╌>

"This Biotech Stock Looks Like a Good Investment" (IMGN)

Category:  Stock Market & Investments

Via:  the-irascible-harry-krishner  •  11 years ago  •  1 comments

"This Biotech Stock Looks Like a Good Investment" (IMGN)

The biotech sector is heating up with new technology platforms that are showing big promise. One such big promising technology comes from a company known as ImmunoGen (NASDAQ: IMGN ) . ImmunoGen uses a system called the "TAP" technology, also known as Targeted Antibody Payload.

Currently, antibodies are able to bind to cancer cells but have no effect on killing the target cancer cells. This is where ImmunoGen's technology comes into play as it allows killing cells to bind to the antibodies.

This allows the cells to be known as payloads, or a way for the antibodies to specifically target the cancerous cells. Without the engineered payload, the antibodies can't fight cancer. This type of technology is unique and has shown great promise so far. The pipeline of ImmunoGen is extensive, and the company has partnered its technology platform with many other biotech companies.

(Link)

Note: The stock has had a bit of a move up, so at this point I would label it quite speculative-- very risky, so I am not necessarily recommending it now.

z?s=IMGN&t=1y&q=&l=&z=l&a=v&p=s&lang=en-US&region=US "Full disclosure": Yesterday I bought a little IMGN at $15.49. I also own a little MRK from some time ago (not my favourite stock but it pays a dividend of over 3.5%). Right now things don't look great for MRK-- which has kept the price relatively low...possibly a fair buy at this price? (Also, MRK has not had the sort of big run up we've seen recently in some of the other "Big Pharma" names:

Here's a comparison chart of Merck with Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson, & Bristol-Myers for the last 6 months:

Chart forMerck & Co. Inc. (MRK)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    11 years ago

Another possible buyout could come from Merck (NYSE: MRK ) , because the company is starting to begin a lot of cancer drug programs. I think that it could add ImmunoGen to its portfolio to advance itself greatly in the cancer drug space. Merck has about $17 billion cash on hand, which would be enough if it wants to acquire ImmunoGen.

I haven't researched the probability of buyout. However, from what I know I don't see any reason why if it happens the buyer would be more likely to be MRK than any other of the big players. (Since the price of IMGN is relatively low, and apparent;y their technologies are really pretty cool, IMO it would be a good company for one of thee major players to buy).