╌>

Bannon Loses National Security Council Role in Trump Shakeup

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  pat-wilson  •  7 years ago  •  18 comments

Bannon Loses National Security Council Role in Trump Shakeup

President Donald Trump reorganized his National Security Council on Wednesday, removing his chief strategist, Stephen Bannon, and downgrading the role of his Homeland Security Adviser, Tom Bossert, according to a person familiar with the decision and a regulatory filing.

National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster was given responsibility for setting the agenda for meetings of the NSC or the Homeland Security Council, and was authorized to delegate that authority to Bossert, at his discretion,  according to the filing.

Under the move, the national intelligence director, Dan Coats, and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Marine Corps General Joseph Dunford, are again "regular attendees" of the NSC’s principals committee.

Bannon, the former executive chairman of Breitbart News, was elevated to the National Security Council’s principals committee at the beginning of Trump’s presidency. The move drew criticism from some members of Congress and Washington’s foreign policy establishment.

A White House official said that Bannon was placed on the committee in part to monitor Trump’s first national security adviser, Michael Flynn, and never attended a meeting. He’s no longer needed with McMaster in charge of the council, the official said.

Trump fired Flynn on Feb. 13 for not disclosing to the president or to Vice President Mike Pence the extent of his conversations with Russia’s ambassador to the U.S., Sergey Kislyak, before Trump’s inauguration.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-04-05/bannon-removed-from-national-security-council-role-in-shakeup

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   seeder  pat wilson    7 years ago

Who's next....

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Good.  I sort of feel safer with him gone...  I always thought of him as an old, trigger-happy nut.

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   Jonathan P    7 years ago

This has to make everyone happy. Trump is tacking veeeeerrrrryyyyyy sloooooooowly towards a reasonable presentation of his branch.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Jonathan P   7 years ago

Either that or there's more shoes to drop !

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   Jonathan P  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

Well, yes. With this move, he's actually moved a number of pieces, bringing his National Security Council to a more traditional role.

As far as other areas of concern, I envision him summoning assistance in a variety of areas to complement the existing appointments he has made. For example, he has appointed a number of business leaders that have traditionally been occupied by bureaucrats, who typically relied upon business leaders to connect the dots. I believe he will fit the relationships in reverse, by having bureaucrats assist the business leaders on an "as needed" basis.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Jonathan P   7 years ago

YAY on the more reasonable approach!

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    7 years ago

Bannon can still attend the meetings if he chooses and will tackle more important stuff as they delegate this lower level work to others. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Maybe now Bannon can concentrate on getting that pesky wall built. /s

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

LOL!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    7 years ago

What's next??

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

Hopefully a much stronger voice for true professional in foreign policy. Trump has to learn to rely more on is NSA Lt Gen H.R. McMaster, his Defense Secretary Gen Mattis and the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Now if he really wants to show he is serious about having professionals in place in dealing with the rest of the world, he'll dump Rex Tillerson and hire a real SoS. Until then he is still full of shit.

Oh and he'll kick Bannon's Fat Bastard's ass out of the White House altogether and never listen to him again. On anything. Ever!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Sounds like a plan... 

Randy
Sophomore Participates

He also, if he's going to keep him around, drop about 90% of Kushner's portfolio. Right now he is supposedly in charge of so many things it's fodder for late night comics as well it should be. Have him concentrate on one thing and then when/if he succeeds, move him to something else. Like he is supposed to bring peace between the Palestinians and the Israelis. If he manages to do that, then I'll trust him to be our envoy to China or to solve the Opioid problem. But to have him in charge of so many things is a ridiculous, sad and sick joke and keeps those serious jobs out of the hands of the serious people who need to be doing them for the best interests of the American people.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Kushner can manage! 

He's the President's son-in-law, after all. 

'Nuff said! 

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Son-in-law of SUPER-PRESIDENT!!!! TA-DA!!! laughing dude

Oh and have that sawed off little Nazi want to be Steve Miller taken out back and shot, Kim Jung Un style with an anti-aircraft gun! Then feed what's left to hungry rats!

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

The list of his responsibilities is pure absurdity, Jared has no experience in any of the areas of governance in Trump's announcement. But everyone around Trump maintains a straight face. I don't know how they do it .

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

I know. I wouldn't last long there because I would crack up with laughter every time Jared walked into the room!

BTW, supposedly Bannon threatened to quit when he was told he was being demoted. Trump should have let him. He's a fucking joke and needs to go back to his Leninist White Nationalist friends.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

I wouldn't last long there because I would crack up with laughter every time Jared walked into the room!

Then again I'd also burst into tears every time that Russian sat down behind the desk in the oval office....