╌>

Disney Princess Movies Are Destroying Your Children

Category:  Now Trending

Via:  it-is-me  •  6 years ago  •  6 comments

Disney Princess Movies Are Destroying Your Children
Kristen Bell, star of "Frozen" and TV’s "The Good Place," recently told an interviewer that she's not “100 percent comfortable” with the Disney princess tales, and believes the movie "Snow White" conveys a bad message about “strangers and consent” to kids.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Being something of a self-styled Disney princess film expert myself, I was intrigued.

"Every time we close 'Snow White' I look at my girls and ask, 'Don't you think it's weird that Snow White didn't ask the old witch why she needed to eat the apple? Or where she got that apple?' I say, 'I would never take food from a stranger, would you?' And my kids are like, 'No!' And I'm like, 'Okay, I'm doing something right.'"

I do think it’s weird. And I get it.

My kids loved "Snow White," as well. After watching it, I would look at them and ask, "Don't you think it's weird that the prince brings Snow White back to life? You don’t think it’s okay to let some wealthy, handsome sovereign give you an unconsented kiss simply because you’re lying in a coma in glass coffin in the middle of the woods surrounded by crying dwarves and anthropomorphized forest animals, do you?” Probably because of my inadequate parenting skills, or maybe it was just the power of the movie’s message, the response was, “Don’t be silly, daddy, it’s a magic kiss.”

So you have to stay on your toes, because Disney movies are a minefield of atrocious life lessons about magic that can lead your unsuspecting children astray. "You don’t, a young woman should never live with seven unmarried, older diamond merchants who use obviously fake first names—and whose house you’ve broken into to take a nap and cleaned for some reason, do you? And why is it that women are always the ones doing the cleaning?" I once asked them. And my kids were like, “I don’t know." And I'm like, "Okay, I'm doing something right.'”

The fact is, as I look back, I think I’ve failed my kids on the Disney front. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still a fan of "Brave’s" Princess Merida—a young teen who proficiently wields her deadly weapon in defense of her Bear family—and "The Princess and the Frog’s" Tiana—a young woman whose success is reliant on her hard work, capitalistic opportunity and a talking Cajun firefly. And, certainly, we all cheered as Mulan helped slaughter the Hun. There are plenty of good lessons to be found in these films.

But I should have been more diligent about their viewing habits. I mean, are my teenage daughters now going jump on some wisecracking petty criminal’s magic carpet after knowing him for mere hours? Will one of them run away with a tramp just because he buys her a nice Italian meal? Did you know Pongo and Perdita had something like 100 kids on a brittle planet that can hardly sustain any of us?

Parents, be vigilant.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1  seeder  It Is ME    6 years ago

And what is it with this "Snow White " crap anyway ?

Hasn't Disney ever heard of "Black Snow" ? jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  seeder  It Is ME    6 years ago

Just give your kid a "Trojan" or an "IUD", and "Snow White" is out of sight, out of mind !

Problem solved. jrSmiley_76_smiley_image.gif

cms5
Freshman Quiet
3  cms5    6 years ago

Parents, be vigilant. Huh?

When did fairy-tale cartoon movies become life lessons? A female cartoon slaughtering a beast is a good life lesson?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  cms5 @3    6 years ago
When did fairy-tale cartoon movies become life lessons ?

Gotta ask Hollywood types and the #METOO movement. Everything is a bad thing right now. jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

cms5
Freshman Quiet
3.1.1  cms5  replied to  It Is ME @3.1    6 years ago

There are moral lessons in these movies...of course, that would require the ability to see the bigger picture.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.2  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  cms5 @3.1.1    6 years ago
that would require the ability to see the bigger picture.

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

To bad "Drive-Ins" went out of style. Now that was a BIG Picture. jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif