It's Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Via:  Trout Giggles  •  3 months ago  •  77 comments

It's Talk Like a Pirate Day!
nternational Talk Like a Pirate Day (ITLAPD, September 19) is a parodic holiday created in 1995 by John Baur (Ol' Chumbucket) and Mark Summers (Cap'n Slappy), of Albany, Oregon,[1] U.S., who proclaimed September 19 each year as the day when everyone in the world should talk like a pirate.[2] An observer of this holiday would greet friends not with "Hello, everyone!" but with "Ahoy, maties!" or "Ahoy, me hearties!". The holiday, and its observance, springs from a romanticized view of the...

To comment, please join the group SiNNERs and ButtHeads

SiNNERs and ButtHeads

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

According to Summers, the day is the only known holiday to come into being as a result of a sports injury. During a racquetball game between Summers and Baur, one of them reacted to the pain with an outburst of "Aaarrr!", and the idea was born. That game took place on June 6, 1995, but out of respect for the observance of the Normandy landings, they chose Summers' ex-wife's birthday, as it would be easy for him to remember.[1][3]

At first an inside joke between two friends, the holiday gained exposure when Baur and Summers sent a letter about their invented holiday to the American syndicated humor columnist Dave Barry in 2002.[4] Barry liked the idea and promoted the day,[4] and later appeared in a cameo in their "Drunken Sailor" Sing Along A-Go-Go video.[5] Growing media coverage of the holiday after Barry's column has ensured that this event is now celebrated internationally, and Baur and Summers now sell books and T-shirts related to the theme on their website. Part of the success for the international spread of the holiday has been attributed to non-restriction of the idea or non-trademarking, in effect opening the holiday to creativity and "viral" growth.[6]

The association of pirates with peglegs, parrots, and treasure maps, popularized in Robert Louis Stevenson's novel Treasure Island (1883), has had a significant influence on parody pirate culture.[7] Talk Like a Pirate Day is celebrated with hidden easter egg features in many games and websites,[8] with Facebook introducing a pirate-translated version of its website on Talk Like a Pirate Day 2008[9] and publisher O'Reilly discounting books on the R programming language to celebrate.[10] In September 2014, Reddit added a pirate theme to their website.[11]

link

1  seeder  Trout Giggles    3 months ago

The inaugural seed of the New and Improved SiNNERs and ButtHeads group.

That image I selected for the Group is my ankle which caused more than a few "Arrrrggghhhssss" and few other words.....

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 months ago

Count me in, Matie!  Bring me that horizon.

devangelical
3  devangelical    3 months ago

cool hanging out with several that shiver my timber

4  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη    3 months ago

Urban Dictionary "Angry Pirate"  You've been warned.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
4.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @4    3 months ago

4.1.1  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.1    3 months ago

Priceless!

badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη
4.1.2  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.1    3 months ago

I've always been a collector of fine Pirate Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrght

4.1.3  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @4.1.2    3 months ago

Awesome!

badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη
4.1.4  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.3    3 months ago

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
4.1.5  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @4.1.2    3 months ago

Too Hilarious!!

4.1.6  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @4.1.4    3 months ago

It's a saucy wench!

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
4.1.7  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @4.1.4    3 months ago

Hold up, Matie.  I get a beard and Perrie gets the Victoria's Secret body?  AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη
4.1.9  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.1.7    3 months ago

Kinda hard to put your avatar on a vixen with the cigar and all Sister.......

4.1.10  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @4.1.9    3 months ago

But you didn't even try

badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη
4.1.11  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.10    3 months ago

Do overrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh

4.1.13  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @4.1.11    3 months ago

That's better

badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη
4.1.14  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.13    3 months ago

Nothing like a day at the beach with Sister!

badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη
4.1.15  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.13    3 months ago

Tomorrow if you can get Cobalt to comment on this article, I'll be more than glad to put her pirate pic up.....

