╌>

Man who drove semi into Minneapolis protest over death of George Floyd to be released from jail - Twin Cities

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kdmichigan  •  4 years ago  •  18 comments

By:   Twin Cities

Man who drove semi into Minneapolis protest over death of George Floyd to be released from jail - Twin Cities
Truck driver Bogdan Vechirko, who drove into a crowd of protesters Sunday on the Interstate 35W bridge in Minneapolis, will be released from jail. His case has been deferred, pending further invest…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Truck driver Bogdan Vechirko, who drove into a crowd of protesters Sunday on the Interstate 35W bridge in Minneapolis, will be released from jail.

His case has been deferred, pending further investigation, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced Tuesday.

Vechirko, 35 of Otsego, was arrested after driving his tanker into a crowd of people who had been protesting for justice for George Floyd, who died in police custody in Minneapolis last week. Vechirko was dragged from his truck by angry protesters and briefly taken to a hospital before being booked into the Hennepin County Jail. No protesters were seriously injured in the incident in the northbound lanes of I-35W at the Mississippi River near downtown.

"From what we can tell from our interviews … we don't have any information that makes this seem like an intentional act," Minnesota Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington said previously.

Protesters hand over to the police the driver of a tanker truck after he drove into hundreds of protesters marching on 35W north bound highway during a protest against the death in Minneapolis police custody of George Floyd, in Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S. May 31, 2020. REUTERS/Eric Miller TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY - RC210H9WFCSA

State officials said Vechirko had already been on the freeway system when it started being barricaded ahead of an evening shutdown to quell the civil unrest that had followed Floyd's death. Officials have said that they do not believe that Vechirko meant to intentionally injure protesters, though he was speeding at the time of the incident.

"He knew the protest was going on, but it doesn't appear that he was trying to intercept the protest," Harrington said.

Harrington said that Vechirko "panicked" when he saw the crowd and then slammed on the brakes when he saw a woman on a bicycle fall down in front of him, skidding until the tanker stopped.

According to the Hennepin County attorney's office, investigators are "in the process of gathering additional information to aid in the charging decision."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1  seeder  KDMichigan    4 years ago

I feel for this guy, there was more to it than the left wing media put out there. Just like the FEDEX driver who didn't stop. I always have a certain person who comes to mind....

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  KDMichigan @1    4 years ago

Sounds like poor guy was just trying to get away from the angry and violent mob.

They shouldn't have been on the highway to begin with.

Too bad the police and troopers weren't allowed to do their jobs by politicians. .

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
1.1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    4 years ago

Thing is most don't think of the effects of their actions , the rattle im hearing at the local truck stop is none of the drivers will slow down let alone stop for someone protesting on an interstate, and yes it should be illegal to do so.( matter of fact I think it is , most interstates I have driven prohibit pedestrians)

but my thoughts are not for the obvious reason of how dangerous it could be.  my reasoning is and its amplified by conditions that exist today , we have no idea what those trucks are hauling , could be needed fuel for the community , could be medical supplies , could be food going to your local stores 

disrupting highway traffic at the worst , could be costing someone their life down the road because of what they could be delivering . and to me , that make those protesters no better than the people they are protesting against in the first place.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
2  seeder  KDMichigan    4 years ago

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3  Vic Eldred    4 years ago

"Harrington said that Vechirko "panicked" when he saw the crowd and then slammed on the brakes when he saw a woman on a bicycle fall down in front of him, skidding until the tanker stopped.

"Vechirko was dragged from his truck by angry protesters and briefly taken to a hospital before being booked into the Hennepin County Jail. "

Were any of the protesters booked?

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
3.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    4 years ago

What do you think?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  KDMichigan @3.1    4 years ago

NOPE!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4  It Is ME    4 years ago

He was probably tired from being "Overworked". We still have this "Pandemic" crises going on ya know. "Truckers" are Constantly needed, Day and Night !

I really didn't see a "Crowd" that he plowed into. I saw a "Crowd"....but no "Plowing". Maybe I looked away when it happened ? Is there a hospital name that those he ran over are at, so I can send them a "Get Well" card ?

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  It Is ME @4    4 years ago

Have you seen the footage? they were clearing out of the way when he was coming, one person fell in front of him and he stopped, that's when they started vandalizing his truck, then he pulled away again and stopped. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1    4 years ago
they were clearing out of the way when he was coming, one person fell in front of him and he stopped, that's when they started vandalizing his truck

I knew I wasn't seeing things. Whew..... jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif

Didn't he have medical issues that needed tending though ?

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1.2  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.1    4 years ago
Didn't he have medical issues that needed tending though ?

Yes non life threatening.

original

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1.2    4 years ago

I'll send him a "Get Well Soon" card then. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

The reality is even worse than the story, though it won't get any attention because it doesn't fit the  narrative being pushed.

He was the only person who agreed to deliver gas to a minority community in riot destroyed South Minneapolis. The black owner of the  service station he was delivering stood up for him and  praised him  for trying to help others and almost being killed for it. Immediately after he was almost killed by the mob, the clown Majority  Leader Ryan Winkler  of the Minnesota literally just started lying on twitter and claiming his truck had white supremacy insignia  on it.  All complete BS but it fed the narrative and fueled the hate, so it served it's purpose. 

Ryan Winkler, of course, remains the House Majority leader in Minnesota and Democrats and the media could care less. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Sean Treacy @5    4 years ago

He is a real piece of shit isn't he, of course they are never held accountable for their race baiting lies.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  KDMichigan @5.1    4 years ago

Almost killing an innocent man and then slandering him isn't something that bothers democrats or the media much, if the victim can't be exploited for political gain. 

How many Democrats are talking about honoring David Dorn? Did his life matter?

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    4 years ago

I have no symphony or use for those who block roads or destroy property.  Truck drivers and motorists should not have to put up with such actions,