MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)

Things you used to do as a kid...

By:  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  •  Personal  •  2 weeks ago  •  36 comments

Things you used to do as a kid...
Don't grow up... it's a trap

What are some of the things you loved to do when you were younger that you can't do now... or haven't done in a really long time?

Baseball. I always loved playing baseball [not softball] with other kids in the neighborhood. I'd have loved to play baseball in high school, but because there was a girls softball team, they wouldn't let me play baseball with the boys. They are different. The school kept saying, "They're the same thing..." They are NOT the same. Not like I couldn't play baseball with people I know now, but not too many people in their 40s and 50s are interested in playing baseball for fun.

Dance lessons. I took dance lessons from age 3 to 14. I mainly did tap dance and "jazz" but sadly my knees had other plans. I bought myself some tap shoes a couple years ago, thinking that it might be a fun way to lose a few lbs.; however, the classes are pretty expensive and the expectation is that anyone in a class is in a recital. Well, I don't want to participate in a recital; I did that for 11 years. I don't want to dress in special or fancy leotards and prance around on stage. I'm not J. Lo. I'd still love to do it for fun.

Roller skating. The last time I went roller skating, it was for my 38th birthday and I made it a point that my kids and I just went because it was what I wanted to do. Somehow I've always been better at roller skating or ice skating than I am at walking on a flat surface. My husband found that out on my daughter's 8th birthday when she had a roller skating party. Sadly, there's only one roller skating rink anywhere near me now and I need new wheels for my Sketchers roller skates.

Climbing trees. I'm too heavy and getting too old to do it anymore. I simply don't have the strength to pull my fat ass up onto a tree branch anymore. As a kid, I climbed this huge oak tree in the field behind my house almost daily. I wanted to feel "big" and I've never been very big or tall... I'm 4'11" and stopped growing at the age of 14. I used to climb everything.

Swimming. Not that I can't swim now. I'm actually a very good swimmer [and I float rather well too... fat floats and my ass has enough of it. It's okay, you can laugh too.]. However, right now, there's no swimming pools open, lakes are far too cold already, and I can't afford a gym membership [besides, I don't think swimming pools are open at gyms right now]. I just don't get the opportunity to swim / play in the water like I would like to anymore.

What about you?

**NO POLITICS**

1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    2 weeks ago

What's some of the stuff you love(d) to do?

devangelical
2  devangelical    2 weeks ago

harmless mischief at night that involved get off my lawn seniors and goober cops with authoritarian complexes.

2.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  devangelical @2    2 weeks ago

Are you now one of the "get off my lawn seniors"? jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
2.1.1  devangelical  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @2.1    2 weeks ago

hell no. I don't want a burning bag of dog shit or busted halloween pumpkins on my front porch, or the air let out of my car tires, or my mailbox filled with my own past due garden tomatoes, apples, crab apples, or my outdoor xmas light bulbs.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
2.1.2  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  devangelical @2.1.1    2 weeks ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
2.1.3  devangelical  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @2.1.2    2 weeks ago

I excluded the fun with bar soap and spray paint. it sucked to be an old fart living next to the vacant lot. I bet that old turd has been dead for 50 years now. he paid a heavy price to be a POS.

3  Kavika     2 weeks ago

I loved to fish and harvest manoomin (wild rice)

Ed-NavDoc
4  Ed-NavDoc    2 weeks ago

Growing up in the Sonoran Desert, this will sound a tad strange but me and my buds went snake catching...

4.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4    2 weeks ago

OMG! I would LOVE that!!! Granted, I live in MI where the only poisonous snake is the Mississauga Rattler and those won't kill ya, but living next to a quarry and in front of a huge field that only had train tracks and a steel mill beyond that, every time my mother or father would mow the lawn, all the rat snakes and ribbon snakes and garter snakes would come into the yard where I would gather them up and scare the neighbors with them!

5  Trout Giggles    2 weeks ago

I used to like playing baseball with the neighborhood kids. I was always the pitcher for my side because nobody else could get it across the plate. They started a softball team in school the year after I graduated (pouty face).

Sledding....I live in an area that sees little snow. Actually, I haven't sledded down a hill since I ran into that barbed wire fence.

I liked climbing trees, too, couldn't keep me out of them. Even fell out of one once

Gsquared
6  Gsquared    2 weeks ago

Spending so much time in the sun during summer vacation my skin would turn purple.

6.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Gsquared @6    2 weeks ago

Purple? I used to get really DARK, but not purple.

Gsquared
6.1.1  Gsquared  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @6.1    2 weeks ago

Joke.  I would get really DARK, too.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
6.1.2  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Gsquared @6.1.1    2 weeks ago

I figured. ;)

Gsquared
6.1.3  Gsquared  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @6.1.2    2 weeks ago

As an adult, but before I got married, when I used to regularly go body surfing for 2 weeks in Kauai, I would come back very dark and about 20 pounds lighter.   Somehow, I seemed to look a lot different to the secretaries around the office...

Kathleen
6.2  Kathleen  replied to  Gsquared @6    2 weeks ago

I would burn! Being fair and a blonde I had to be careful.

Gsquared
6.2.1  Gsquared  replied to  Kathleen @6.2    2 weeks ago

I burned, then peeled a bit, then got very, very dark.  That was when I was young.  These days, so many years later, I prefer to sit in the shade, of course.

