Pineapple Upsidedown Cake
This is one of our family favorites. The recipe comes from my Paternal Great-Grandmother, and has been passed down to each new generation. I hope you enjoy it.
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
2/3 cup dark brown sugar (firmly packed)
1 small jar of Maraschino cherries
1 20 oz can of pineapple slices (rings)
1 tablespoon of pineapple juice
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Melt butter and mix with brown sugar and pineapple juice and spread the mixture evenly in a well buttered 9 x 12 inch cake pan. Pat the pineapple very dry between several sheets of paper towel, and arrange it evenly on top of the sugar mixture. Place a cherry in the center of each ring.
3. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
4. In a large mixing bowl, cream the softened butter with the sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture in three parts alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat well after each addition. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
5. Place the cake in the middle of the oven. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a tester or wooden toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Run a thin knife around the edge, and invert the cake onto a plate. Serve the cake warm or at room temperature.
Use boxed cake mix, such as white or yellow (follow cake mix directions). If I use a boxed cake mix I prefer French Vanilla cake mix. It gives the cake a richer, deeper flavor.
Use crushed pineapple instead of the rings. I put the pineapple slices in the small food chopper, but, you can also use well drained canned crushed pineapple.
Add pecans or walnuts (crushed or halves) with the topping mix.
Use a 10" round skillet instead of a cake pan (cast iron works good)