╌>

NYT Tiptoes Around Feelings Of People Who Mutilate Little Girls Read more:

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  barney-frank  •  7 years ago  •  3 comments

NYT Tiptoes Around Feelings Of People Who Mutilate Little Girls  Read more:

RTX7RYCe1490890801390.jpg

Worried the term “female genital mutilation” might sharpen the divide between those who oppose brutally cutting away a little girl’s genitalia to deprive her of sexual pleasure and those who practice the “rite,” one New York Times editor instead refers to the ritual as “genital cutting.”

“There’s a gulf between the Western (and some African) advocates who campaign against the practice and the people who follow the rite, and I felt the language used widened that chasm,” NYT science and health editor Celia Dugger  explained  Friday. She also said the widely used term (FGM) is “culturally loaded” in the explanation, which came as a result of inquiries from The Daily Caller News Foundation regarding a reporter’s decision to use the term “cutting” in a recent story about a doctor in Michigan.

The doctor  was allegedly caught mutilating innocent little girls  as young as six and charged with a felony. Performed in American culture and subject to American laws, female genital mutilation  carries a sentence of up to five years .

Dugger said she made the decision to ditch “mutilation” for “cutting” after traveling to sub-Saharan Africa for an immigration story in 1996. While she says she never “minced words in describing exactly what form of cutting was involved” and the “terrible damage” it inflicted on young girls, Dugger apparently wanted to soften the instinctive horror by many who oppose the brutal practice by using “cutting” instead.

Read more:   http://dailycaller.com/2017/04/23/nyt-tiptoes-around-feelings-of-people-who-mutilate-little-girls/#ixzz4f8UNVutI

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    7 years ago

The NYT is the biggest propaganda machine in this country.  For years, even I believed what they wrote and found it very disheartening after many years of believing them to finally see them for who they are.  After I became enlightened and doing research on all the years gone by, I had no other option than to accept they are really the New York Slimes.

The only problem is too many don't even see them for who they are today.  Even I receive marketing emails from them nearly everyday trying to get me to sign on.  They have a big audience and have been a thorn in this country for many years, many years.