╌>

https://www.foxnews.com/us/massive-police-response-after-reports-of-shooting-at-california-nightclub

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  cjfrommn  •  6 years ago  •  16 comments

https://www.foxnews.com/us/massive-police-response-after-reports-of-shooting-at-california-nightclub

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A former Marine -- armed with a Glock .45-caliber handgun with an illegal extended magazine -- opened fire on a packed California country music bar Wednesday night, killing 12 people, including a veteran sheriff's sergeant nearing retirement, officials said.

Authorities believe Ian David Long eventually turned the gun on himself, but not before the 28-year-old, dressed in all black, terrorized a crowd filled with college students at Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks, Calif. His body was found in an office adjacent to the entrance of the bar.

Sheriff Geoff Dean, who is set to retire on Friday, said Long may have suffered from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and was known to law enforcement officials due to several unspecified contacts stretching back multiple years.

“We’ve had several contacts with Mr. Long over the years, minor events such as a traffic collision. He was a victim of a battery in a bar in 2015,” Dean said, adding that the bar wasn't the same establishment he had opened fire Wednesday night.

Dean said the last interaction between Long and authorities occurred in April, when police officers were called to Long's house after reports of a disturbance. When they arrived, officers found Long "irate and acting irrationally," leading to a crisis intervention team being summoned. The team, however, cleared Long and said they didn't feel he was qualified to be taken into custody.

“Obviously he had something going on in his head that would cause him to do something like this. Obviously he had some sort of issue,” Dean said of Long. "...We have no idea what the motive [of Wednesday's shooting] was at this point."

Long opened fire inside Borderline about 11:20 p.m., during the bar's "college country night" event, authorities said. Dean said it appears Long shot the unarmed security guard first, turned to the right to shoot other security and staff members before opening fire on the rest of the patrons. No one at the venue was armed with a gun.

About 150 to 200 people, including students from California Lutheran University, private Christian school   Pepperdine University   and California State University Channel Islands, were inside Borderline when witnesses said Long tossed a smoke device into the crowd and then, amid the confusion, fired at least 30 shots.

Deputies and highway patrolmen arrived at the bar within minutes of receiving multiple 911 calls and began assessing the grim, gruesome situation, Sheriff Geoff Dean said during an earlier Thursday news conference.

“It is a horrific scene in there. There is blood everywhere,” Dean said. He later described it as "hell."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
1  seeder  cjfrommn    6 years ago

sad day for all. After reading about his previous contacts and the crisis team not taking him based on the call. I guess i would have preferred this killer complain about being evaluated vs him not being taken into custody to determine if this type of action was already in his mind. 

And i wonder if they will share which bar this killer was a victim at? if it was this bar then thats really too bad he retaliated this way.

sad day for all. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    6 years ago

"armed with a Glock .45-caliber handgun with an "illegal extended magazine""

Just proves.....once again.....the "Bad" guy doesn't follow the rules/laws. Only Good folks follow the rules/laws.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  It Is ME @2    6 years ago

I wonder if this will motivate Californians to pass sensible gun laws?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    6 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    6 years ago

It's very sad. I live only a few miles from this place. We were talking about going there just a couple days ago and hadn't gotten around to it. 

It's also a shame if this guy had mental health issues and wasn't seeking treatment for it. Guys like him have been the bulk of my clients and I know there is a lot of support and help available. I'm not saying that's why he did this - we may never know - but it wouldn't surprise me.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
6  lady in black    6 years ago

So sad :(