╌>

Trump's Loud Syrian Message Heard Around The World

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  xxjefferson51  •  7 years ago  •  66 comments

Trump's Loud Syrian Message Heard Around The World

Syria:  President Trump sent a loud message to Syria's Bashar al-Assad for his use of deadly Sarin gas against his own people: Your days of terrorizing your own people with chemical weapons are about to end. But many others are getting Trump's message, too.

"Tonight, I ordered a targeted military strike on the air base in Syria from where the chemical attack was launched," Trump said, speaking from Mar-a-Lago in Florida. "It is in this vital national security interest of the United States to prevent and deter the spread and use of deadly chemical weapons."

Two U.S. ships in the Mediterranean launched 59 Tomahawk missiles, striking Shayrat Airfield in western Syria, which U.S. intelligence believes has been used as a base for deadly chemical attacks against Assad's own people — including the 100 murdered this week in a Sarin gas attack.

"Using a deadly nerve agent, Assad choked off the lives of men, women and children," Trump said Thursday, visibly moved, adding: "No child of God should ever suffer such a horror."

So it's official: "Leading from behind," as official U.S. foreign policy, is dead. "Leading" is back.

Trump has clearly signaled that, after 8 years, the U.S. is ready to re-engage in the Mideast and elsewhere. This has been clear in recent weeks, as he's pointedly met with a handful of moderate and U.S.-friendly leaders in the Mideast to build a new coalition of sorts and to reassert U.S. leadership in the region.

Just this week, he met with Egypt's Egypt's President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and with Jordan's King Abdullah II, and he's recently talked with the Saudis and with Israel's Benjamin Netanyahu. He engaged Germany's Angela Merkel, Britain's Theresa May and Japan's Shinzo Abe. It's clear Trump's intent on re-establishing the damaged ties from President Obama's tenure.

But equally clear, the strike by 59 Tomahawk missiles against the Syrian military base from which chemical weapon attacks were likely launched, was a broader message from Trump to other recipients:

• Russia's Vladimir Putin . Secretary of State Rex Tillerson Thursday accused Syria's main allies, the Russians, of being a major disappointment: "Clearly Russia has failed in its responsibility," he said. "Either Russia has been complicit or either Russia has been simply incompetent in its ability to deliver on its end of that agreement."
  • Iran's terror-supporting regime , which has been pursuing a nuclear weapon with minimal interference by the previous Obama administration. Iran's mullahs will now have an element of doubt about what they're doing, and will certainly have to recalibrate their actions to match the increased risk.
  • Kim Jong-Un , the totalitarian dictator and only portly man in North Korea, who has been threatening his neighbors and the U.S. with his growing nuclear weapons know-how.
  • Recep Tayyip Erdogan , Turkey's strongman and putative U.S. ally, who may now think twice before taking advantage of Syria's civil war to expand Turkey's influence in the region. Tillerson is scheduled to travel to Turkey next week.
  • Syria's Assad , who no doubt got the message that his days as a terrorizer of his own people with WMDs are over, and that might be a good time to negotiate his departure.
  • ISIS and Hezbollah , among other terrorist groups now operating in the area: You will not commit terrorist acts with impunity.
  • And lastly, our friends and allies around the world : The U.S. will no longer turn its back on those who threaten world peace, and this country's days of weakness are now over.

It's not our job to wargame what comes next, or play armchair general. We're not beating a drum for war, or for U.S. troops to be sent back to the Mideast.

But Assad crossed a red line, one that poses a danger to all of civilization. The last time he did that, we did nothing. Now, a new president is showing Assad — and the rest of the world — that such murderous acts will have very serious consequences.

And that's a very good thing for America and the world.   http://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/trumps-message-heard-around-the-world/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51    7 years ago

'Assad crossed a red line, one that poses a danger to all of civilization. The last time he did that, we did nothing. Now, a new president is showing Assad — and the rest of the world — that such murderous acts will have very serious consequences.

And that's a very good thing for America '

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

Do you know why nothing was done last time, XX?

Check with the republican congress.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Obama didn't need congressional approval to launch punitive strikes. It's just an excuse to justify his inaction. 

trump didn't have congressional approval for yesterday's raid.

he certainly didn't bother asking for congressional approval before deciding to intervene in Libya.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Sean Treacy   7 years ago

Did Reagan get congressional 'permission' before attacking Libya?  Nope.  Because he doesn't have to.  Today, people make up 'rules' so they can pretend he did something wrong.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
link   96WS6  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

Regan attacked Libya?  Or are you talking about when BO turned the entire country into and ISIS training camp?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming   replied to  96WS6   7 years ago

LOL 96 yep he did , back in the 80s using FB-111s out of the UK, destroyed a indigent arab party tent and killed kadafis favorite pet camel, Reagan also went into grenada without congressional approval, all under the presidential war powers act . maybe some of the congress critters should restudy some of the acts and statutes on the books.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Mark in Wyoming   7 years ago

The strikes by Reagan also killed Gadaffi (sp) daughter. That was a claim made by Libya.

