╌>

NICU nurses donate Mega Millions winnings to colleagues in need

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  spikegary  •  6 years ago  •  3 comments

NICU nurses donate Mega Millions winnings to colleagues in need
“When it comes to incredible nurses, we hit the jackpot!”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A selfless group of NICU nurses in Missouri whose office pool struck it lucky in the Mega Millions decided to club their winnings together and use it for the greater good.

Although the big winner was in South Carolina, the Show-Me State had five $10,000 winning tickets, one of them purchased by the group of 126 nurses at Mercy Children’s Hospital St. Louis.

“We never thought in a million years we would win anything at all and then we came one number away from winning $1.6 billion,” NICU nurse Stephanie Brinkman told KMOV4. “The majority said, 'let's give it to our co-workers, our family, the ones that are in biggest need' so that's what we decided to do.”

The alternative would’ve been splitting up $7,200, the amount after taxes, among 126 nurses, but instead of each getting $56 they decided to join together to make a bigger impact.

“When it comes to incredible nurses, we hit the jackpot!” Mercy tweeted out announcing the decision to gift the winnings to two recipients dealing with heartbreaking situations: Nurse Gretchen Post and neonatologist Casey Orellana.

On the night the Mega Millions winner was announced, Post’s 17-year-old son Jack tragically committed suicide.

“It's actually going to pay for Jack's funeral which I'm very grateful for,” Post said.

And for their other colleague, Orellana’s husband Phil was recently diagnosed with sarcoma cancer, forcing Casey to cut her hours in half at Mercy to help care for him and their two kids.

“When I got that phone call [about the lottery winnings], it was a day I was wondering how we were going to pay for certain medications and it just touches your heart,” she said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1  seeder  Spikegary    6 years ago

A nice gesture by these wonderful ladies.  Our country could use a whole lot more of these kinds of things.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    6 years ago

Very cool!

Bravo Zulu ladies ...... Bravo Zulu!

lib50
Professor Silent
3  lib50    6 years ago

What a nice gesture, but a real shame that this is what happens in this country.  How many 'Go Fund Mes' and lottery winnings can a person expect to benefit from to pay for necessary medical treatment.