╌>

Trump ad in Minnesota touts 'jobs, not mobs' over image of steel plant that laid off most its workers

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  4 years ago  •  26 comments

By:   Peter Weber, The Week

Trump ad in Minnesota touts 'jobs, not mobs' over image of steel plant that laid off most its workers

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Politics

Peter Weber

06422c50-e164-11e9-bfbd-cdb74fdcbf3a September 4, 2020, 4:44 AM EDT

aaefaa233352634eb1751c562c4cbedb

The Trump campaign is   running an ad   in Minnesota that seeks to portray Democrat Joe Biden as in thrall to "lawless" protesters while arguing President Trump will "protect" the state and bring "jobs, not mobs." The "jobs" line is illustrated by a photo of Vice President Mike Pence visiting a steel mill in St. Paul in March 2019. A year later, the Brazilian company that owns the mill, Gerdau Ameristeel, told workers it would shift to finishing steel, not melting or rolling it, leading to 222 layoffs in the 300-strong workforce,   David Weigel reports at   The Washington Post.

Pence had visited the St. Paul steel mill to promote the U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade deal, which was signed in January 2020. "Gerdau is an example of how American steel is back," Pence said during his 2019 visit. "We are going to level the playing field, and Americans are going to win like never before." Dave Hallas, 41, immediately recognized the photo in the new ad, because he had been one of the mill workers at the event. "The tag line is jobs," Hallas wrote on Facebook. "My mill that has been operating for over 55 years is now closed and it was not COVID-related. Failed promises."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

"Pence had visited the St. Paul steel mill to promote the U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade deal, which was signed in January 2020. "Gerdau is an example of how American steel is back," Pence said during his 2019 visit. "We are going to level the playing field, and Americans are going to win like never before." Dave Hallas, 41, immediately recognized the photo in the new ad, because he had been one of the mill workers at the event. "The tag line is jobs," Hallas wrote on Facebook. "My mill that has been operating for over 55 years is now closed and it was not COVID-related. Failed promises."

Like everything else from trumpturd - LIES AND FAILED PROMISES

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
2  Nerm_L    4 years ago

Democrats are celebrating the closing of another steel mill, another factory, another business.  The Democrats will wag their fingers and tell people these jobs are gone and are never coming back.  There's no point in even trying to keep steel mills because they can't compete; wages are too high.  But aren't Democrats promising higher wages?

The Gerdau Ameristeel steel mill won't be supplying steel that's essential for manufacturing electric cars, mass transit, wind turbines, and solar panels.  And that's good for Democrats. 

Democrats will replace blue collar jobs with regulations, carbon taxes, and imports.  Democrats will force the United States to embrace free trade and the rich will become richer.  And Democrats will promise to replace paychecks with welfare checks.  Those jobs are gone and won't come back.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Nerm_L @2    4 years ago

Your usual trumpturd nonsense.  

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Tessylo @2.1    4 years ago
Your usual trumpturd nonsense.  

Well, that is one way to ignore how establishment politics has failed.  Head meet warm sand.

Do you think Joe Biden would have kept the Gerdau Ameristeel mill open?  Would Joe Biden have even tried?  In case you haven't noticed, we've been bleeding blue collar jobs in manufacturing for over four decades.  Joe Biden has held elected government positions for most of that time.  What does Joe Biden's political history tell us?

Trump tried, Trump failed.  That's a fact.  Will Joe Biden even try?  How can Joe Biden promise to build a bright future without blue collar workers manufacturing what the country needs to build that future?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Nerm_L @2.1.1    4 years ago

trumpturd didn't try shit.  trumpturd has done absolutely nothing for anyone much less the blue collars workers, for almost four years now.  

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Nerm_L  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.2    4 years ago
trumpturd didn't try shit.  trumpturd has done absolutely nothing for anyone much less the blue collars workers, for almost four years now.  

Okay, Trump didn't try shit.  And Trump hasn't done anything for anyone; most of all blue collar workers.  I'm not sure the labor statistics would support that claim but, nevertheless, let's accept the Democrat's claim as gospel truth. 

Does that mean Joe Biden will?  Will Joe Biden take steps to bring back manufacturing?  Will Joe Biden champion blue collar workers?  If Joe Biden won't do what Trump didn't do then what's the difference between the two?

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
2.1.4  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Nerm_L @2.1.1    4 years ago

Trump stopped Ford Motor Company from expanding operations in Mexico, which forced them to reopen the plant in Flatrock, MI. Just sayin. That Flatrock plant closed during the Obama administration... because FOMOCO could profit more from having ops in Mexico for the most popular 3 vehicles at the time. Trump put sky high tariffs on products crossing the borders; therefore, it was no longer profitable to have those ops in Mexico.  

