╌>

Trump pardons sailor in submarine photos case

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  96ws6  •  6 years ago  •  11 comments

Trump pardons sailor in submarine photos case

President Donald Trump has pardoned a Navy submariner sentenced to prison for taking photos inside the classified engine room of a nuclear submarine, the White House announced on Friday.

Petty Officer First Class Kristian Saucier pleaded guilty in May 2016 to two felony counts, one for unlawful retention of national defense information and another for obstruction of justice, for taking cellphone pictures inside the Navy vessel and later destroying his own equipment upon learning he was under investigation.

“The president has pardoned Kristian Saucier, a Navy submariner,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders announced at a briefing with reporters. The Justice Department later confirmed the move.

Sanders added that “the president is appreciative of Mr. Saucier's service to the country.”

The move marked just the second pardon Trump has granted since entering office, with the first extended in August to Joe Arpaio, the former Arizona sheriff who was convicted of criminal contempt of court in a case involving his tactics targeting undocumented immigrants.

Saucier was sentenced to 12 months in prison for mishandling classified information. Critics have cited the episode to allege a double standard in how low- and high-ranking U.S. officials handle sensitive material.

“Crooked Hillary Clinton’s top aid, Huma Abedin, has been accused of disregarding basic security protocols. She put Classified Passwords into the hands of foreign agents,” Trump tweeted in January. “Remember sailors pictures on submarine? Jail!”

Prosecutors had sought a much steeper sentence for the former Navy machinist, calling for him to face six years in prison, but the judge gave a more lenient sentence, a point the White House highlighted in announcing his pardon.

“The sentencing judge found that Mr. Saucier’s offense stands in contrast to his commendable military service,” Sanders noted.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/09/donald-trump-kristian-saucier-pardon-450484

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

96WS6
Junior Quiet
1  seeder  96WS6    6 years ago

laughing dude

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.2  sixpick  replied to  96WS6 @1    6 years ago

Three things will happen. First the news will make it out to be something bad and the Left will criticize him for giving him a pardon.

Second, people who are on the fence with Trump will see he is a fair man and want to be on the side of real justice and maybe realize this man isn't what the MSM makes him out to be.

Third, that will really piss the Liberals off for people to actually begin to like what Trump has done.  Their hatred is consuming them.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  sixpick  replied to  sixpick @1.2    6 years ago

Oh yes, there's one thing that won't happen.  I'd be surprise if any of them will be able to bring themselves to come on this article and say they are happy for the young man who took photos of the unclassifed  propulsion system.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
1.2.2  seeder  96WS6  replied to  sixpick @1.2.1    6 years ago

I'm happy for him!

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.2.3  sixpick  replied to  96WS6 @1.2.2    6 years ago

Me too.  It's ironic that out of the 8 judges on the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut where Petty Officer Fist Class Kristian Saucier pleaded guilty, 4 of the judges were appointed by Clinton and 3 of them were appointed by Obama.  And 1 of them was appointed by Bush.

Also he was sentenced by a federal court, not a military court.  Others had done the same thing and were able to continue there military service having been brought before a military court for his crime for taking photos as he did.  Although it was classified, it was the lowest classification of 'confidential'.

Anyway I'm glad Trump gave him a Presidential Pardon and this should allow him to go back in the service with time and grade, I would think.  He was about to lose his house working as a garbage collector making half what he was making in the Navy.

And as I said you won't find anything on CNN about this.  It's not always what you present to the people, it's very much what isn't presented to the people by the Fake News.  You don't see any of the Liberals on this article, do you?  As much as they profess to be loving and caring, I think they always show us who they really are every day of the week.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3  Jeremy Retired in NC    6 years ago

Good for Petty Officer Fist Class Saucier.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    6 years ago

He pleaded guilty.  He should not have been pardoned.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
4.2  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    6 years ago

So he should only get pardoned if he lied about it?   Is that how Hillary got away with sharing classified info?