╌>

Researchers find ultimate smoking gun in dinosaur extinction

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  flynavy1  •  3 years ago  •  50 comments

By:   Mike Wehner (MSN)

Researchers find ultimate smoking gun in dinosaur extinction
"If you're actually going to put a clock on extinction 66 million years ago, you could easily make an argument that it all happened within a couple of decades, which is basically how long it takes for everything to starve to death,"

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

© Provided by BGR science news

• The debate over what killed the dinosaurs has remained unsettled for, well, forever.
  • The leading theory is that a massive asteroid impact in the Gulf of Mexico set off a chain of events that dramatically changed the climate, snuffing most large species out.
  • Now, new discoveries made at the site of that impact have been matched to the timeline of the dinosaur extinction, offering significant weight to the theory.

Ever since the first dinosaur fossils were discovered, humans have wondered how the massive beasts lived and, ultimately, what caused them to not exist anymore. A few decades ago, one theory began to look more and more plausible. That theory involved a huge crater found in the Gulf of Mexico which was large enough that the impact that created it could have dramatically affected the entire planet.

Scientists have always known the Chicxulub Crater is old, but with so many millions of years between the impact and present-day, it has always been a challenge to nail down exactly when the impact occurred. The timelines seemed to match up, but hard evidence was in short supply. That is, until now, as researchers announce in Science Advances that they've matched up the chemical makeup of asteroid dust found in the crater with other samples that were aged to the exact time of the mass extinction.

Finding a layer of asteroid dust around the globe that seemed to immediately precede a massive die-off of so many species was already pretty solid evidence, but linking the Chicxulub Crater to that event was a bit more difficult. The researchers in this new study say that they found asteroid dust "with a matching chemical fingerprint" inside the crater at the depth within the rock that precisely matches the timeline of dinosaur extinction in the fossil record.

As for how that impact led to such a world-changing extinction, scientists have a pretty good idea. The event would have kicked up an incredible amount of dust and debris when the asteroid was essentially vaporized upon impact. All of that dust would have floated for decades, blocking out the light from the Sun and both changing the temperature of the planet and also dramatically affecting plant growth.

As parts of the planet began to rapidly change and experience mass plant die-off, herbivores would have been severely impacted. As those animals died off, the carnivores that hunted them would have also found themselves quite hungry, eventually dying off as well. In short, once the impact occurred, the dinosaurs' days were numbered.

"If you're actually going to put a clock on extinction 66 million years ago, you could easily make an argument that it all happened within a couple of decades, which is basically how long it takes for everything to starve to death," co-author Sean Gulick said in a statement.

RIP the dinosaurs.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1  seeder  FLYNAVY1    3 years ago

Just more evidence that should motivate us to get ourselves off this rock if we want humanity to survive.  

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    3 years ago

Yep.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
1.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    3 years ago
if we want humanity to survive.  

I'd say we better start doing whatever it takes to keep the only one rock that today supports life.

No other planet that we know of can sustain life like earth does. 

period

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.1  Gordy327  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.2    3 years ago
I'd say we better start doing whatever it takes to keep the only one rock that today supports life.

It's probably a lot easier to fix our planet than it is to travel to a new one.

Sophomore Guide
1.2.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Gordy327 @1.2.1    3 years ago
It's probably a lot easier to fix our planet than it is to travel to a new one

Yea probably so, especially to a planet that can't sustain life anyway. Perhaps we should redirect some funding from playing explorer in space and spend it on saving the one and only known living planet that all humanity has always resided on.

Na that'd be to responsible. 

IMO: Also, humans are idiots for broadcasting we are even here to an unknown universe. We could be asking for things we never could even imagine. 

Look where and when we can afford to but do it quietly. 

Best IF WE know what's out there (if anything) before we are known to (it). 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.3  Gordy327  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.2.2    3 years ago
Perhaps we should redirect some funding from playing explorer in space and spend it on saving the one and only known living planet that all humanity has always resided on.

Or we can divert funding from other sources to focus on environmental repair and maintenance. NASA's space exploration funding is actually a very small fraction of the US budget.

