PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    8 years ago

Hard times for the Sanctimonious White Lady Party

Interesting.......

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

"The Democratic party is an odd apparatus in which most of the power is held by sanctimonious little old liberal white ladies with graduate degrees and very high incomes — Hillary Rodham Clinton, Elizabeth Warren, Randi Weingarten — while the manpower, the vote-power, and the money-power (often in the form of union dues) comes from a disproportionately young and non-white base made up of people who, if they are doing well, might earn one-tenth of the half-million dollars a year Weingarten was paid as the boss of the teachers’ union. They are more likely to be cutting the grass in front of Elizabeth Warren’s multi-million-dollar mansion than moving into one of their own. They roll their eyes at Hillary Rodham Clinton’s risible “abuela” act, having actual abuelas of their own.

As in the Republican party, the Democrats have a restive base that is more radical than its leadership, more aggressive, and in search of signs of tribal affiliation. The Democratic base is not made up of little old liberal white ladies with seven-, eight-, and nine-figure bank balances, but the party’s leadership is."

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy  replied to  XXJefferson51   8 years ago

It's  a good summary of the state of the party.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Sean Treacy   8 years ago

I agree.  And to think I was once loyal to that party.  I didn't leave it though, they left me.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

It was pretty insulting to start, and part of the part of the article was as well. I did read the entire article though and parts were correct.

Yes, the party has lost contact with the ''average working class democrat''.....That, and the fact IMO that Clinton was not a good candidate to start with. I was completely fed up with Bush/Clinton dynasty and really want to see a leader in place. I hope that I never see a Bush or Clinton as a candidate again.

I believe that in addition to losing contact she ran a terrible campaign. The revelations on the dirty dealing of the DNC turned off many dem's as well. You really have to contemplate that she lost to one of the worse presidential candidates in history. That tells me that as a candidate she was a loser from the get go. The party has always had a progressive/liberal/moderate wings. FDR anyone.

I have read on NT and the news media all of the excuses why she lost. The bottom line is she didn't, nor can she connect with the ''average joe''...That is the bottom line.

One more thing. If the DNC elects Keith Ellison as the chair, they will continue to lose, not only old white vote, but additionally many more ''minority voters''...That is a fact, being a minority myself and following the voting in my ''minority'' community it became plain that she couldn't connect with my community. She was typically dismissive of us as a voting block. And it showed in the results.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    8 years ago

"In my opinion, we don't need white people leading the Democratic Party right now."

this is what happens when a party makes identity politics its reason for existence. Tough environment for rich white women.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Sean Treacy   8 years ago

identity politics its reason for existence

Exactly.  If your politics is based on identity instead of ideals it continually follows a downward spiral.