╌>

The Original Magic 8-Ball

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  the-irascible-harry-krishner  •  13 years ago  •  40 comments

The Original Magic 8-Ball

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

magic8ball_.jpg

The Magic 8-Ball is a toy used for fortune-telling or seeking advice, manufactured by Mattel. The device was invented in 1946 by Albert Carter, son of a clairvoyant, who marketed and sold the device with Abe Bookman of the Alabe Crafts Company (a company named for the first letters in Carter's and Bookman's first names). Although Carter is the inventor, Bookman is often credited for the invention of the device. (LINK)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    13 years ago

The 20 answers inside a Magic 8-Ball are:

It is certain It is decidedly so Without a doubt Yes definitely You may rely on it As I see it, yes Most likely Outlook good Signs point to yes Yes Reply hazy, try again Ask again later Better not tell you now Cannot predict now Concentrate and ask again Don't count on it My reply is no My sources say no Outlook not so good Very doubtful 10 of the possible answers are affirmative ( ), 5 are negative ( ), and 5 are non-committal ( ). Using the Coupon collector's problem in probability theory , it can be shown that it takes, on average, 72 [ 2 ] questions of the Magic Eight Ball for all 20 of its answers to appear at least once

Swamijim sez
Freshman Silent
link   Swamijim sez    10 years ago

I believe they're a prominent factor in all Congressional Committee meetings...

Chloe
Freshman Silent
link   Chloe    10 years ago

I never had one, but I love to use it as a joke in comments. Grin.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    10 years ago

Are they still around? I had one in the late 60s, but, of course, it's gone... Grin.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     10 years ago

I onlyplayed 9 ball...Smile.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    10 years ago

I onlyplayed 9 ball...Smile.gif

There's a rumour (as yet unconfirmed) that Apple has bought up the company and is planning to bring out Magic10Ball-- a vers 10.0 as it were.

It is thought to have a larger window that is shatterproof and has considerably higher screen definition, (the one you look at to see the answers), a more complete set of answers perhaps over 200 in all, a more advanced doohickey inside with greatly increased processing power (to decrease the amt of time you have to wait for answers).

It can be dropped on sidewalks from a height of as great 12 ft without the case cracking, fingerprint recognition for security, parental controls to completely monitor which answers your kids can see, completely water-proof to a depth of 20 meters plus, & will have a heart-rate monitor (as an accessory available for a slight additional charge).

The user will now have the option of viewing the answers in some 50 or so nifty fonts, and a choice of regular, bold, italic, or bold italic. Additional optional extras: a subscription to Amazon plus and/or Roku, voice recognition, high speed internet access, several games including Farmville, Solitaire, Tetris & Candy Crush, 5 UBS ports, access to wireless printing, and complete compatibility with MAC, Windows, OS/2 and Tandy operating systems.

Basic black is standard, but it is available in a wide variety of designer colours and some really cool graphic patterns for a nominal additional fee.

Yes, the pricetag is a bit high. But according to "usually reliable sources", it appears that Samsung may soon bring out several competing models, which should probably cause a price war, resulting in substantially lower prices (well, at least for entry level models).

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     10 years ago

Sounds wonderful Krish, but I'll stick to 9 ball.Smile.gif I like the feel of a que in my hand, not a joystick.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    10 years ago

These are more fun & higher tech but they don't speak English ...

Chloe
Freshman Silent

a more complete set of answers perhaps over 200 in all, a more advanced doohickey inside with greatly increased processing power (to decrease the amt of time you have to wait for answers).

It can be dropped on sidewalks from a height of as great 12 ft without the case cracking, fingerprint recognition for security, parental controls to completely monitor which answers your kids can see, completely water-proof to a depth of 20 meters plus, & will have a heart-rate monitor

..and will drive you to the hospital if you have a heart attack or stroke, will arrange for the care of your home (and family or pets) and property, have your vehicle serviced, book a flight for himself and your smart phone in South America, sell your car and home, ship out your family and pets, and have a batch of smart odd-ball kids that talk a lot. They will perform at the local clubs for a "nominal additional fee" which is just a "slight additional charge" over the competitors.

__

Do you really think people will pay a lot for these? They sound like fun to play with, but like Trivial Pursuit, once we know all the answers...

Chloe
Freshman Silent

I didn't need to add a smiley or sarc tag, did I? That was humor!! Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I just want an old fashioned one. No whistles and bells. Just some fun! Smile.gif

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    10 years ago

I thought they were going to call it the iBall. The neighbor kids had one when I was growing up. They were devout Catholics and told me I was going to hell because I was a Methodist. They worshiped that thing, I kid you not - it had Saintly status in their house. It broke one day and Lydia, the youngest girl at about 12 years of age, cried for 2 days. Her mother made her go to confession and confess her love for the 8-ball to the priest. The priest had a fit and pressed her to learn that the kids also had an Ouija board and he told her to get rid of it cause it was a tool of the devil. They brought the Ouija board next door and gave it to the Methodist kid - me.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

Do you have to be smoking dope in the dark for that to work right?

