 'pregnant' was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company, so we had all that talk about stork visits and 'being in a family way' or simply 'expecting.'
Apparently 'brassiere' is a word no longer in usage. I said it the other day and my daughter cracked up. I guess it's just 'bra' now. 'Unmentionables' probably wouldn't be understood at all.
I always loved going to the 'picture show,' but I considered 'movie' an affectation.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure '60s word I came across the other day 'rat fink.' Ooh, what a nasty put-down!
Here's, a word I miss - 'percolator' That was just a fun word to say. And what was it replaced with 'Coffee maker.' How dull... Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

I thought I share would share this with everyone. I hope you enjoy this!

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    10 years ago

"Those were the days my friends, those were the day's my friends. We'd sing and dance . . . . . . "

Nona62
Professor Silent

I'm too young to remember those things. (Tzia crosses fingers) Grin.gif

1stwarrior
Professor Participates

Don't you start fibbin' on a Friday night Tzia - it ain't right. Wait'll Sunday night then the gate comes wide open Grin.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol...I guess I busted myself out!! ooops...

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    10 years ago

That was wonderful!

We called "store boughten" and I still wear "foundation garments". And believe me, they are. a. foundation.

Grin.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

I'm glad you liked this Dowser! I had forgotten about a lot of those.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I've been buried in family history for the past few days-- at my mom's house, going through stuff. I'm still on one box of neat stuff, so this fit right along with Memories...

I found a business card with a poem on the back about bartenders. My Mama and Daddy's prom ticket. A circular about how to build a greenhouse, 1923... So yeah, this was a neat trip through memory lane! Grin.gif

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    10 years ago

This was a fine walk down memory lane . Thanks for posting it .
However , I think you'll find that "rat fink" is a lot older vintage than the 60's :

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

In Each Dawn I Die (also Keighley, 1939), Cagney teams with George Raft making his Warners debut. It's mostly a prison picture, with muckraking reporter Cagney behind bars after being framed by crooked politicos. Career felon Raft has little sympathy for him till Cagney proves to be a stand-up guy, whereupon the two bond in mutual loathing of sadistic guards, rat-fink convicts ...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    10 years ago

Being a teenager during the early 50s I remember almost of all of them.

Here are a couple of car things from cars that my father owned.

Did anyone else have a 1947 Chrysler where the speedometer's light was green while the car was going up to 30 mph, turned yellow when it was over 30 and up to 50 mph, and became red when the car exceeded 50 mph?

Did anyone have a car with a thing on the dashboard aiming out the front window that detected a car's headlights approaching towards you at night and automatically dimmed your bright lights until it passed you?

I always thought those were great ideas and never could understand why they weren't continued.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Ha....I learned something.I didn't know how Rat Fink began. Thanks!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

WOW...their Prom ticket! What a find Dowser!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

Don't remember those but, how things have changed...

1stwarrior
Professor Participates

Luv'd the headlight dimming thing. Dad's "first" Cadillac,a '57 that we bought when we came back from Japan. had it and we kids begged him to drive at night so we could watch it change. Oh, and the mirror changed also if someone came up behind you with brights on.

Yeah - what happened to that technology??

Nona62
Professor Silent

It improved????

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    10 years ago

Right, 1st. I forgot about the rear-view mirror that automatically flipped when there were bright lights following you. I can't think of any reason why all of that technology was scrapped either. Actually, the brights dimmer was on my father's '60 Caddy Coupe de Ville, which I never forgave him for buying instead of the gorgeous '59 Jaguar Mark IX he looked at first.

Tzia62. Those were safety items, and I can't think of any improvement that was better than they were or that did what they did at all. I could have just been a matter of cost, but then people pay for options so they should have been continued anyway.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     10 years ago

Fender skirts and duck tails.

Those were the days my friend.

Nona62
Professor Silent

We thought they'd never end......

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

My 1964 Buick Skylark had those, and the lights would go crazy, reflecting off of traffic signs. But, it was handy! Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Yes!!! They were king and queen of the prom! A very special memory! Grin.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

They were king and queen of the prom! Good for them! No wonder they saved the tickets!

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I will grant that the term "rat-fink" had a resurgence in the '60s ... Let me know if you want a link .

Nona62
Professor Silent

pfft....snort....ha ha ha ha !! 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif