╌>

These teens got rid of a homophobic politician in just three hours

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  7 years ago  •  3 comments

These teens got rid of a homophobic politician in just three hours

toby-ester-andrew-turner_640x345_acf_cropped.jpg

The now former politician, who sat as an MP in the British House of Commons for the Isle of Wight seat, Andrew Turner, resigned after a politics student posted about an exchange with the legislator.

The student, Ester Poucher, posted on Facebook that Turner  had made homophobic comments.  The politician reportedly said being gay was “dangerous to society”, and that he was anti-gay because of religious reasons.

A-Level politics student Poucher, 16, wrote on Facebook: “He told us that he’d been invited (to the local Pride event), but wasn’t intending to go. This is because (and this is a direct quote) he thinks that homosexuality is ‘wrong’ and ‘dangerous to society’. 

Another student, Toby Sheard, exclusively told PinkNews that he was left “scared” following the derogatory comments.

The 17-year-old said: “Once the meeting was over it hit me what he had said, I was a danger, it was wrong to treat me as normal. This form of attitude shouldn’t be allowed in our society, especially in our government.

“Later in the meeting, I tried to push him for why he held this belief, he dodged the question three times until admitting it was for a religious reason. The fact that we have MPs with these views in our governing party scares me that we could easily see ourselves going back into the past.”

(Link)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

“Yes, we all believe different things, and that’s wonderful. But when that belief treats a group as sub-human, and attempts to take away their fundamental rights, we can’t respect it.

“I’m done with people not standing up and f*cking shouting about what’s right and not campaigning for justice. To those over 18 – please do the right thing, and vote in a government that works for a society of diversity and acceptance. Don’t be complacent.”

The politician, who had held the seat for 16 years, suddenly resigned, saying in a statement that it was “time for a new generation to take up the mantle of representing my fantastic constituents.”

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Great job!

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

I wish we had more successes like this in America. It seems as if the Homophobics are regaining power under Trump, which is actually rather surprising. This is one of many subjects that he has sold out completely on to get the evangelical vote. I mean he is obviously lying his ass off to them, but if they are so stupid as to believe him then it's more power for the con man carnival barker. I just can't believe how stupid and easily fooled they are and I'll bet he can't either. He is laughing his ass off about them behind their backs and the morons don't know it. Dumb-asses