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Well ... that helps fo sho . But it works irregardless .
Here are some models you can buy online that supposedly make decisions :

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

Nah, I don't want one. I use cat entrails for all my important questions.

Petey, in the spirit of the argumentative tone of NT nowadays, there is no such word as Irregardless. Now I am supposed to go on an accuse you of being a tea party member and anti-Semetic, but I shan't since I know it's not true.

Chloe
Freshman Silent

Now I am supposed to go on an accuse you of being a tea party member and anti-Semetic,

I could be wrong, but I think there might be some you left out. (./s - just kidding!!)

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

Please leave me alone Chloe.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Using cat entrails is going to keep you from membership in the cat group . Is it worth it for such an exclusion ?
Inre : irregardless ... it just felt right to utilize that word . I've never written nor uttered it B4 . Now that I know it can cause consternation [there's another rare one ] I might have to use it all-the-time ...

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

It's a double negative, ya know. It only gives hemorrhoids to the grammar Nazis and that, in an of itself, is a fairly good reason to use it as frequently as possible. I'm not a grammar Nazi, as you may have already noticed - I make stupendous grammar mistakes quite frequently. An all American boy, taught in public school I am, so I have an excuse. he he he

Chloe
Freshman Silent

Petey,

consternation

Isn't that what they call the stars?

Just like to joke with everyone...hope that's ok to be social with you? Is there something I need to check off first, or is it ok to have fun with others that are here without approval?

Chloe
Freshman Silent

Ok.. Grump, I don't get what the problem is and would like an opportunity to rectify it, because I'm certain there must be a misunderstanding.

I treat everyone with respect and try to be a good person, and there would not be a reason for me to treat you differently.

If something I said or did in the past upset you, I am truly sorry. I am 'not' a mean-spirited person.

Btw, I hope you didn't 'read into' my comment above to you -- I was joking about all of the epithets that people use and you just stated two of them--it didn't mean anything else.

Thank you listening if you did. Again, I would never have had any reason to upset you.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Chloe   8 years ago

Here's what they looked like (LINK).

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Damn boy ... you is well versed in your grammers !

irregardless
an erroneous word that, etymologically, means the exact opposite of what it is used to express, attested in non-standard writing from at least 1870s

At least I've got history on my side ...

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

Please leave me alone Chloe.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

Petey, I'm co admin in the Dog Days group, but I do love the kitties. I have had bunches of them. Right now I am corralled by 2 vicious Corgies who love my grandsons and I to distraction. I may have to get the Corgies a kitty in the near future just to keep them on their toes. Lilly might get somewhat pissy with the kitty, but I think Jack will make friends fairly quickly.

I'll switch to goat entrails if I get a kitty.Grin.gif

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Corgies are a hoot & a half ...

Chloe
Freshman Silent

Petey, I love dogs and have had several and would love to join the dogs group but I have been rejected three times and I don't know why. I like everyone there.

I love cats as well...and all of the people.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

They are extremely sweet and intelligent. They are the same size about as a border collie, but with short legs. They are very charming and very sensitive, too. Do you know some Corgis?

10960_discussions.jpg?width=721 Jack The Pirate is thinking he might be in a bit of trouble because he only gets to be on the couch if I am up there - he's hanging his head a bit, too. Lilly the Princess is hoping I gave her the couch and she gets to keep it forevermore.

Their temperament is much like a Jack Russell Terrier in that they are high energy and have a mind of their own.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Based on the new avatar of the seeder , I propose talking about penguins next .

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Petey Coober   6 years ago
Based on the new avatar of the seeder , I propose talking about penguins next .

But the avatar of the seeder keeps changing-- so perhaps we should take about Chameleons . . . ?

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
link   Steve Ott    10 years ago

Love that game.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Penguins like fish ... a lot .

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

The fluid inside mine dried out. I saw it up in Mama's attic, and it was dry as a bone, 45 years later, and its ball thingy in the middle rattled around in it like a bean in an empty drawer... Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I ordered one last night-- $10. I'm sure I'll get more than $10 of fun from it!

Grin.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    9 years ago

Update, 6/16/2015: A practical application of the vast powers of The Original Magic 8-Ball. (LINK)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

I used mine last night... FUN!

Grin.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    8 years ago

Its amazing how creative some of these techies can be. 

Here's an amazing fortune telling machine (albeit one with a political twist that will annoy some folks):

The Story Behind The Donald Trump Fortune Teller

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    6 years ago

This is verrrry important...now more than ever!

Krishna
Professor Expert

The 20 answers inside a Magic 8-Ball are:

Looks like there may have been some recent updates...

magic8ball-do itdrunk.jpg

Krishna
Professor Expert

You don't need a Magic 8-Ball to know which way the Kavanaugh nomination goes!