╌>

Bernie Sanders and his wife have retained counsel in probe of failed Burlington College: Report

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  dean-moriarty  •  7 years ago  •  4 comments

Bernie Sanders and his wife have retained counsel in probe of failed Burlington College: Report

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/24/bernie-sanders-and-his-wife-reportedly-lawyer-up-amid-fbi-probe.html

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT)

Getty Images

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT)

Sen. Bernie Sanders and his wife, Jane Sanders, have reportedly hired lawyers amid a federal investigation into allegations of fraud connected to a bankrupt college where Jane Sanders was once president, according to a report.

This week, Politico Magazine said the couple have obtained legal counsel amidst a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) investigation into whether Jane Sanders  fraudulently obtained a bank loan  for the now defunct Burlington College in Vermont. Additionally, investigators are probing whether the Vermont senator's office pressured the bank to approve the loan, Politico Magazine added.

While the Sanders' have largely tried to downplay the investigation, the pair has now lawyered up, Politico reported, retaining well-connected Burlington attorney, Rich Cassidy. Also part of the legal team is Larry Robbins, a noted Washington-based defense attorney who represented I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, the publication stated.

Jane Sanders, wife of Vermont Senator and 2016 Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders.

T.J. Kirkpatrick | Bloomberg | Getty Images

Jane Sanders, wife of Vermont Senator and 2016 Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders.

The  story of Burlington College  has been fodder for more than a year, chronicled primarily by local Vermont publication VTDigger. During the hotly-contested 2016 Democratic primary, it emerged that the FBI was looking into the possibility that Jane Sanders falsely inflated projected Burlington's donor contributions that would be dedicated to a massive capital expansion.

After securing a $10 million loan, the tiny liberal arts college was forced to shutter its doors in May 2016, citing a "crushing" debt load.

Representatives for  Sen. Sanders  didn't immediately respond to CNBC's request for comment. In a previous interview, Sanders dismissed the allegations as politically motivated.

Click here to read the full article in Politico Magazine.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   seeder  Dean Moriarty    7 years ago

Feel the Bern. 

janesandersfbi01.jpg

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Bernie could probably make a request of his fan base to pay his legal fees like Bill and Hillary Clinton did and those useful idiots would probably be thrilled to play a part in his defense by sending in money.  People like Bernie remind me of the PTL Club.

By the way, I didn't write this song.  A fellow I played with wrote it.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    7 years ago

It sounds like she at minimum was incompetent, hostile and arrogant.   I think the Bernie connection is weak but her actions if illegal should be able to be proven.  Interesting article.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51    7 years ago

Interesting.  They took a 10 million dollar loan and then went bankrupt because servicing it would be crushing debt?  Something's not right there.