╌>

How I transcended the pain of being bullied to find success

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  xxjefferson51  •  8 years ago  •  28 comments

How I transcended the pain of being bullied to find success
Another heartbreaking tale of bullying hit the media recently, and this one ended even more tragically with the death of a precious young girl. We felt her family’s anguish as we learned of another dear soul cruelly singled out for taunting, abuse, and, in this case, much worse.

The subject of bullying continues to gain more attention, and deservedly so. I recall my own experiences with bullying, and it still can bring hot tears to my eyes. Born with severely crossed eyes and a learning disability, school was often tortuous for me, and the teasing I received from other students often drove me to stay indoors during recess. At first, I simply didn’t understand, and came home crying from school one day to ask “Mommy, am I cross-eyed?”

The pain on my mother’s face let me know that something was truly wrong with the way I was treated— simply for looking different.

In my experience, bullies can’t be reasoned with or forced to change—one cannot mandate morality and kindness. No, bullies can only be contained with strict boundaries and consequences with the hopes that a change of heart will occur. Even still, whatever is done to restrict the behavior of a bully often feels almost inconsequential compared to the lifetime scars they leave on others.

My heart goes out to those individuals who carry scars of that sort. I know a bit about scars and wounds. A severe car accident in college left me permanently disabled and eventually cost me both legs. Yet, I wear my prosthetic limbs without skin covering now, and I am amazed at the transformation of a frightened little girl who avoided recess—into a woman who has stood before countless audiences on metal legs, including both President George W. Bush and his father, President George H.W. Bush.

Maybe I learned fortitude through my childhood torments; maybe I trusted God a bit more with my weakness—which He allowed to become strengths. Whatever the case, I say to anyone bearing the scars of bullying, “You are more than the insults and injuries that assailed you.”

Those hurts don’t always go away, but we can learn to transcend them. I recall once on the set of a national television show that I was worried over the camera angle—and if it would make me look cross-eyed. My eyes were surgically repaired decades ago, but my left eye still wanders a bit, and old wounds have a habit of resurfacing. Chuckling at me, my husband, Peter, whispered, “Baby, you have metal legs and you’re wearing a skirt—I don’t think folks will be looking at your eyes!”

I had to laugh at myself—and I think that’s what I’d like to offer wounded hearts who carry the pain of being bullied. That pain, I’ve discovered, can serve as a catalyst to propel us to heights of confidence and success that we may have never dreamed of achieving.

I learned to place my scared hands into HIS scarred hands, and discovered that what Christ told the Apostle Paul—was equally valid for me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.” When Paul heard that statement, he went on to write, “Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)

I am deeply moved to consider that we have a Savior who understands this in ways we cannot—He allowed Himself to be bullied …on our behalf. http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/02/05/how-transcended-pain-being-bullied-to-find-success.html?intcmp=hphz03

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    8 years ago

I had to laugh at myself

Me too laughing dude

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  pat wilson   8 years ago

Is this like a bullying reply to the seeded message?  

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    8 years ago

This was an important message for those who are treated badly by bullies . It is possible to find strength in spite of the ill treatment ...

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    8 years ago

"maybe I trusted God a bit more with my weakness—which He allowed to become strengths."

That was nice of Him.  For His next trick, maybe He can teach her that He had nothing to do with it, and that it is she that deserves the credit for changes she made in her life, because He doesn't exist.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   8 years ago

I don't think that type of theophobia is helpful here.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

Some hate God so much that they would happily deny others a form of help for dealing with their trauma or even add to their trauma by mocking their choice to reply upon a higher power to help them get through it. It's sad really.  

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  XXJefferson51   8 years ago
What could be better therapy than an epiphany that the credit for your good fortune is all yours, instead of a magical sky fairy? Talk about sad.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   8 years ago

What's truly sad is that you would deny many the healing from trauma that faith and belief in a very real higher power can bring.  Just because you don't want to believe in God gives you no right to belittle others who rely on that belief for healing and inner peace.  You just come across as another of their bullies when you do that.  

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   8 years ago

Hal ,

What makes you say God is a male ?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

Good question.  

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

Sarcasm escapes you Petey.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Hal ,

Your convenient excuse of calling what you say "sarcasm" is just a dodge of avoiding the complexities of issues you don't understand . Sarcasm ? More like DUH ! Next time use the sarcasm label within the same comment ... also DUH !

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

Petey, what gender is the Flying Spaghetti Monster?  Is that a sensible question for somebody who doesn't believe the FSM exists?

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Hal ,

You still don't understand the issues involved in religious arguments . I realize that is due to lack of interest . But in spite of that you put all your energies into attacking just one religion . I suggest you spread the hate around ...

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
  • You're changing the subject of your own comment.
  • We've been through how utterly untruthful that allegation is numerous times, and you continue to parrot it every time you change the subject of your own comment, because you have no intelligent rebuttal to my responses.

Have a nice day.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

We've been through how utterly untruthful that allegation is numerous times

Hell , you can't even repeat the "allegation" so I know what you're referring to . You hate Christianity alone . Other religions ; nah . So your act of hating all religions is a sham . But we have known that about you all along ...

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

Obviously I didn't need to repeat the allegation, Comment removed for CoC violation [ph]

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Obviously you are into your own thing . You still hate Christianity when there are so many religions worthy of your contempt . Calling me a troll doesn't change that reality . I'm going to have to call you Comment removed for CoC violation [ph] for dodging your "moral" duty of calling out one of the few religions who won't cut your head off [literally] . Morality ? Bullshit !

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
You have a lot of nerve Hal, coming on my seed and calling another fine member a troll when you virtually act harshly toward those who are dealing with various trauma and issues and find comfort in a higher power you choose not to believe in. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XXJefferson51   8 years ago

No one should be calling anyone names, and that goes for both Hal and Petey, XX Jeff. That is what I am here for. You can't scold one without scolding the other for bad behavior. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
By the grace of God, we will have a good day and have Him to thank for it.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

... as long as He decides not to drown us all again.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide

Go and sin no more.  The rainbow was Gods covenant with us that a global flood won't happen again.  

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

Actually, rainbows are an arch of colors formed in the sky in certain circumstances, caused by the refraction and dispersion of the sun's light by rain or other water droplets in the atmosphere.  You should have paid more attention in science class.

As far as your "go and sin no more" suggestion, please be advised that it is a known fact that this passage from the Holy Babble was not even in the original scriptures.  The entire fable of Jesus and the hooker was added to the original scriptures by a scribe who felt his thoughts were as infallible as your nonexistent god's.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide

And you know he doesn't exist how exactly?  If you said you don't believe He exists, you could say why.  To say you knowHe doesn't exist is simple arrogance on your part fueled by hate.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
And how, exactly, do you know that the Flying Spaghetti Monster does not exist?  Or Zeus? Or any of the historical gods that you have chosen to not believe in? See how easy it is to rebut that pathetic line of reasoning?

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    8 years ago

Whether we believe in God or not, the writer's message is one of empathy and hope to parents of children that are bullied or for others that are going through the bullying themselves.  It's a gift for someone to share an experience that holds such a powerful emotion for them and one that we should graciously receive whether it affects us directly or not.  We don't have to accept every part of the message in order to see value in it.    

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

At least you and Peter get the point of the seed.  Some it seems can't let go of their partisanship on issues even on what should have been a non partisan issue.