IMO: Also, humans are idiots for broadcasting we are even here to an unknown universe. We could be asking for things we never could even imagine. 

Signals from Earth, especially radio signals, are not focused enough to travel far, cosmologically speaking. Such signals weaken and degrade the farther they travel until they become indistinguishable from background radiation.

Best IF WE know what's out there (if anything) before we are known to (it). 

We won't know unless we look. But so far, most efforts seem to be keeping things "local."

Sophomore Guide
1.2.4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Gordy327 @1.2.3    3 years ago
We won't know unless we look.

Don't get me wrong Gordy I fully agree. Look where and when we can afford to but do it quietly. 

I also understand that NASA's funding is limited from our government. 

If men want to spend untold fortunes on trying to colonize another planet I have no problem with it. In fact I wish them success and even the information gained will be a benefit to mankind.

But to spend much at all from our collective funds government ... I Really believe we as a species is better served maintaining what we have.  

And I really do not think we should be advertising we are here. Period

I really do think we'd be much wiser to look quietly with the hope that, if we do find anything that may be out there WE find it first giving us time to access what we have found and plan what we do next.

First 

otherwise we react to WHATEVER we can without any knowledge, forethought or planning. Not to bright IMO;

I never was comfortable with humanity advertising to the universe what we are and where we are. I think that's just asking for trouble. IF there is something out there we have NO idea what it is. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.5  Gordy327  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.2.4    3 years ago
Look where and when we can afford to but do it quietly. 

So far, we've been looking mostly in our own neighborhood. Not making much "noise" that way.

If men want to spend untold fortunes on trying to colonize another planet I have no problem with it. In fact I wish them success and even the information gained will be a benefit to mankind.

We'll see what Elon Musk has in mind.

But to spend much at all from our collective funds government ... I Really believe we as a species is better served maintaining what we have.  

Considering government funding for space exploration is a drop in the bucket, there are plenty of other ways to trim the budget. There's no reason why we can't explore space and take care of our planet at the same time.

And I really do not think we should be advertising we are here. Period

Ok. How are we doing that exactly?

I really do think we'd be much wiser to look quietly with the hope that, if we do find anything that may be out there WE find it first giving us time to access what we have found and plan what we do next.

We are looking quietly-through telescopes.

Sophomore Guide
1.2.6  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Gordy327 @1.2.5    3 years ago

On November 16, 1974 , the Arecibo telescope in Puerto Rico was used to send the most powerful broadcast ever deliberately sent into space, with the intention of contacting alien life. The broadcast formed part of the ceremonies held to mark a major upgrade to the radio telescope. Some applauded this event as a mind-expanding attempt to remind people in 1974 that Earth is likely not the only planet where an intelligent civilization has evolved. At the time, others expressed concern. They felt we shouldn’t be attempting to reveal Earth’s location in space to unknown alien civilizations.

Designed by Cornell astronomy professor   Frank Drake   with input from   other scientists   including   Carl Sagan , the broadcast itself was simple and elegant. It consisted of a pattern of   binary numbers . This message contained information about the basic chemicals of life, the structure of DNA, Earth’s place in our solar system and even a stick figure of a human.

The 1974 signal went out in the direction of M13, a globular star cluster orbiting the center of our Milky Way galaxy. 

Globular star clusters are very far away. M13 is about 23,000   light-years   from Earth.

The 1974 signal is now 46 light-years away from us.

earthsky.org/space/this-date-in-science-first-radio-signal-beamed-to-space

Bottom line: The first radio signal intentionally sent to space with the idea of contacting alien life – on November 16, 1974 – was beamed outward from the Arecibo radio telescope in Puerto Rico. What do you think? Should we be advertising our presence in space?

I say NO. 

Sophomore Guide
1.2.7  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Gordy327 @1.2.5    3 years ago

We just beamed a signal at space aliens. Was that a bad idea?

