Sayings, hyperbole, and expressions

By:  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  •  Personal  •  2 weeks ago  •  41 comments

Sayings, hyperbole, and expressions
Behind every angry woman is a man with no idea what’s going on.

There are sayings / phrases, hyperbole, and expressions that often make me scratch my head.

One example is when someone says that so and so has no balls or "grow a pair" when someone is either afraid of doing something or somehow indicates that the person is otherwise "acting in a girlish manner." Along the same lines, calling someone a pussy, indicating similar as the aforementioned. Now, let's break it down... balls are rather sensitive and simply getting grazed causes immense pain [for most... some are into that sort of thing]; vaginas [or "pussies" if you will] on the other hand take a hell of a beating through intercourse and of course, the potential result of said intercourse, giving birth and squeezing a baby out of it. So, why would someone think that a pussy is somehow inferior to testicles?

As happy as a clam is a relatively common saying; how do we know that clams are in fact happy? Happy as a pig in shit... pigs don't care what they're rolling in really... I think that happy as a pig in mud would be just as appropriate. Why wouldn't we say, as happy as an elephant in mud? Elephants cool themselves off in mud and it makes them appear happy.

As good as gold... there are other things far superior to gold in many standards. Was that the metal that was most precious when that phrase came about?

Boys will be boys. That one irritates me because not all are the same and the implications in that phrase give way to bad, negative, or poor behavior. It's allowing an excuse for being a lot of things and I can only think of negative things.

Easy as pie... not all pies are that easy to make; especially from scratch.

So, what are some sayings, phrases, hyperbole, and expressions that don't make much sense to you? This is all in fun.

**NO POLITICS**

1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    2 weeks ago

**NO POLITICS**

2  Ender    2 weeks ago

Down here people say fixing. Like, I am fixing to go to the store...

2.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Ender @2    2 weeks ago

That's a good one.

2.1.1  Ender  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @2.1    2 weeks ago

One my Aunt had that we use to laugh about...Hack around.

She would say, I am wearing my hack around clothes...

2.1.2  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Ender @2.1.1    2 weeks ago

There's certainly unique phrases that come out from different parts of the country, aren't there?

In the upper Midwest, we call Coca Cola (for example) pop; in other parts of the country, it's soda. And there was one time in Tennessee that my mom and I asked for a Coke and the lady said, "What kind"? We didn't understand the question. She then said, "We have Sprite, cola, diet, and root beer." To her, they were all "Coke".

2.1.3  Ender  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @2.1.2    2 weeks ago

It is coke here. I have gone through a drive through and when asked what kind of drink I would say coke. Many times they would say, we only have Pepsi...Haha

2.1.4  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Ender @2.1.3    2 weeks ago

Yeah, it's Coke or Pepsi here too, but those are two different types of pop here too. jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Dulay
3  Dulay    2 weeks ago
So, why would someone think that a pussy is somehow inferior to testicles?

Because in a patriarchal society, all things female are viewed as inferior.

Note that most pejoratives are based on either 'female' characteristics supposed 'female' acts.

3.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Dulay @3    2 weeks ago

I get that, but in reality a vagina is far tougher than testicles. jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

Dulay
3.1.1  Dulay  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @3.1    2 weeks ago

Yes and every grown man should know that but alas...

Nerm_L
4  Nerm_L    2 weeks ago

Well, it's like water off a duck's back.  Just don't pee down my back.

Dismayed Patriot
4.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Nerm_L @4    2 weeks ago

Dismayed Patriot
5  Dismayed Patriot    2 weeks ago

Silence is often misinterpreted, but never misquoted.

Dismayed Patriot
6  Dismayed Patriot    2 weeks ago

Plan your life like you'll live forever, but live your life like you will die the next day.

Dismayed Patriot
7  Dismayed Patriot    2 weeks ago

Even a fish could avoid trouble if it just kept its mouth shut...

Dismayed Patriot
8  Dismayed Patriot    2 weeks ago

Curiosity is the beginning of knowledge, wonder is the beginning of wisdom.

Drakkonis
9  Drakkonis    2 weeks ago

I wouldn't do that if I were you.

That never made sense to me. If the other guy is going to do it, then if you are him, you'd do it. It should be, you wouldn't do that if you were me.

9.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Drakkonis @9    2 weeks ago

That's an excellent one!

Dismayed Patriot
10  Dismayed Patriot    2 weeks ago

He who lives in glass house should always wear pants...

igknorantzrulz
10.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @10    2 weeks ago
should always wear pants...

i can't see Y, oh wait, there it is , right after X  girlfriends wear them

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
10.2  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @10    2 weeks ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Dismayed Patriot
10.2.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @10.2    2 weeks ago

A man walks into a psychologists office wearing nothing but saran wrap and asks the doctor if there is something wrong with him.

The doctor replies, "Well, clearly I can see your nuts...".

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
10.2.2  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @10.2.1    2 weeks ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Drakkonis
10.3  Drakkonis  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @10    2 weeks ago

Took me a while to get it.

igknorantzrulz
11  igknorantzrulz    2 weeks ago

i couldn't care less, about how people, say they could, cause if you Could care less, the greater value goes to the concern you are addressing, or undressing, with eyes buggin out of some elders cranium, where they look like they need to swallow a cricket, and put a sock on it, then place one on Jim, a knee, cause Jim a knees N joy's crickets sprinkled with Jimmies favorite topping, Jimmies, as Jimmy is one to sprinkle pepper spray while he is a salt ted, but he tries to get out of the way, of his phone, when it is charging, in his Dodge Ramming Jimmy with the Horn he hears whence impaled by a bunch of Bull Horns, that now adorn Jimmy and his indecision unabull to so if he decides to  then flick a Bic, that has no match, to set a foot . on the moon, not a Saturn ring to wrestle his' conscience away from Matts' wiped before and during the wrestling match ring shaped like a box, that rings a bell, curved to pass the grade, where

i failed

pat wilson
12  pat wilson    2 weeks ago

"If wishes were horses beggars would ride"

My Grandmother

Gsquared
13  Gsquared    2 weeks ago

I think that I think, therefore, I think that I am.

Playing on Descartes' I think, therefore, I am.

igknorantzrulz
13.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Gsquared @13    2 weeks ago

what the hell were ya thinking...?

14  Perrie Halpern R.A.    2 weeks ago

Go play in traffic.

igknorantzrulz
14.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @14    2 weeks ago
Go play in traffic.

nah, too busy

Kathleen
14.2  Kathleen  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @14    2 weeks ago

That’s mean.. lol

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
14.3  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @14    2 weeks ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Kathleen
15  Kathleen    2 weeks ago

Raining cats and dogs.

I always thought that was silly.

15.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Kathleen @15    2 weeks ago

That is an odd one. Kinda goes along with, "Fighting like cats and dogs."

Vic Eldred
16  Vic Eldred    2 weeks ago

I like "irregardless"

16.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Vic Eldred @16    2 weeks ago

jrSmiley_103_smiley_image.jpg That's as bad as "I could care less."

igknorantzrulz
16.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @16.1    2 weeks ago

well , i could care less , irregardless of what vic has to exclaim,

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
16.1.2  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  igknorantzrulz @16.1.1    2 weeks ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif Like nails on a chalkboard.

igknorantzrulz
16.1.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @16.1.2    2 weeks ago

music to my ears

Vic Eldred
16.1.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  igknorantzrulz @16.1.1    2 weeks ago

As they say in Brooklyn, "Ya, right!"

MUVA
17  MUVA    2 weeks ago

my favorite comes for English football (he kicked ten bells out him)means the person was tackled hard or fouled a lot.