╌>

Who knows the way to San Jose ? Pigs !

Category:  Fields and Streams

Via:  petey-coober  •  10 years ago  •  24 comments

Who knows the way to San Jose ? Pigs !

LINK
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/03/wild-pigs-overrun-homeowners-in-central-california/

Wild Pigs Overrun Homeowners in Central California

[see the video at the above link ]

By Jonah Lustig

Mar 14, 2014 11:58am

Wild pigs have found new homes in areas around San Jose, Calif., much to the frustration of the humans who already live there.

The feral pigs have acclimated to residential neighborhoods in central California, damaging property and threatening the safety of homeowners, according to ABC News station KGO-TV in San Francisco.

They have become more than just a nuisance, San Jose resident Shaneen Stroup told KGO.

My friend actually, because they get to be like 300 pounds, was chased to my front door one night by them, she said.

ABC wild pigs kab 140314 16x9 608 Wild Pigs Overrun Homeowners in Central California

(Photo Credit: KGO-TV)

In a memorandum addressed to the San Jose City Council, Councilman Johnny Khamis estimated that the pigs have caused thousands of dollars in property damage and pose a safety threat to children and adults. He believes the recent drought is to blame for populations moving from the hills closer to residential areas, he told KGO.

Officials from the city of San Jose have issued a manual to help residents manage the problem, saying more aggressive measures to control the population are impractical, dangerous or illegal.

It is difficult and costly to have a lasting impact on the pig populations in this area through trapping or hunting, they write in the manual. It is illegal to relocate pigs it is dangerous to the community to hunt pigs.

The city says the most effective way for homeowners to get rid of the pigs is to put up low, sturdy fences in their yards. Other recommendations include using chemicals to rid lawns of bugs on which the pigs feed and putting up motion detectors to scare them away with lights or sound.

SHOWS: Good Morning America

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober    10 years ago

As generous as your offer is , the state of California frowns on such activities especially in residential neighborhoods . But there are , apparently ways to do this hunting in a fairly safe manner .

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Well ... as you have already guessed California differs significantly from Texas . But tell me this : what do they do in Texas if they get feral pigs in suburban neighborhoods ?

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent
link   Neale Osborn    10 years ago

what do they do in Texas if they get feral pigs in suburban neighborhoods ?

Pig roast. Pretty damn tasty.

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent
link   Neale Osborn    10 years ago

All I have to say about this is that IF wild pigs were to ever threaten my family or property, they'd eat a bullet. PERIOD

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I expect that someone with a good quality gun and good aim could get very effective results in short order .
In California they are obsessive about possible collateral damage . But I have it on good authority that shooting down from a tree yields far safer results . That would be doubly so if you hunted with a bow ...

Thanks for your perspective !

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     10 years ago

''a low sturdy fence''...Are you kidding me, only a politician could come up with that solution.

Have they ever seen what a boar will do to a fence, door, or anything that getsin it's way!!!!

These animals get very large, have very large tusks and a warthog mean temper.

Damn fool.

Swamijim sez
Freshman Silent
link   Swamijim sez    10 years ago

Note: A "low sturdy fence" is best established using 1/4 inch thick steel plate, 48 inches high, welded to 4 inch diameter galvanized steel-pipe posts spaced 36-40 inches apart. For optimum results, posts should extend 36-44 inches below ground level, filled with concrete once they are in place. Steel plate should extend at least 12 inches below ground level and topped with razor-wire (Caution: Children should be discouraged from playing near the fence area).

To check sturdiness of your fence, try ramming it with a Ford F-350 Superduty 4 X 4 running at 45-50 mph-- if the fence stops your truck, it will probably stand up to feral hogs.

(A Public Service message from your San Jose City Council)

Kavika
Professor Principal

ROTFL, good one Swmaijim, a tip of the old Billy Jack hat on that one.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

One can never have enough kangaroos . They are fascinating creatures and make good companions ... 114.gif

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Silly thing to ask . One might as well ask how a great work of art tastes ...

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I'm thinkin' that the Dems should change their "avatar" to something more appropriate for their current strategy :

4712_discussions.jpg

screminmimi
Freshman Silent
link   screminmimi    10 years ago

I saw this news report and couldn't believe they were advocating "low sturdy fences" as the only remedy for safety.

Bet there are a lot of illegal firearms in San Jose right now.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Petey, there are many species of kangaroo. Your going to have to determine which one you are. Inquiring minds want to know.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Gun owners are flooding the sheriff's offices in two California counties with applications for concealed weapon permits following a bombshell ruling two weeks ago by a federal appeals court that citizens need not justify their requests.

Orange and Ventura counties have dropped the "good cause" standard for issuing conceal carry permits after the requirement was struck down Feb. 13 by the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeal. A three-judge panel of the court ruled 2 to 1 that the Second Amendment bars California counties from requiring law-abiding gun owners who want to carry concealed firearms to demonstrate special, individualized needs for protection.

More than 500 applications have poured in to the Orange County Sheriffs Department in just two weeks roughly the total number of applications filed in 2013

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I am definitely grey but I still hop OK ... Does that help ?

Kavika
Professor Principal

LOL, well it helps a little.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

See that ... You can't say that Cali legislators are not ahead of the curve . Well done ! [which is exactly how I like my pork ] .

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Was the article picture one of them ?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    10 years ago

ARGHH!!!

YES, I saw the title of this and thought about the packing company!!! Great article, and thanks for posting it!

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I had an inkling that might be the case . Sorry to bring up an unpleasant memory but OTOH sometimes writing about it can be therapeutic ... And here is a link back to your article :

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Here is a link about hog hunting in Texas ... which seems to be overrun with them !

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Here is an important new legal development which could affect this issue :

Federal Court Rejects California Appeal, Reaffirms Second Amendment Victory Over Conceal-Carry Restrictions

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   Neetu2    10 years ago

Time to eat more pork? Maybe? Oh, hunting not a good idea? Hmmmmm, in that case, maybe the pigs should be allowed some piggie rights to property.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Not if it kills you first !