Some argue that it's risky to reach out to E.T.
Nov. 20, 2017, 11:45 AM MST  /  Updated Nov. 20, 2017, 1:56 PM MST
By   Seth Shostak

In a valley eight miles southeast of the Norwegian city of Tromsø, a radar antenna has just transmitted a short bit of radio programming to potential alien listeners: some specially composed electronic music and a tutorial about geometry and the use of binary numbers.

This isn’t the usual approach to the   search for extraterrestrial intelligence   (SETI). Ordinarily, scientists engaged in SETI use such antennas with the hope of hearing a signal that would have been broadcast tens, hundreds, or even thousands of years ago. So far, no dice. But at least SETI offers the chance of short-term success. It’s like a slot machine that’s been stubbornly ungenerous despite having been fed a ton of quarters. There’s always a chance the next coin will trigger a jackpot. SETI could succeed before tomorrow.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.8  Gordy327  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.2.7    3 years ago

Given the distances involved, any signal is not likely to reach any alien civilization anytime soon. And that's assuming any alien civilization is technologically capable of receiving such a signal.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.9  Gordy327  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.2.6    3 years ago
What do you think? Should we be advertising our presence in space?

Yes! We're not likely to discover or learn about any alien civilization by just hiding under our bed covers. Besides, that signal still has 22,954 years to go before it reaches its intended destination. I think we'll be ok in the meantime.

Sophomore Guide
1.2.10  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Gordy327 @1.2.8    3 years ago

Considering we have No idea of what could be out there and what technology it may have. IT could be watching and listening to earth as we speak.

What is out there ? 

We have no idea, I'd say we would be best served to know IT before it knows us. 

Sophomore Guide
1.2.11  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Gordy327 @1.2.9    3 years ago
We're not likely to discover or learn about any alien civilization by just hiding under our bed covers

As you said we are not hiding under the bed covers we are and have been looking.

Advertising we are looking, that we are here, what we are  and what our planet is like seems pretty damn stupid to me when we have No idea what the fuck we may be attracting.

Just to try to satisfy our own curiosity ?

That gets my  ... DUuuu  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.12  Gordy327  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.2.11    3 years ago

Curiosity is what compels us to explore, discover, and learn. One cannot be afraid if they wish to do that.

Sophomore Guide
1.2.13  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Gordy327 @1.2.12    3 years ago
Curiosity is what compels us to explore, discover, and learn. One cannot be afraid if they wish to do that.

true but rushing headlong into a totally unknown situation without being prepared for WHATEVER seems pretty naive.

WTF do WE plan to do if and when we do find something or even more unknow what will WHATEVER do if they find us first ?

Caution and fear are healthy responses when dealing with the totally unknown. Lack of caution and fear is what gets people hurt and killed unnecessarily.

As it is we are betting we are smarter that anything out there when we have no idea of WTF could even be there.  Seems pretty dumb to me. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.14  Gordy327  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.2.13    3 years ago
true but rushing headlong into a totally unknown situation without being prepared for WHATEVER seems pretty naive.

Radio signals is hardly rushing. It's not like we're traveling through space, FTL and going from planet to planet. And how does one prepare for the unknown?

WTF do WE plan to do if and when we do find something or even more unknow what will WHATEVER do if they find us first ?

I'm sure it'll be a historical discovery either way.

Caution and fear are healthy responses when dealing with the totally unknown. Lack of caution and fear is what gets people hurt and killed unnecessarily.

Yes, but there's a thin line between caution and cowardice.

As it is we are betting we are smarter that anything out there when we have no idea of WTF could even be there.  Seems pretty dumb to me. 

I'm beginning to think you've watched too many alien invasion movies.

Sophomore Guide
1.2.15  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Gordy327 @1.2.14    3 years ago
I'm sure it'll be a historical discovery either way.

I'm sure it'll be a hysterical discovery either way.

Yes, but there's a thin line between caution and cowardice

True there is also a thin line between ignorance and informed.

I'm beginning to think you've watched too many alien invasion movies.

No Gordy, I don't watch sifi I'm a very reality based person. When things don't make sense I'm too quick to pick up on it. Evern most tv shows and movies seem to make believe to me. I see the details that don't add up toooo easy. lol 

Seriously though we really do not have any idea of what if anything is out there. NONE. 