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
2.1.5  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @2.1.4    4 years ago

GM opened more ops in Detroit in the past few years too.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.6  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Nerm_L @2.1.3    4 years ago

"Does that mean Joe Biden will?  Will Joe Biden take steps to bring back manufacturing?  Will Joe Biden champion blue collar workers?"

Of course he does/will.  

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Ender  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @2.1.4    4 years ago
Ford Motor Co. announced Tuesday it has scrubbed plans to build a new $1.6 billion assembly plant in Mexico, a project that had been spotlighted by then-candidate Donald Trump, especially after Ford said it would move small car production from the U.S. into that new factory.

But while the move is being hailed by some as a victory for the president-elect, a closer look at the announcement, made by senior Ford executives at a suburban Detroit assembly plant, did not actually reverse the central decision the automaker announced last April.

Small car production, such as the compact Focus model, will still move to Mexico, just into an existing Ford plant in Hermosillo.

And while Ford will use some of the savings from the planned Mexican plant to expand its factory in Flat Rock, Michigan, that project appears likely to have happened anyway. The maker’s new body shop and expanded assembly line will handle production of two new battery-based models that were not expected to be built in Mexico, anyway.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Ender  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @2.1.4    4 years ago

"Trump put sky high tariffs on products crossing the borders; therefore, it was no longer profitable to have those ops in Mexico."

WASHINGTON — President Trump backed off his plan to impose tariffs on all Mexican goods and announced via Twitter on Friday night that the United States had reached an agreement with Mexico to reduce the flow of migrants to the southwestern border.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
2.1.9  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Ender @2.1.7    4 years ago

And look at that.... they're phasing out the Focus. Hmmm. I wonder why?

Could it be the massive recalls on the trans? Partly. Could it be that they can't afford to keep producing that piece of crap and selling it back to American public? Partly. You're providing a news article and that's awesome. They never planned on reopening that Flatrock plant until AFTER Trump got in office. I know the auto world, I live the auto world, and before Trump threatened those tariffs, they planned on expanding ops in Mexico.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
2.1.10  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Ender @2.1.8    4 years ago

That part I didn't know about. Thanks for that. It was still threatened.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Ender  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @2.1.9    4 years ago

Except according to the Ford company they shifted what they were doing to save money and shifting demographics.

The shift was more that smaller sedans are not big sellers in the US so a shift to mostly trucks and SUVs. The smaller cars could be made in Mexico where the government there has a lot of free trade agreements and they can ship worldwide cheaper.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
2.1.12  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Ender @2.1.11    4 years ago

And now they're getting rid of all of their cars except the Mustang and that God awful electric Mustang concoction. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.13  Ender  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @2.1.12    4 years ago

I hate to say this because I use to love the Mustangs, but (Haha) the last Mustang I was in seemed like it was just all cheap plastic.

Haven't seen the electric one.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.14  arkpdx  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.2    4 years ago

So I guess for you the 1.4 million jobs created last month aren't anything. That we were near  full employment before covid don't count. That employment in for women, Blacks and Hispanics was at historic levels is nothing. Try and see reality for a change

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.15  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  arkpdx @2.1.14    4 years ago

What jobs created?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.16  Split Personality  replied to  arkpdx @2.1.14    4 years ago
So I guess for you the 1.4 million jobs created last month aren't anything.

For the entirety of the previous Administration, which was saddled with some pretty sobering unemployment numbers, you and others, here and there,  scoffed at every new jobs report for the entire time it took to get down to 4.7%,

( call it nowhere to go but up syndrome) well below the historic norm of 5.2% which was counted as "full employment".

That we were near  full employment before covid don't count.

Correct. The only thing that counts on election day is the current status of those employed/unemployed.

That employment in for women, Blacks and Hispanics was at historic levels is nothing.

Correct.  What are those numbers today?

Try and see reality for a change

Right back at you.  Reality is that the Administration in power is responsible for right now, right here,

just like every other Administration before it.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.17  arkpdx  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.15    4 years ago

You would have to ask the bureau of labor statistics that question. They are the ones that published those numbers

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.18  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @2.1.13    4 years ago

I didn't even know they made one.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.19  Ender  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.18    4 years ago

I didn't either.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

[deleted]

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
4  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    4 years ago

removed for context

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
4.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @4    4 years ago

Oh... and you can still comment on my articles. 

I have corrected that for the remainder of the original 30 days the block is equal in both directions, SP

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

[deleted]

[for the record you were blocked by a Mod for name calling of Ms Aubrey, not any request by Ms Aubrey,]

[which I have extended in both directions for the remainder of the original 30 days.]