6.2.2  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Kathleen @6.2    2 weeks ago

The only time I burned was when I was snorkeling in St. Croix on my honeymoon. I never bother with sunscreen in MI, but I knew I needed it in St. Croix... closer to the equator by a lot. I was wearing [and frequently reapplied 40SPF, but I FRIED my back half. My husband took a photo [and no I cannot show it] of my back end after I removed my bikini... it looked like I was still wearing that swimsuit except for my ass crack being visible. Everywhere else was lobster red. I learned my lesson and I'm REALLY glad I packed my aloe. The next morning, I was okay, but made sure to wear white board shorts and a white t-shirt over my bikini top, especially while snorkeling.

I just usually get really dark; even out on the lake.

Gsquared
6.2.3  Gsquared  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @6.2.2    2 weeks ago

There is a beach on Kauai called Secret Beach, known as Kauapea Beach to the Hawaiians, that unofficially was clothes optional.  I went snorkeling there one time (no sunscreen) and burned my okole BAD.  I peeled for days in places I had never peeled before.  (Okole-Hawaiian for gluteus maximus region)

Texan1211
7  Texan1211    2 weeks ago

Waterskiing with my friends at Mountain Creek Lake.

We used to rent a boat at Dallas Naval Air Station---$5  an hour, so we'd all pitch in a few bucks and ski all day long.

Had to stop when we ran over the ski rope! Didn't go back for several months!

LOL!

7.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Texan1211 @7    2 weeks ago

I tried waterskiing once. I did NOT do well at it.

Texan1211
7.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @7.1    2 weeks ago

I got fairly decent at it, but haven't been in some 30 years.

Probably couldn't even do it at all now!

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
7.1.2  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.1    2 weeks ago

I did well on a jet ski / ski-do, but regular waterskiing not so much.

MUVA
7.1.3  MUVA  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @7.1.2    2 weeks ago

Pre back surgery I wake boarded a lot in the summer I have been knocked unconscious at least 3 time trying to learn a hoochie  glide

Sunshine
8  Sunshine    2 weeks ago

I miss visiting my Grandparent's home as a kid.  It was a small town so my brother and I where free to roam all day.  We could play in the creek or walk into town to shop at the Piggly Wiggly and get a snow cone on the way back.  Sometimes we would play in the cornfields despite being told not to.  Sounds simple but it was the best times.

I loved my Grandma's chicken and dumplings from scratch.

I really miss those days.

Tacos!
9  Tacos!    2 weeks ago

I used to go trout fishing a lot in the mountains. I miss that.

Kathleen
10  Kathleen    2 weeks ago

Playing with barbies. I loved dressing them and making a house for them. I still collect the 1950’s, 60’s and 70’s barbies.  I liked to color and when I was a little older I learned how to crochet.  I also loved being with my family.  My sister and I would stay with my grandmother for a few weeks during summer vacation and I looked forward to it.

10.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Kathleen @10    2 weeks ago

I still color and play with barbies. jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Kathleen
10.1.1  Kathleen  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @10.1    2 weeks ago

Me too! jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

JaneDoe
10.2  JaneDoe  replied to  Kathleen @10    2 weeks ago

I still color too. It’s very relaxing. I don’t play with Barbie’s anymore. My husband wouldn’t let me buy the one I wanted 😂

10.2.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  JaneDoe @10.2    2 weeks ago

See... it pays to be the primary "bread winner". jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

11  Buzz of the Orient    2 weeks ago

Getting into mischief, like carving my initials in our neighbour's freshly paved sidewalk; or accidentally lighting fire to a whole field that was surrounded by people's garages (and ran like hell when the firetrucks came); running away from home; once when mad at my dad, putting sand in his car's gas tank (couldn't sit for days after that one); letting the air out of people's cars tires on the night before Hallowe'en.  But the best, maybe when I was 6 or 7, was after being taken by my mother to see Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, I took a hammer and dug the little coloured glass pieces out of the neighbour's stucco wall leaving bare wood patches.  How come can't I remember the GOOD things that I did?

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
11.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11    2 weeks ago
putting sand in his car's gas tank (couldn't sit for days after that one)

OMG! I bet! You were a stinker!

JaneDoe
12  JaneDoe    2 weeks ago

We were gone from early morning till the street lights came on. Playing pick up sports, fishing, building ramps for our bikes, building cabins to hang out in, walking to the penny candy store. What ever neighborhood house you were at is where you ate. It was a close group and I am still in touch with a few of those folks.

Dragon
13  Dragon    2 weeks ago

Grew up in rural Northern California close to the ocean. Miss ocean walks especially at sunrise/sunset with our dogs. Miss walking or riding my bike all over the apple orchards and narrow backroads without a worry. Miss camping trips (all my parents could afford), all 6 of us sleeping inside an old army tent. As we got older we could sleep outside the tent, early morning cold water washings, always present smell of campfire in our hair and clothes, fishing for dinner.

I still take ocean walks whenever I am close to the ocean, no dogs though. Still camp, but in a trailer, too old to be sleeping on the ground or cot, and I need a bathroom at night! Still do a lot of fishing, mostly catch & release, but occasionally if close enough to home or camp will cook one for breakfast or dinner.

13.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Dragon @13    2 weeks ago
early morning cold water washings

I did the lake "bath" myself. My kids have no idea about those.