╌>

AG Lynch: DOJ Has Discussed Whether to Pursue Civil Action Against Climate Change Deniers

Category:  Environment/Climate

Via:  petey-coober  •  8 years ago  •  9 comments

AG Lynch: DOJ Has Discussed Whether to Pursue Civil Action Against Climate Change Deniers

LINK :
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/melanie-hunter/ag-lynch-doj-has-discussed-whether-pursue-legal-action-against-climate

By Melanie Hunter | March 9, 2016 | 3:10 PM EST

Attorney General Loretta Lynch (AP Photo)

(CNSNews.com) – Attorney General Loretta Lynch acknowledged Wednesday that there have been discussions within the Department of Justice about possibly pursuing civil action against so-called climate change deniers.

“This matter has been discussed. We have received information about it and have referred it to the FBI to consider whether or not it meets the criteria for which we could take action on,” Lynch said at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on Justice Department operations.

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) raised the issue, drawing a comparison between possible civil action against climate change deniers and civil action that the Clinton administration pursued against the tobacco industry for claiming that the science behind the dangers of tobacco was unsettled.

“The similarities between the mischief of the tobacco industry pretending that the science of tobacco’s dangers was unsettled and the fossil fuel industry pretending that the science of carbon emissions’ dangers is unsettled has been remarked on widely, particularly by those who study the climate denial apparatus that the fossil fuel industry has erected,” Whitehouse said.

“Under President Clinton, the Department of Justice brought and won a civil RICO action against the tobacco industry for its fraud. Under President Obama, the Department of Justice has done nothing so far about the climate denial scheme,” Whitehouse added.

“A request for action by the Department of Justice has been referred by you to the FBI. My question to you is other than civil forfeitures and matters attendant to a criminal case, are there other circumstances in which a civil matter under the authority of the Department of Justice has been referred to the FBI?” he asked.

“Senator, thank you for raising that issue, and thank you for your work in this area. I know your commitment is deep. This matter has been discussed. We have received information about it and have referred it to the FBI to consider whether or not it meets the criteria for which we could take action on. I’m not aware of a civil referral at this time,” said Lynch.

“I will look into that and get back to you, but I’m not aware of a civil referral outside of the one that you just raised,” added Lynch.

“Are there any civil cases with the United States as plaintiff within DOJ’s civil division in which the FBI is preparing the case for the civil division?” Whitehouse asked.

“Are you regarding climate change issues?” Lynch asked.

“Regarding any matter,” Whitehouse asked.

“I couldn’t give you that information right now in terms of whether or not—” Lynch responded.

“I will take that as a question for the record,” Whitehouse said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober    8 years ago

First comment :

In all fairness to AG Lynch , she avoided coming down on either side of this tricky issue , wisely I believe . To arrive at a satisfactory conclusion the issue of what constitutes "science" needs to be addressed ...

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    8 years ago

So, the next thing is a suit against Santa Claus, Easter Rabbit, Tooth Fairy?????

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober  replied to  1stwarrior   8 years ago

When it comes to suits brought by the left , there is no limit to the mud that can be slung or the slime that can be slimed :

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    8 years ago

If they pursue that route, I think it would merit impeachment. 

What an insane idea. And people think trump is a radical.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober  replied to  Sean Treacy   8 years ago

I expect it would be equally important to delineate what is non-science as what is considered science . The legal profession is one of the least able to make such a distinction ... IMO .

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    8 years ago

More thought crime as defined by the left.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

Just because a senator is named "Whitehouse" doesn't mean he has more influence than other senators . Rhode Island has long been known to have ties to organized crime at the top levels of its state representatives . People like that look for distracting issues to focus on so as to avoid dealing with the hard choices .