4.1.16  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @4.1.15    3 months ago

I would love to see that

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
4.1.17  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @4.1.11    3 months ago

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!  The accuracy is uncanny.

badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη
4.1.18  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.1.17    3 months ago

Some of our single members are going to be planking to that image later.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
4.1.19  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @4.1.14    3 months ago

At the risk of inflating your ego to new heights, you make a fabulous-looking pirate.

badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη
4.1.20  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.1.19    3 months ago

Only as good as my lovely company Sister!

4.1.21  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @4.1.4    3 months ago

Arrrrr... Matt wishes...

LOLOLOLOLOL

badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη
4.1.22  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.21    3 months ago

If he's anything like me he saw that ankle in the group avatar and had to spend some alone time with it.

4.1.23  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @4.1.22    3 months ago

Oh I'm sure he did! Some of his best moments are spent alone and that pic is just a tad too hot.

badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη
4.1.24  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.23    3 months ago

I just had an epiphany, i am at work and I am photo-shopping ankles on female pirate bodies.

I need help....

How do I explain that to my boss?
or wife,
"How was work?"
"Busy...real busy!" replied the fish....

4.1.25  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @4.1.22    3 months ago

He's hot for ankles anyway, but that one would just make him go arrrrrr.. I have to get me one of those.

4.1.26  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @4.1.24    3 months ago
I need help....

I think we've all known this for a while.

And from past experiences .... busy works! LOL.

But I would see help, but fear not! You are not alone!

Fetishes evolve with the times, studies suggest. Historical anthropologists have found Victorian men had a thing for bare ankles or knees—probably because women were supposed to keep them covered, the researchers speculate.

4.1.27  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @4.1.22    3 months ago

Oh my giddy aunt! That face looks like something a shark took a bite out of and threw it back up

badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη
4.1.28  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.27    3 months ago

Way to crush my dreams.....

4.1.29  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @4.1.28    3 months ago

It was a good effort.

cobaltblue
4.2  cobaltblue  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @4    3 months ago
Urban Dictionary "Angry Pirate"

Definition 2 is total bullshit. If you shot one in her eye, she wouldn't just be shutting her eye. She'd be writhing on the floor with such pain that a kick in the shin would feel like relief. Trust me on that one. Never ever get it in your eye. Never.

4.2.1  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  cobaltblue @4.2    3 months ago

Sounds like you need goggles and shin guards.

Split Personality
5  Split Personality    3 months ago

Aaaarrrggggghhhhh!!!!!

A. Macarthur
5.1  A. Macarthur  replied to  Split Personality @5    2 months ago
Aaaarrrggggghhhhh!!!!!

No Aaaarrrggggghhhhhuments from me.

6  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη    3 months ago

The pirate got his ears pierced for a buccaneer

A. Macarthur
6.1  A. Macarthur  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @6    2 months ago
The pirate got his ears pierced for a buccaneer
And 15 men had the hair shaved off of their chests …
… busy day.

7  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη    3 months ago

After I lost my first hand I got hooked.

Split Personality
9  Split Personality    3 months ago
"Ahoy, me hearties!".

I have been called heartless a few times, lol

cobaltblue
9.1  cobaltblue  replied to  Split Personality @9    3 months ago
I have been called heartless a few times

53 times, I think.

9.1.1  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  cobaltblue @9.1    2 months ago

Sqwack! Polly wanna pecker?

MrFrost
10  MrFrost    3 months ago

So a pirate walks into a bar and the bartender says.. "Hey, pirate, why do you have the ships wheel stuffed in your pants!?"

The pirate replies, "I don't know but it's drivin' me nuts!"

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
10.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  MrFrost @10    3 months ago

Effervescent snort!

MrFrost
10.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @10.1    2 months ago
Effervescent snort!

My wife does that too, i'll let her know she is in good company. :)

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
11  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 months ago

61e11b66c32a3025a21c12d41ee77097.jpg

cobaltblue
11.1  cobaltblue  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @11    3 months ago
RUM??????

Drinking rum at 9:00 a.m. makes you a pirate, not an alcoholic!

