╌>

Kentucky Passes “Blue Lives Matter” Bill to Make Killing Cops a Hate Crime

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  xxjefferson51  •  7 years ago  •  3 comments

Kentucky Passes “Blue Lives Matter” Bill to Make Killing Cops a Hate Crime
Kentucky’s governor made his state the second state to make it a hate crime to target police officers when he signed a “Blue Lives Matter” law, the Louisville Courier-Journal reports.

Republican Gov. Matt Bevin signed House Bill 14 earlier this week. However, the measure won’t go into effect until this summer.

According to LegiScan, the bill passed by wide margins in both Kentucky’s House and Senate, passing by 77-13 and 33-5 margins, respectively.

The bill would not only cover police officers, according to a summary, but it would also “include offenses committed against an individual because of the individual’s actual or perceived employment as a city, county, state, or federal peace officer, member of an organized fire department, (or) emergency medical services personnel.”

While the bill passed with only minor opposition in the legislature, there were still voices against it. The American Civil Liberties Union of Kentucky said it was concerned that the move could be used against anti-police demonstrators and a group called the Fairness Campaign was upset that police and first responders had been added to Kentucky’s hate crimes legislation but that transgender individuals hadn’t.

Louisiana’s Gov. Jon Bel Edwards signed a similar law into effect in the Bayou State last year.

“The men and women who put their lives on the line every day, often under very dangerous circumstances are true heroes and they deserve every protection that we can give them,” said Edwards, a Democrat, according to the New York Daily News.

Again, liberal groups protested the enacting of that legislation, with an Anti-Defamation League spokeswoman saying that “(t)he bill confuses the purpose of the Hate Crimes Act and weakens its impact by adding more categories of people, who are already better protected under other laws.”

More importantly, though, the message is clear: “Blue lives matter.”

H/T Fox News http://conservativetribune.com/state-makes-epic-move/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51    7 years ago

All states should do this.  Blue lives matter!  

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

This is one of the few bills I have supported in this state's congressional session.  There have been a few instances in the state where police have been ambushed, or picked out of crowds for assassination, etc.  So, I support this, fully.

However, I do feel that all of us should be aware that not ALL policemen are good men, and to watch for abuses on the other side, as well.  All it takes is one bad apple, to stink up the whole barrel.  I do my best to be supportive of the police, and I expect all of us to be treated fairly, in return.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

I'm so happy for your fine state and its great governor.