Why invite THAT home ? 

Sophomore Guide
1.2.16  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Gordy327 @1.2.14    3 years ago
WTF do WE plan to do if and when we do find something

Seriously Why are we even trying to find life other than whats on this planet ? What do we plan on doing if and when we do ?

Hell, Mankind can't even get along with each other WTF would humans think we'd do any better with a totally alien species. 

Talk about sifi

finding aliens seems lie a total DUuu ta me. 

The one result I see would be that. We'd disturb their world and they'd disturb ours. 

DUuu 

Thomas
Senior Guide
1.2.17  Thomas  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.2.16    3 years ago

The Dinosaurs don't care.....

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.18  Gordy327  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.2.16    3 years ago
Seriously Why are we even trying to find life other than whats on this planet ?

Why not?

What do we plan on doing if and when we do ?

Probably study it.

The one result I see would be that. We'd disturb their world and they'd disturb ours. 

Sounds a little paranoid.

I'm sure it'll be a hysterical discovery either way.

Some people might become irrational at such a discovery.

True there is also a thin line between ignorance and informed.

Better to be informed than ignorant.

Evern most tv shows and movies seem to make believe to me. I see the details that don't add up toooo easy. lol 

It is just entertainment after all. A little "artistic license." 

Seriously though we really do not have any idea of what if anything is out there. NONE. 

And we won't know until we explore and discover.

Why invite THAT home ? 

What do you envision happening? That we'll suddenly be invaded by an alien species? Become enslaved by them? Or maybe they'll just destroy Earth? We've barely peeked beyond our own solar system, much less travel beyond it. Our travels in space are mostly limited to our own solar system. And if we did discover intelligent life, you seem to assume they'll have a hostile intent. This is just irrational.

Sophomore Guide
1.2.19  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Gordy327 @1.2.18    3 years ago
What do you envision happening? That we'll suddenly be invaded by an alien species? Become enslaved by them? Or maybe they'll just destroy Earth?

I have NO idea what would happen. Imagining what would happen is pretty much a total guess as we have no idea of what we would encounter IF we did encounter other life. 

It could be benign, it could be the worst predator even beyond imagination.  

Human imagination is based on human experience and what we know. IF we ever do encounter alien life forces it will depend a great deal on whatever is there.

Our goal in colonizing another planet include extracting minerals useful to us. 

I would assume that another life force that comes here may certainly have the same type of goal. What do THEY want ? Why are they here ?  

I doubt life forces would be looking to just "talk" its probably a long trip and I doubt they would come to just say "HI". We wouldn't.

If we met alien life you can bet we will want something more than just "talk".  To believe IT wouldn't want more as well seems pretty naive ta me. 

Irresponsibly wanting any type of encounter when you have No idea of WTF you will encounter and have to deal with yep to me seems irresponsible. 

To me it seems much more responsible to keep looking just don't advertise that we are.

If we are lucky WE will be the first to find alien life if it exists and we can educate ourselves on what we have found. FIRST

Then hopefully we can then deal with what is there to OUR advantage. 

jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.20  Gordy327  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.2.19    3 years ago
I have NO idea what would happen. Imagining what would happen is pretty much a total guess as we have no idea of what we would encounter IF we did encounter other life. 

And yet, you automatically assume it would be a bad thing.

I doubt life forces would be looking to just "talk" its probably a long trip and I doubt they would come to just say "HI". We wouldn't.

How do you know this? That's just an assumption.

Sophomore Guide
1.2.21  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Gordy327 @1.2.20    3 years ago

And yet, you automatically assume it would be a bad thing.

I think planning for the worst and hoping for the best when encountering the unknown is a responsible response. 

That's just an assumption.

LOL I used my imagination. Based on what humans would likely  do and how humans are. As that is the only reality I know  to base imaginary scenarios on. 

Just sayin I doubt any species is exploring the universe just to "Talk" I know we are not.

One of our goals is to mine minerals eventually or to even take over a new planet to establish our own world on it. 