11.1.1  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  cobaltblue @11.1    3 months ago

Do i have your permission to post the pirate Cobaltblue?

cobaltblue
11.1.2  cobaltblue  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @11.1.1    3 months ago
have your permission to post the pirate Cobaltblue

Of course. But only if you remember that when I curse you out for it, I'm calling you "pirate ship" not "pile of shit."

badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη
11.1.3  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  cobaltblue @11.1.2    3 months ago

11.1.4  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @11.1.3    3 months ago

Good job!

cobaltblue
11.1.5  cobaltblue  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @11.1.3    3 months ago

You know what a horny pirate's worst nightmare is? A piratess with a sunken chest and no booty!

I agree with Giggles ... you did a great job with me. Oh. And the pirate picture is cute too.

Split Personality
11.2  Split Personality  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @11    3 months ago

Kraken !!

So many Krakens, so little time.

11.2.1  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @11.2    3 months ago

Why is the Kraken menacing a storm trooper?

Split Personality
11.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @11.2.1    3 months ago

I think it's a Greek guy waving a towell to keep the kraken from eating the maiden in the white sheet?

They really are too tiny to tell, lol

11.2.3  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @11.2.2    3 months ago

Oh. Ok. But I see a Storm Trooper. I guess that's just the rock

badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη
11.2.4  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  Split Personality @11.2    3 months ago

I found your Kraken pipe.....

Phoenyx13
12  Phoenyx13    3 months ago

i have friends who throw pirate themed parties in honor of this day - quite fun :)

cobaltblue
12.1  cobaltblue  replied to  Phoenyx13 @12    3 months ago
i have friends who throw pirate themed parties in honor of this day

I hope if they drank, they knew enough to call Ubarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

12.1.1  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  cobaltblue @12.1    3 months ago

This is what I love about my Sinners and ButtHeads...we don't need much to start making bad puns

badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη
12.1.2  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  Trout Giggles @12.1.1    3 months ago

I became a pirate captain for the pussy but then there was a meowtiny.

Split Personality
12.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @12.1.1    3 months ago

We do it for the halibut !

cobaltblue
13  cobaltblue    3 months ago

The pirate's birthday cake is covered with candles, almost too many too count. A pirate says to the birthday pirate: "Happy birthday! There arrrrgh too many candles to count though." To which the birthday pirate replies: "Aye matey!"

Funny-Pirate-Jokes-1.jpg

Split Personality
13.1  Split Personality  replied to  cobaltblue @13    3 months ago

Are what?

Arrrrrghhh...

Freewill
14  Freewill    2 months ago

Arrrrrrgh!  I fucking missed it!

14.1  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  Freewill @14    2 months ago

Arrrggghhhh!!!!!!!!!

A. Macarthur
15  A. Macarthur    2 months ago

After all, who can resist a good pillage opportunity?

15.1  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  A. Macarthur @15    2 months ago

It takes a village to pillage.......

A. Macarthur
15.1.1  A. Macarthur  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @15.1    2 months ago
It takes a village to pillage.......

No argument from me … but some of the most productive pillaging occurs in urban areas as well.

Allow me to move the goal posts to places like Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay.

Split Personality
16  Split Personality    2 months ago

Shiver me timbers, who revived this Old Salt? eh?

badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη
16.1  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  Split Personality @16    2 months ago

Arggg, those are just barnacles on my oar, it's safe.

16.2  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @16    2 months ago

Practice for next year

badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη
16.2.1  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  Trout Giggles @16.2    2 months ago

I just want to have a leg to stand on next year.

A. Macarthur
16.2.2  A. Macarthur  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @16.2.1    2 months ago
I just want to have a leg to stand on next year.
That's what a girl named Peg said last year …
… wooden cha' just know it?

badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη
16.2.3  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  A. Macarthur @16.2.2    2 months ago

Aye new her sister, Patches. She was easy on the eye.

A. Macarthur
16.2.4  A. Macarthur  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @16.2.3    2 months ago

Aye new her sister, Patches. She was easy on the eye.

Not to mention her ample share of booty.

Texan1211