╌>

Hypocritical of Dems to Criticize a Sitting Judge While Complaining About Trump Doing Same Thing

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  xxjefferson51  •  7 years ago  •  30 comments

Hypocritical of Dems to Criticize a Sitting Judge While Complaining About Trump Doing Same Thing
(CNSNews.com) - Democrats insist it is inappropriate and offensive to malign a federal judge, but listen to what they've said about you, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) told Judge Neil Gorsuch at his confirmation hearing on Wednesday.

"My colleagues, the Democrats, have a right to engage in whatever attacks they choose. But it's a little rich for them to be maligning a sitting federal judge, and at the same time giving speeches about how unacceptable it is for anyone to criticize a federal judge. You can't have both at the same time."

Cruz read some of the Democrats' criticism of Gorsuch (see below).

Cruz spoke after Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) noted that in the first two days of the Gorsuch confirmation hearing, "we have seen the independence of Judge Gorsuch attacked no fewer than 27 times. We've seen the independence of the Supreme Court of the United States and of the federal judiciary called into question no fewer than 17 times. Those are stats from the first two days alone," Lee said -- excluding statements made on Wednesday.

Judiciary Committee Members Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) and Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii) were among those who criticized President Trump for referring to the "so-called judge" who ruled against Trump's travel ban; and for saying during the campaign that a "Mexican" judge (by heritage only) could not fairly rule on a case involving Trump.

Even Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of S.C. told Gorsuch on Wednesday that Trump’s criticism of federal judges “was really out of bounds.” Graham said he just wanted to "associate myself" with Gorsuch’s comment that any criticism of a sitting judge’s honesty or integrity is “disheartening and demoralizing.”

Sen. Cruz told Gorsuch he would not ask him to respond to any of the attacks. But he did read some of them into the record, as follows:

Former Speaker Nancy Pelosi said on national television, Judge Gorsuch is quote, "hostile to women's rights and holds radical views far outside the mainstream of American legal thought." She continued, quote, "What saddens me the most as a mom and a grandmother is his hostility towards children in school, children with autism". She additionally went on to say quote, "if you breathe air, drink water, eat food, take medicine, or in any other way interact with the courts -- if you care about that for your children, he's not your guy."

It's interesting, given the Democrats are complaining about people criticizing federal judges. Senator Whitehouse on Monday said, quote, "tellingly, big special interests and their front groups are spending millions of dollars in a dark-money campaign to push your confirmation. They obviously think you will be worth their money." That also somehow falls short of the Democrats' complaints about criticisms directed at the judiciary.

Indeed, Senator Hirono, on Monday said quote, "you consistently choose corporations and powerful interests over people, ideology over commonsense and indeed the purpose of the law." Senator Durbin, "in case after case, you either dismissed or rejected efforts by workers and families to recognize their rights and defend their freedoms."

Senator Franken, "But if the past is prologue, then I fear that confirming you would guarantee more of the same from the Roberts court, decisions that continue to favor powerful corporate interest over the rights of average Americans."

Tom Perez, the DNC chairman, "Gorsuch on the Supreme Court is intolerable. Judge Gorsuch would discriminate against a majority of Americans from the bench." The chairman of the Democratic Party charging that a judge would discriminate.
“These are serious attacks. Many of them impugn your integrity directly,” Cruz said. He said the attacks “speak for themselves.”

Cruz then asked Gorsuch, “Will you pledge to be faithful to the law and the Constitution, and neither favor nor disfavor any litigant based on who they are?”

“I guarantee no more and I promise you no less,” Gorsuch replied.

“That is precisely what we should expect of judges,” Cruz responded. http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/sen-cruz-hypocritical-dems-criticize-sitting-judge-while-complaining-about

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51    7 years ago

Cruz is right.  Democrats attack a sitting judge after bashing Trump for doing it.  No surprise here.  After all, it's democrats we're talking about here and their congressional ones have no honor. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

They have no honor nor any sense of decency. They and their useful idiots are hypocrites. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    7 years ago

Blah, blah, blah ...

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

Blah, blah, blah is right.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

The intellectual level of debate on the left on display in the two posts above.  Oops! They have none.   vomitcrazyliarlaughing dude

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    7 years ago

They are  hypocrites and too stupid to realize their hypocrisy. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Sean Treacy   7 years ago

None are so blind as those who won't see.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide

I opposed the denigrating of a sitting judge in all cases.  I'm consistent.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide

Deleted duplicate response.  D. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    7 years ago

The Dems are calling out inconsistencies with a republican scotus nominee. This is way different than Trump ridiculing a sitting judge because of their ethnicity or their particular district. Way, way different.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

Absolutely. Completely different.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/71-YbtnuHw8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

That is how you are supposed to question a judge looking for a job on the SCOTUS. It is in no way the same thing as criticizing a judge because of their race.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

As this is presented here, I know I would have unhooked that trailer and saved my life.  I don't care for Franken one bit, but I would have disagreed the trucker should have been fired from, what obviously as it is presented , saving his life and not putting others in danger in doing so.  I disagree with Gorsuch as presented here.

As far as Luke, the autistic boy, that one is a little more difficult to me.  I would like to know how Luke is doing today in his new surroundings.  I mean there are some situations no one can help.  If the child was progressing in school as it was determined, but not as good as they would like him to do, but not progressing at home at all, I don't know how anyone can be expected to control the home environment.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

As far as Luke, the autistic boy, that one is a little more difficult to me.  I would like to know how Luke is doing today in his new surroundings.  I mean there are some situations no one can help.  If the child was progressing in school as it was determined, but not as good as they would like him to do, but not progressing at home at all, I don't know how anyone can be expected to control the home environment.

My father was a trucker driver for 35 years, so I agree that the driver should not have been fired either. Sometimes it's easy for a dispatcher to sit in a warm office and give instructions and orders to drivers who are out fighting blizzards, ice and cold. I am glad the driver was able to keep his job, but disturbed that Judge Gorsuch strictly followed the letter of the law, without applying more commonsense to his decision. In many ways laws are still a guideline and if we are just going to follow the letter of them strictly, then we don't need judges as much as we just need robots. I feel the same with automatic sentencing laws. It seems as if you are always hearing a person who is getting a third strike and being sent to prison for life for stealing a package of Twinkies while on probation or parole or something else as absurd.

I also would have to know more about the case of the boy with autism. There are so many different levels of severity of the disorder that it is hard to tell what is right with what I have heard so far.

CM
Freshman Silent
link   CM  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Sometimes it's easy for a dispatcher to sit in a warm office and give instructions and orders to drivers who are out fighting blizzards, ice and cold.

I know of another situation where people were waiting on instructions from their Office Fire Martial or Supervisors to give them instructions to evacuate the Floors they were working  3,000 people died that Tuesday Morning September 11, 2001...

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Al Franken is an idiot. crazy

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Trump attacked an sitting judge's race/heritage....That is a very personal, highly insulting and is totally classless.

The questioning of Judge Gorsuch did not attack his heritage/race. His decisions were what was questioned.

The two are not similar by any stretch of the imagination.