╌>

Obama officials concede role in slow $20 Harriet Tubman bill rollout: report

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  bugsy  •  5 years ago  •  8 comments

Obama officials concede role in slow $20 Harriet Tubman bill rollout: report

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

After Democrat lawmakers and commentators spent months hammering the Trump administration for supposedly delaying the release of a $20 bill featuring abolitionist Harriet Tubman , several officials appointed by President Barack Obama have reportedly admitted that Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin has followed the Obama timeline for producing the new currency.

The Obama administration said 2016 that it wanted to remove Andrew Jackson from the $20 bill and replace him with Tubman,  who helped free slaves through the Underground Railroad, and that the bills would be ready in 2020. But a current "high-ranking government official" appointed by Obama, as well as a former official, confirmed to The Washington Post that the Tubman bill had "had "always been scheduled for release toward the end of the next decade."

Obama Treasury Secretary Jack Lew's 2016 claims that a "final concept design" of the bill would be released in 2020 were viewed with skepticism internally, according to the report. Larry R. Felix, the director of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing from 2006 to 2015, told The Post that too much security work needed to be done to realistically release the bill in 2020.

“Those announcements were not grounded in reality," Felix said. "The U.S. had not at the time acquired the security features to redesign and protect the notes."

AP19165812117212.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

This 1860-75 photo made available by the Library of Congress shows Harriet Tubman. (Harvey B. Lindsley/Library of Congress via AP)

Mnuchin has cited those security issues in testimony before Congress, saying the bill would likely not be ready until 2028.

Progressive commentators and lawmakers rejected that explanation.

"The white supremacists running this country are not about to put Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill to have y'all contemplating racism and resistance every time y'all go to the ATM," artist Bree Newsome Bass wrote on Twitter.

Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., claimed the episode sent an “unmistakable message to women and girls, and communities of color.”

In a letter demanding an investigation, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., called any unnecessary delay tin honoring Tubman on the $20 note "improper and unacceptable."

Charlotte Clymer, a communications representative for the Human Rights Campaign, said in a now-deleted tweet that the Trump administration was lying to "pander" to white supremacists.

"Make no mistake: the decision to cancel the unveiling of Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill is purely to pander to white supremacy. Period. Being 'delayed until 2028' is a goddamn lie. This is an attempt to make fragile white people comfortable."

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., slammed the Tubman delay as an “insult to the hopes of millions."

And CNN  anchor Don Lemon  implied in June that Trump halted plans for placing Tubman on the $20 bill because of his admiration for "slaveowner"  President  Andrew Jackson, the current face on the currency.

On his "CNN Tonight" telecast, Lemon played a video clip of then-candidate Trump saying that he'd "love" to leave Jackson on the $20 bill and suggesting that Tubman could instead go on the $2 bill, calling the Obama-era Tubman plan "pure political correctness."

"So Harriet Tubman, the American hero who risked her life to free slaves, should get the $2 bill that hasn't been printed in years, and Andrew Jackson, the owner of slaves who is known for the policies that led to the deaths of countless of Native Americans, should stay on the 20?" Lemon asked.

He concluded that Mnuchin had given a"misleading excuse" to Congress.

"What does it say about this administration that it went through all of this to avoid giving an African-American hero, a symbol of the fight against slavery, even a token acknowledgment?" Lemon asked.

The Post noted, however, that Mnuchin has not shown the same public "enthusiasm" as his predessecor for getting Tubman on the bill.

Fox News' Joseph Wulfson contributed to this report.

Gregg Re is a lawyer and editor based in Los Angeles. Follow him on Tw

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

bugsy
Professor Participates
1  seeder  bugsy    5 years ago

Uh oh....I wonder if any of the idiots that called Mnuchin and Trump racist because of a decision made by Obama officials will retract those statements? Not only that, but these same idiots need to direct the same tweets/statements to Obama and his administration.

Why do I feel that's not going to happen?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  Texan1211    5 years ago
Why do I feel that's not going to happen?

Because you have seen the ending already. It rarely changes.

Funny they got their panties all twisted up over the "delay" on this, which is really no big deal at all, but never seemed to mind the "delay" in moving our embassy to Jerusalem, even though Congress first approved it in 1995.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4  MrFrost    5 years ago

1) Fox news? Really? LOL

2) So it was Obama that completely stopped Trump from putting Tubman on the 20? I mean, trump has made reversing everything Obama has done his entire purpose for being in office, but he somehow couldn't put tubman on the 20? 

3) Trump has proven, once and for all that he is a racist, beyond any doubt at all. Gee, I wonder if that could have been a reason trump didn't want to put a Black woman on the 20? Naw, I am sure it had NOTHING to do with it... [eye roll]

Trump is feckless and incompetent if he couldn't get it done because of...."Obama". 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1  Ronin2  replied to  MrFrost @4    5 years ago
1) Fox news? Really? LOL

Yes, Fox news. So where is you proof to counter it outside of snarkiness?

2) So it was Obama that completely stopped Trump from putting Tubman on the 20? I mean, trump has made reversing everything Obama has done his entire purpose for being in office, but he somehow couldn't put tubman on the 20? 

Again, proof? Outside of sweeping generalizations that is.

3) Trump has proven, once and for all that he is a racist, beyond any doubt at all. Gee, I wonder if that could have been a reason trump didn't want to put a Black woman on the 20? Naw, I am sure it had NOTHING to do with it... [eye roll]

Still no proof; outside of another sweeping generalization. (Eye roll)

Trump is feckless and incompetent if he couldn't get it done because of...."Obama". 

Obama worship syndrome, coupled with TDDS. Amazing.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1    5 years ago
Yes, Fox news. So where is you proof to counter it outside of snarkiness?

Are you implying they don't lean pretty far to the right? And are not biased?

Again, proof? Outside of sweeping generalizations that is.

So you cannot answer the question? 

Still no proof; outside of another sweeping generalization. (Eye roll)

I am talking about one person, trump...so where is the sweeping generalization part? I am getting the impression you don't know what that means. TDDS? Hey, is that anything like ODDS that many on the right have been suffering for the last 11 years? So original.. LOL 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.2  Snuffy  replied to  MrFrost @4    5 years ago

The posted seed also states that the necessary security hasn't been put into the design of the bill and even back in the Obama administration it was stated that 2020 was too early and it would be in the last 2020's that this redesigned bill could be printed.

Obama Treasury Secretary Jack Lew's 2016 claims that a "final concept design" of the bill would be released in 2020 were viewed with skepticism internally, according to the report. Larry R. Felix, the director of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing from 2006 to 2015, told The Post that too much security work needed to be done to realistically release the bill in 2020. “Those announcements were not grounded in reality," Felix said. "The U.S. had not at the time acquired the security features to redesign and protect the notes."

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

Voted up!

Another false narrative shot down!