╌>

Meritocracy is a ‘tool of whiteness,’ claims math professor

Category:  Now Trending

Via:  it-is-me  •  6 years ago  •  1 comments

Meritocracy is a ‘tool of whiteness,’ claims math professor

Rubel, who taught high school math for nine years before becoming a professor, argues that while meritocracy is commonly linked to hard work and talent, it also “functions as a tool of whiteness” because it “ignores systemic barriers and institutional structures that prevent opportunity and success.”

Color-blindness , too, can be an issue for math teachers, according to Rubel, who asserts that “Teachers who claim color-blindness—that is, they claim to not notice the race of their students—are, in effect, refusing to acknowledge the impact of enduring racial stratification on students and their families.
By claiming not to notice, the teacher is saying that she is dismissing one of the most salient features of the child’s identity and that she does not account for it in her curricular planning and instruction,” Rubel adds, citing education theorist Gloria Ladson-Billings.

Even math teachers who acknowledge race , such as those who indicate that they “can’t relate” in certain ways to students who are of a different race, are called out in Rubel’s paper.
If math teachers notice racial differences between themselves and their students, Rubel elaborates, “those differences are typically cast in terms of deficit constructions about students, their places, and their families.”

To mediate this, Rubel recommends that math teachers incorporate more social justice issues into math lessons, but warns that even “teaching for social justice” can be a “tool of whiteness” if teachers are not sufficiently attuned to the experiences of minority students.
This is because even social justice-minded professors may inadvertently hold the “belief that effort is always rewarded, [which corresponds] to various tools of whiteness, like the myths of meritocracy and colorblindness,” Rubel writes.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10342

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1  seeder  It Is ME    6 years ago

I guess you shouldn't reward anyone for ANYTHING, or even give out participation trophies, as this is Racist too ?

No matter what a "Teacher" does....it just isn't going to work according to this professor ! patience

I guess a school teacher can only teach effectively, if they teach a class of "One". That way, the teacher can "BE" THE INDIVIDUAL STUDENT" ! thumbs up

That should get jobs growing even more. 3700 teachers needed at "such and such" school....TODAY ! Please Apply. close call