Best to know what IT is IF we encounter alien life before they know about us. To me that just makes good common sense. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.22  Gordy327  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.2.21    3 years ago
I think planning for the worst and hoping for the best when encountering the unknown is a responsible response. 

Fair enough. But it's tough to plan for the unknown when it is unknown.

LOL I used my imagination. Based on what humans would likely  do and how humans are. As that is the only reality I know  to base imaginary scenarios on. 

Still just an assumption.

Just sayin I doubt any species is exploring the universe just to "Talk" I know we are not.

A rather pessimistic view.

One of our goals is to mine minerals eventually or to even take over a new planet to establish our own world on it. 

Colonization of a habitable (but uninhabited) world is reasonable course of action when travelling to the stars.

Sophomore Guide
1.2.23  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Gordy327 @1.2.22    3 years ago
Colonization of a habitable (but uninhabited) world is reasonable course of action when travelling to the stars.

Seems we agree.

Wonder if the UNKNOWN does ?  That would be a huge assumption though. WE may respect a inhabited planet the unknow life form may not though. 

IMO: IF we found a habited planet we'd likely want what they have.  Greed !

As I have been saying, better to be safe than sorry.

I really believe we should explore the universe, I still think we'd be smarter to do it quietly. 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2.24  Ender  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.2.23    3 years ago
IF we found a habited planet we'd likely want what they have.  Greed

Exactly. I feel the same. The first on the planet would be the ones wanting to strip it of any monetary value.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.25  Gordy327  replied to  Ender @1.2.24    3 years ago
The first on the planet would be the ones wanting to strip it of any monetary value.

I would set up shop and establish an empire right there. Rather than strip the planet for resources, I would use it to build a new independent civilization, with myself in charge. All kneel before Gordy the First! MMWAHAHAHAHAHA jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Sophomore Guide
1.2.26  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Ender @1.2.24    3 years ago
The first on the planet would be the ones wanting to strip it of any monetary value.

Possibly/probably. Hard to tell about the unknown though. 

Based on humanity alone though.... Yes. 

Sophomore Guide
1.2.27  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Gordy327 @1.2.25    3 years ago

LOL Ya got us there, typical human response.

LMAO !

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2.28  Ender  replied to  Gordy327 @1.2.25    3 years ago

We're not worthy

We're not worthy...

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.29  Gordy327  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.2.27    3 years ago
Ya got us there, typical human response.

For my first act as Supreme Ruler, I will institute Prima Noctae. jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.30  Gordy327  replied to  Ender @1.2.28    3 years ago
We're not worthy

jrSmiley_12_smiley_image.gif

Sophomore Guide
1.2.31  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Gordy327 @1.2.29    3 years ago
Prima Nocta
lol

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2  Bob Nelson    3 years ago

I don't understand.

If this happened so many millions of years ago, why should it worry us?

jrSmiley_19_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1  Gordy327  replied to  Bob Nelson @2    3 years ago
If this happened so many millions of years ago, why should it worry us?

Because it could happen again. And possibly will. Only this time, we're the "dinosaurs."

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1.1  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1    3 years ago

How quickly do you think we can grow gills Gordy?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1.1    3 years ago

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1.1    3 years ago
How quickly do you think we can grow gills Gordy?

Well, barring any sudden extreme mutations or falling into a vat of toxic chemicals to help speed things along, I'd say probably not soon enough. Although, people are occasionally born with webbed fingers or toes. Perhaps that's an evolutionary advantage before gills?

Sophomore Guide
2.1.4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Gordy327 @2.1    3 years ago
Because it could happen again. And possibly will

I kinda like the idea of deflecting anything coming our way. IF we can, because you are right someday something will have another direct hit on this planet. 

As advanced as we now are... WE Will see it coming. Be nice if we could stop it eh ? 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.5  Gordy327  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2.1.4    3 years ago
I kinda like the idea of deflecting anything coming our way. IF we can,

That's a big if. If I remember correctly, NASA suggested deflection would be the best way to avoid an impact. Assuming it was found early enough and we were able to launch a rocket to strike and push it aside. If an asteroid is far enough away, a simple "nudge" is all that's needed to alter an impact trajectory enough to avoid an impact altogether. Outright blowing it up, a-la Armageddon, would only make it worse.

because you are right someday something will have another direct hit on this planet. 

