╌>

Free Britney Spears

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  thrawn-31  •  3 years ago  •  10 comments

By:   Thrawn

Free Britney Spears
Britney Spears hasn’t been able to fully live her own life for 13 years, stuck in a court-sanctioned conservatorship.

Now I do not like her music, and the most I knew about her until a couple days ago was that she was hot as hell when I was in high school (still true TBH), she went crazy for a little bit, and now seems to be better. I have seen a headline or two about a "conservatorship" but that is about it. 

But my wife wanted to watch this NYT documentary deal and now I really have started to question how critical I am of people in the spotlight, and really ask myself if I would look any better. Looking back... it is ugly lol.

And of course, I have been thinking more about the concept of a "conservatorship". 

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Britney Spears hasn’t been able to fully live her own life for 13 years, stuck in a court-sanctioned conservatorship. A new documentary by The New York Times examines what the public might not know about the pop star’s court battle with her father for control of her estate.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

Well that picture is bullshit, thought I changed it. Either way, the point still stands. Regardless, what does everyone think about the idea of conservatorships?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2  seeder  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

No bites? Fuck, I tried.

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    3 years ago

I did not see the documentary but seems like she is being controlled for her money.  Who knows if she would use it wisely or end up broke if she was in charge

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  charger 383 @3    3 years ago

Isn't that her choice? I know she has children and they should be taken care of, but it is her money. She earned it

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1.1  seeder  Thrawn 31  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    3 years ago

And THAT is where the whole conservatorship deal gets REALLY sketchy. Her dad, who is the conservator, was never really a part of her life UNTIL she got rich and had her breakdown. All of a sudden he shows up, somehow gets made the sole conservator (which means het effectively had $60,000,000), and even though she is doing the shows in Vegas (which he makes almost 5 grand a show somehow), doing all the advertising and everything else, she is not competent enough to control her own money? Really?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1.1    3 years ago

Where was her mom during all of this? You'd think she would be looking out for her

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1.3  seeder  Thrawn 31  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.2    3 years ago

That was something we kept asking during the documentary, "where are the parents?" 

Both declined multiple requests for interviews so obviously they come out looking like shit, but it really does seem like they just kinda sent her off to the wolves. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1.3    3 years ago

They or at least the mother got her into entertainment and then just stepped back and let her flounder. Not a very good mother, IMO

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1.5  seeder  Thrawn 31  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.4    3 years ago

According to my wife, who pays a lot more attention to this shit than I do, her mother was out promoting her younger sister (she had a sister who tried to sing? I don't know). So there you go.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.2  seeder  Thrawn 31  replied to  charger 383 @3    3 years ago

Honestly, it is just sad when you really get down to it. Talk about being all alone, it really seems like she was in a "Mike Tyson" scenario, post Cus (yes I am coining that term) in that everyone around her just wanted to cash in on her talent, and no one was there to just really look out for HER. Keep in mind, she was only 15 when all this started.