╌>

Trump deserves credit for North-South Korea summit, experts say

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sixpick  •  6 years ago  •  20 comments

Trump deserves credit for North-South Korea summit, experts say

President Trump is hailing an agreement between North and South Korean leaders in their historic summit, tweeting : "KOREAN WAR TO END! The United States, and all of its GREAT people, should be very proud of what is now taking place in Korea!" On Friday, South Korean President Moon Jae-in and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un pledged to work toward denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula and declaring a formal end to the Korean War by the end of the year.

National security experts, and even the South Korean foreign minister , are crediting Mr. Trump for bringing North Korea to the table.

"I think the president deserves credit for getting us this far. No president has put as much pressure on North Korea as Donald Trump has, and that's a good thing," CBS News senior national security contributor Michael Morell said Friday on "CBS This Morning." Morell spent more than three decades at the CIA, becoming the deputy and acting director. But he said the outcome of the Kim-Moon summit was "not surprising."

CBS News military and homeland security analyst Sandy Winnefeld, a retired Navy admiral and former vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said on "CBS This Morning" Mr. Trump gets "some credit."

"He's put unprecedented pressure on North Korea, both militarily and economically," Winnefeld said. "By the same token, North Korea feels they put unprecedented pressure on us by achieving the nuclear weapons capability. But I would give the president good credit for placing that pressure on the North."

Both experts agree there's a long way to go, and "the real work has yet to come," Morell said. As the Kim-Moon summit sets the stage for an expected meeting between Mr. Trump and Kim, Winnefeld said both the U.S. and North Korea "feel that they're there in a position of strength." But the countries are coming with different expectations, according to Morell, and misreading each other.

"North Korea's expectation is, 'We are now a nuclear-weapon state. Treat us like one. We're willing to negotiate limits to our program to get rid of the sanctions.' [The U.S. is] coming at it from the perspective of, we have strangled you with sanctions, now give up your program, and then we'll be willing to get rid of [the sanctions]," Morell said.

He also said Kim Jong Un cannot be trusted.

"The Kim regimes, so three of them now, have shown over and over again a willingness to make an agreement, and then either break that agreement or cheat on that agreement. So whatever we agree to, there's got to be a very tough verification regime," Morell said.

Winnefeld said even if there is a peace agreement on the Korean Peninsula, U.S. troops will likely stay in the region for "quite some time."

"We will probably remain on the peninsula just to be a buttress for South Korea to build their confidence that this is not a mirage, just as we have troops in Europe," Winnefeld said.

~Link~

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  sixpick    6 years ago

Kim Jong Un Sets Foot On South Korean Soil For The First Time

Making history at the inter-Korean border Friday, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un not only met South Korean Moon Jae-in face-to-face for the first time, but he also became the first North Korean leader to visit the South since the end of the Korean War.

In a surreal moment for Korea watchers, Kim stepped across the military demarcation line into South Korea and shook his southern counterpart’s hand — something that would have been almost unthinkable just a few months ago. At what appears to be Kim’s invitation, Moon stepped onto the North Korean side of the line, and then the two walked hand-in-hand onto South Korean soil.

Link

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  Tessylo    6 years ago

No he doesn't deserve credit for this.  

sixpick
Professor Quiet
2.1  seeder  sixpick  replied to  Tessylo @2    6 years ago

Trump 'Absolutely' Deserves Credit for North Korea-South Korea Peace Talks, says Australian PM

U.S. President Donald Trump "absolutely" deserves credit for bringing about historic talks between the leaders of North and South Korea, according to Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.

"I've given him that credit because Donald Trump has taken a very, very strong, hard line on the denuclearization issue and he has been able to bring in the support of the global community and, in particular, China," Mr Turnbull told reporters in Sydney on Saturday, as cited by Australian media.

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop also praised Trump, saying his aggressive stance had helped to shift the "status quo" with North Korea.