Maybe 96 isn't old enough to remember those strikes.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Mark in Wyoming   7 years ago

LOL 96 yep he did , back in the 80s using FB-111s out of the UK, destroyed a indigent arab party tent and killed kadafis favorite pet camel

I remember that! Some Libyan terrorists had bombed a nightclub in Berlin (?) that was a favorite for US Servicemen. They killed 2 servicemen and wounded a whole bunch more, so Reagan got some payback.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Rhamstein AB germany, I had just left Belgium for stateside when it happened so that would make it late 85 -early 86 , the communist red cell took the credit but was supplied by the Libyans at the time.

thing that pissed a lot of us AF guys off ( since the dead and wounded were AF ) was that Spain nor France would not allow the armed FB-111s to cross their air space so they had to fly around to Gibraltar and go into the med to Libya that way.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

I thought they were Airmen! And I remember the airspace thing because Spain and France were buying oil from Libya and didn't want that to stop!

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent

LOl does that explain my attitude towards coneheads? (see if you get the joke and the movie) and because of the flight detour we lost a 111.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Damn. I remember the movie, but never saw it, so I am lost on that one.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent

where did they claim to be from? FRANCE, not outerspace, hense calling Frenchmen  coneheads and being a dick to them sometimes just to be a dick.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Spain and France were buying oil from Libya

It's a bit more complicated than that... 

Libya and its southern neighbor Chad had been fighting an on-again-off-again war since 1978 , with significant French forces being engaged whenever it looked like Gaddafi might actually win. This part of Africa is entirely former French colonies, and was a kinda sorta post-colonial responsibility. French troops are still in the region today, and fought a neat little war in Mali a couple years ago...

So François Mitterand saw Ronald Reagan as a meddling fool, a bull in the china shop. When Reagan sent in the USAF, France already had 1200 troops on the ground, and 80 Jaguars regularly engaged . Mitterand did not appreciate Reagan's amateurish blundering.

There's a big difference between the way the Brits handled their former colonies -- good-bye and good luck, with lots of ethnic massacres resulting -- and the French policy known as françafrique . France does not interfere unless and until too many people are getting killed. Then the Légion does its thing...

96WS6
Junior Quiet
link   96WS6  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Do you know why nothing was done last time, XX?

Check with the republican congress.

No sorry.  It was because BO didn't have the spine to back up his threat.    This was a piss poor move (he should have never made the threat) that made US look weak.  Don't get me wrong I think we were right to refrain from attack but once you back off your threat you lose credibility on the world stage.  Hence it was stupid to make it in the first place.    He never asked for approval for turning Libya into an ISIS training ground or for any other air strikes on his watch so saying "ask congress why nothing happened last time"  is total bullshit on this one I'm afraid.....and quite sad to say as well. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

We warned the Russians there before we fired so they could get out of the way and there is no way that they did not tell their Syrian comrades to scramble their jets and the ground personnel to run too. So we wasted 59 Tomahawk Cruise  Missiles, at a half million dollars a each, just to blow up some empty buildings. If the Syrians say we killed any of their people they are lying. As far as impressing anyone in the region this was nothing more then a popcorn fart.

Still, I'm sure it's going to be a hell of a ratings booster for the Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin Show and nothing else. Trump might crack 40% again. Well, at least our Sailors got some live fire target practice, even if it didn't mean a god-damned thing.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    7 years ago

yria

Don't you even glance at the stuff you post? You don't notice an mistake in the first letter of the first word?

You really don't give a sh!t, do you?

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

Bob....Cut and paste production, as usual! Can we expect anything less?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  deepwaterdon   7 years ago

I don't understand how a person can be both up-tight vehement and laid-back don't-give-a-sh!t. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

You care enough to derail everyone of my seeds by some non issue or another.  Nothing new there. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

Not exactly. I certainly don't care about the content of most of your seeds, except in the measure that they may mislead readers...

As a long-suffering member of NT -- Mac may be longer-standing, but I don't think there's any other candidate -- I am attached to the site. If a member is going to flood the FP ("Newest Discussions"), then I would like to see that member taking a minimum of care to present their seeds properly. It's a question of pride.

When you vacuum up a web page, without regard to what you copy, and then you paste without even re-reading... it's ugly. Inaesthetic.

And most importantly, it is disrespectful of the other members. You post a ton of stuff that you do not even read.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

At least this one isn't filled with ads for erection pills, like most of his seeds.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

There's that...    close call

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

A total misrepresentation of reality.  I read all my articles before i seed them.  That you derail and disrupt over a paste of an article missing the first letter of the first word, since repaired, exposes you for the troll that you are.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

IMO the article contains a lot of wishful thinking on the part of the author.

This ''strike'' will not stop any of the wish list in the article.

