╌>

Gloating is not nice! ... ... by Bob Nelson

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  bob-nelson  •  7 years ago  •  10 comments

Gloating is not nice!   ...   ... by Bob Nelson

David Frum was a pillar of the Republican establishment back in the Bush administration, who never accepted the takeover of the GOP by the Tea Party / KochBrothers alliance. In particular, he objected to the party's obstinacy in not participating in healthcare legislation when Obama took office. He felt that

Health care may not be a human right, but the lack of universal health coverage in a wealthy democracy is a severe, unjustifiable, and unnecessary human wrong.

He wrote a memorable essay called "Waterloo" when the GOP failed to come through on its promise that the ACA would be "Obama's Waterloo". He was fired from the American Enterprise Institute the next week. Revenge is sweet:

The Republican Waterloo   by David Frum

Press Secretary is a tough job. Press Secretary for Donald Trump is... ... harder.

Watch the Life Drain From Sean Spicer as He Defends Trump's Obviously Doomed Health Bill   by Sidney Fussel , Gizmodo

Dylan Matthews is a genuine healthcare policy wonk. Paul Ryan is not and never was.

The myth of Paul Ryan was shattered today  by Dylan Matthews, Vox

Ezra Klein is one of the most astute and most eclectic of Washington observers. He doesn't like messy.

The failure of the Republican health care bill reveals a party unready to govern  by Ezra Klein, Vox

It's been a wild week!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson    7 years ago

These articles hit the Internet within minutes of the bill's withdrawal. They were ready and waiting... which implies that their authors were more aware than Mr Trump.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

Without question there are some who were giddy about Trump and the Republicans failure to pass one of their signature promises.  

For me it's not necessarily about Trump not being able to pass a new health care bill BUT more about his inept leadership, his refusal to take any responsibility and how quickly he is willing to walk away from those who he claims will be tremendously hurt by the ACA.  

It's just beyond reason how anyone can think this man can govern.  He's just not invested in the American people.  He's more concerned about himself.   

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

BUT more about his inept leadership, his refusal to take any responsibility and how quickly he is willing to walk away from those who he claims will be tremendously hurt by the ACA.  

It's just beyond reason how anyone can think this man can govern.  He's just not invested in the American people.  He's more concerned about himself.   

Absolutely. 

It will be interesting to see how this flagrant ineptitude will be accepted by the Tea Party faithful. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

I liked the last article the best.  It was a clear zinger!  And one where it said, "The bill took all the bad, negative, etc., things that progressives believe about conservatives and proved them."  

I don't hate conservatives.  At all.  I like many of them.  But you can not have a totally heartless bill, that goes after the poor, the elderly, and 50% of the population, and gives the savings to the rich.  We are a government to care about everybody, not just the elite few.  Or, at least, that's how I see it.

I'm sure I'll be blasted into oblivion over that statement, but it is true.  ALL of us deserve a government that has our best interests at heart-- not just an elite few.

And BTW, Obamacare has been enormously successful, and isn't going to explode any time soon-- as long as it is fixed or left alone.  I'm all for tweaking it, but to abandon those it helps the most is unbelievable.  And yes, this bill took all the heartless, horrible things I think about the latest conservative movement and encapsulates them into one giant, enormous pile.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Yeah - I love Ezra Klein.  My favorite excerpt:

In the interviews Trump is giving today, it is clear he has somehow convinced himself tax reform will be easier. It won’t be. And soon, Republicans will have to raise the debt ceiling, and pass their appropriations bills, and, if they’re going to hold to any of Trump’s budget proposals, find 60 votes to bust the budget caps. And they’re going to do all of that with the myth of Ryan’s policy genius and Trump’s dealmaking skill shattered. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

I'll bring the popcorn if you bring the beer.  peace

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

It is still possible for the GOP to sabotage the ACA by strangling funding or tying it up back in court for years again. That can't rally stop it, but they can damage it and then hypocritically point at it and say "See! We told you it has too many problems" when it is they themselves sabotaging it.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

I think your scenario is very likely.