We had a near miss not too long ago. An asteroid 16-32 feet across came within 250 miles of earth. Essentially the same orbital distance as the ISS. There are other examples of such near misses. How long until an actual impact? Especially from one too large to disintegrate upon entry in earth's atmosphere?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.7  Gordy327  replied to  Kathleen @2.1.6    3 years ago
Absolutely, we live in an uncertain universe that we have no control over, anything could happen. We can’t even control what happens on earth.

This is true. We're just another cosmic blip in an uncaring universe.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.8  Gordy327  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2.1.4    3 years ago
WE Will see it coming.

Maybe. That's not a guarantee. 

Sophomore Guide
2.1.9  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.8    3 years ago
WE Will see it coming.
Maybe. That's not a guarantee. 

True Gordy, But chances are we will.

Considering that we are constantly watching for anything headed our way chances are if a true material alien spaceship is headed towards us at least our government would know before it got here. 

Actually its probably likely our government would Not tell us. Considering there would not be a damn thing they could do. 

But panic themselfs.

For their own protection likely we would be left in the dark. 

"Hello, we sure as Hell hope you come in peace." 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.10  Gordy327  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2.1.9    3 years ago
But chances are we will.

Not necessarily. There have been times objects have been spotted, but only when it's too close to do anything about. Fortunately, they've been misses or small enough to burn up.

Considering that we are constantly watching for anything headed our way chances are if a true material alien spaceship is headed towards us at least our government would know before it got here. 

Not if it's FTL. Otherwise, it would probably take centuries for any technologically sufficient species to reach us.

But panic themselfs.

I'm reminded of a quote from Men in Black. [Agent K] "A *person* is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

Sophomore Guide
2.1.11  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.10    3 years ago
Not necessarily. There have been times objects have been spotted, but only when it's too close to do anything about.

Last week, scientists in Germany announced they were tracking a distant object heading in our direction.

Dubbed "C/2019 Q4", the high-speed body appears to be on a path originating from another star system that will see it fire past Mars in October.

Despite numerous attempts to study C/2019, scientists remain clueless as to what it is. Many speculate the distant mass is a comet.

According to prominent astronomer Dr Seth Shostak, while this is the interstellar traveller's most likely identity, we can't say for sure it's not a flying saucer.

Dr Seth Shostak, a senior astronomer at the SETI Institute, reckons the mysterious visitor could be an alien spacecraft

This is the first colour-composite image of the interstellar object, published Monday

"We can't rule out that this is an interstellar probe," Dr Shostak, a senior astronomer at the SETI Institute in California, told The Sun.

"If we get a closeup look, we may well see it has a metal exterior with portholes and little green faces looking out at us.

"However, I would bet next month's pay cheque this is a comet."

Dr Shostak, 76, has won numerous awards for his work, which among other things involves scanning the stars for signals sent out by aliens.

Not if it's FTL. Otherwise, it would probably take centuries for any technologically sufficient species to reach us.

That's true and that's the problem, WE have NO idea of what may be there that could here at any time. Other life could move FTL how do we know they cant ? WE don't even know they are there.... IF they are. 

Looking may be a joke, not looking really would be one though. 

I still see No need to advertise us and where we are.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.12  Gordy327  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2.1.11    3 years ago

Any species technologically capable of FTL would probably be capable of finding us regardless of whether we "advertise" ourselves or not. If they're not capable of FTL, then we'll have plenty of time before they actually arrive. Assuming they would even attempt travel with limited propulsion technology.

Sophomore Guide
2.1.13  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.12    3 years ago
Any species technologically capable of FTL would probably be capable of finding us regardless of whether we "advertise" ourselves or not.

Possibly, but why make it easy for them ? 

Any species technologically capable of FTL would probably be capable much more than we are. 

Caught of guard we'd be at a definite disadvantage. 

I think we'd be better off knowing They/IT was there before they/IT knew we are here.