South Korea's Moon says Trump deserves 'big' credit for North Korea talks

• "I think President Trump deserves big credit for bringing about the inter-Korean talks," Moon Jae-in told reporters at his New Year's news conference.
  • Talks were held on Tuesday on the South Korean side of the demilitarized zone, which has divided the two Koreas since 1953.
  • Trump has also claimed that talks between the North and South likely would not have occurred without his tough rhetoric against Pyongyang.

"I think President Trump deserves big credit for bringing about the inter-Korean talks, I want to show my gratitude," Moon told reporters at his New Year's news conference. "It could be a resulting work of the U.S.-led sanctions and pressure."

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  sixpick @2.1    6 years ago

He absolutely does not deserve credit for this.  

96WS6
Junior Quiet
2.2  96WS6  replied to  Tessylo @2    6 years ago

Because you don't like him? 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tessylo @2    6 years ago

Actually, if he had been a progressive liberal Democrat, you would have been singing his praises to the heavens!

sixpick
Professor Quiet
3  seeder  sixpick    6 years ago

96WS6
Junior Quiet
3.1  96WS6  replied to  sixpick @3    6 years ago

The big difference is Trump said the US would take care of it while BO threatened to garner international backing.  No one took BO seriously, he spoke softly and carried a purple jelly dildo.

Pedro
Professor Participates
4  Pedro    6 years ago

I'm 50/50 on this one. Obviously, you send Pompeo in first because he's insane and terrifying. Then, Trump can step in looking somewhat reasonable and is actually able to treat it more like a business as a result.

That said, how many people believe North Korea would honor any agreement, signed or otherwise.

Ideally, everything is as it seems, but that is rarely the case.

So, Trump may deserve credit. We'll see how it shakes out in the long run. He definitely EXPECTS to take the credit though. That much is certain.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1  seeder  sixpick  replied to  Pedro @4    6 years ago

I agree, don't trust North Korea, but all the talking in the world from the previous Presidents didn't do anything except let the situation fester and grow worse starting with Bill Clinton doing the same thing Obama did with Iran.  We can only hope something positive comes from all of this, but still be skeptical.  We must never let our guard down with any of these villains.

Pedro
Professor Participates
4.1.1  Pedro  replied to  sixpick @4.1    6 years ago

Yep.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2  Tacos!  replied to  Pedro @4    6 years ago
how many people believe North Korea would honor any agreement, signed or otherwise

Fortunately, belief is not necessary. That's why you have inspectors and it's also why you keep your own military well prepared.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Pedro @4    6 years ago
how many people believe North Korea would honor any agreement, signed or otherwise.

Probably as many as believe that Iran will/is..............

96WS6
Junior Quiet
4.3.1  96WS6  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.3    6 years ago

I agree.  The difference will be NK will have to break their agreement to get nukes while the one BO fashioned guarantees them to Iran.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
4.4  96WS6  replied to  Pedro @4    6 years ago

Biggest news of the century and I found a few short articles most of which gave Trump little to no credit.  You will probably have to dig to find out how it ends up in the long run unless it falls on it's face.  Why is that?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.4.1  Tessylo  replied to  96WS6 @4.4    6 years ago

He deserves no credit whatsoever.  

sixpick
Professor Quiet
5  seeder  sixpick    6 years ago

South Korea's Moon says Trump deserves 'big' credit for North Korea talks

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  sixpick @5    6 years ago

Yes, Moon knows Trump likes fluffers stroking his ego.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  seeder  sixpick  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.1    6 years ago

I guess we'll see what comes of it, but with a number of world leaders giving Trump credit and I know he isn't the only one, but he is the one who got the ball rolling with his rhetoric that scared the Democrat minions to death because the Democrat leaders and the MSM branch of the Democrat Party didn't want it to be this way.  They knew it would show them up for who they are and have been and it isn't leaders, only appeasers.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  sixpick @5.1.1    6 years ago

I bow to you applause applause thumbs up