Putin has stated that he has stopped air coordination/cooperation over Syria...That opens up a whole new world of danger.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

''Obama didn't need congressional approval to launch punitive strikes. It's just an excuse to justify his inaction. ''

That isn't what the republicans said at the time, Sean.

Yes, Trump did it without congressional approval. Let' see what congress has to say about that. Perhaps a double standard.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
link   96WS6  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

No it is a bad standard set by  Bush and his evil twin BO.   No double standard.  They have changed the frigging rules illegally and this is how it is now

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Whatever you believe Republicans said, it should be obvious to a constitutional scholar like Obama that the President has the authority to engage in operations like last night.  He did in Libya. 

If fear of Republican criticism kept him from doing something he thought was the right thing to do, he should have resigned. 

Obama owns his own inaction. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Kav the war powers act of 73 has always been hotly contested whenever it has been invoked , even though congress passed it and Nixon signed it congress still thinks it usurps their constitutional powers even if it is followed the way they wrote it .and they are STILL trying to change it so it works for them.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Mark in Wyoming   7 years ago

I stand corrected , NIXON did not sign the WPA of 73 , he VETOED it and congress overrode the veto.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
link   96WS6    7 years ago

I still don't think it was Assad it doesn't add up.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    7 years ago

Here's a little more info, from Defense One Today (not some Moonbat Rumor Mill):

U.S. Hits Syrian Airbase with Scores of Cruise Missiles

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

I don't see any difference from what we knew previously.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

Except, as you've said (wrongly) elsewhere, Bob, the base wasn't empty, based on the Defense One Today story linked above.  You'll have to venture out of your echo chamber to understand.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

From YOUR link:

The Russian military was notified of the U.S. strike in advance through the same hotline the two counties use to notify each when carrying out strikes against ISIS in Syria.

But then... maybe the Russians didn't warn the Syrians... laughing dude  

As for damage results... I kinda sorta doubt that anyone has had time to analyze recon photos... The raid cost us something north of $100 million . I doubt (to say the least) that it did that much damage.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

Moonbat

I know it's off topic and I have asked this before (though it has been years) but what the fuck is a "Moonbat?" I mean I could see if someone wanted to call liberals by some sort of nasty name like idiots or jackasses or whatever (neither of which are true), but a "Moonbat?" What moron came up with a stupid kindergartner name insult like that? Rush? Bill? Alex? Bannon?

Or is it an insult? It's not like there is or ever has been a creature called a "Moonbat" and for all we know if such a creature ever did exist at sometime in the past or if we discover one on a distant planet, they just might have been/are a fantastic, wonderful, loving, generous and intelligent being that every human wants to be just like. So when someone on the right wing calls a liberal a "Moonbat", how in the fuck do they know they are even insulting them? They may be paying them a huge compliment!

I know that I have a very hard time being insulted when someone calls me a "Moonbat" since neither they nor I have ever seen one or know what one is or if one even exists, so they can not know themselves if they are insulting me or complimenting me. So I just figure they are ignorant.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

I don't know where "moonbat" came from. It's the leftish equivalent of "wingnut" on the right. Kinda crazy/dogmatic.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    7 years ago

What's strange is Susan rice was bragging on NPR a few months ago how obama removed all the checmical weapons from Syria without violence,

Its almost Iike Susan rice has zero credibility.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sean Treacy   7 years ago

Almost? 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

The agreement was that Russia would be responsible for ensuring that the chemical weapons were removed (which is what Nikki Haley was blaming them for failing to do today at the UN, unless you want to call her a liar too?) and what the Obama administration announced was that it had reached the deal with Russia to have this done. No one from his administration ever "bragged" that they were responsible for removing the weapons in any manner or made any such claim. Any such statement that they did is a lie.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent

randy the problem I see is they didn't put the Reagan proviso of trust but verify in the agreement , Syria might not have allowed our inspectors in , but that didn't mean we couldn't have got the Russians to let us see what was shipped to them once it came into their possession on their soil, we both verify what each has gotten rid of in our agreements both in this country and in Russia be it nuke chem or biological with our stockpiles.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

I can agree with that. We could have made seeing what was coming out and watching it being destroyed as part of the agreement, but I don't believe we really knew how much they had in the first place. Also I strongly believe Assad has the capability of making more, probably with Iran's help. They certainty have stockpiles. It was a faulty agreements in many ways because there really was no 100% certain way to verify it was being followed.

My problem with the above comments was that no one from the Obama administration said in any way that they (the Obama administration) had rid Syria of chemical weapons and certainly never bragged about it. They simply announced the agreement with Russia. The characterization that the two posters above use is completely false and the statements they use are lies.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming     7 years ago

good point  we didn't and if scuttlebutt after the first Iraq war was true , remember part of the cease fire agreement in 91 was saddam had to have no chem or bio weapons , scuttle but was it was buried in the iraqi desert , OR was shipped to Syria , and that happened during BOTH the 91 and the 04 excursions , so if true no telling how much either really had.