Donald who? How Biden is outshining Trump (and Obama)

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hallux  •  2 weeks ago  •  8 comments

By:    Marwan Bishara - Al Jazeera

Donald who? How Biden is outshining Trump (and Obama)
The promise and perils of the Biden presidency in comparison to other presidents.

Likely too soon to tell but the start has been impressive.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

But the rescue plan now looks modest in comparison to Biden’s even more ambitious recovery plan worth $3 trillion, which the administration hopes to spend on national infrastructural, housing and environmental projects in its first $2 trillion phase, and on healthcare, childcare, etc in its second phase.

The plan is not only meant to help the US catch up with other major developed nations in terms of quality of its infrastructure, digital and social services, but also to help put millions of Americans back to work, and in the process, tackle poverty, marginalisation, and racism more effectively.

Biden has also signed over 50 executive actions – more than any of his recent predecessors – many of which were aimed at rolling back or dismantling Trump-era policies.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Freshman Expert
1  seeder  Hallux    2 weeks ago

As with any article I post, all is on topic ... including myself.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hallux @1    2 weeks ago

I do want something done about infrastructure (you should see the roads I have to travel every day), my only concern is where does the money come from? I know that putting people back to work boosts the tax revenue but this is $3T we're talking here

Hallux
Freshman Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    2 weeks ago

What does the wear and tear of your roads cost you in repairs for your car?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hallux @1.1.1    2 weeks ago

Plenty. I figure I'm going to need new tires next year. Then there's the cost of alignment every 3 months along with the oil change. I also keep picking up stuff that puts holes in my tires. I once had a bolt in my tire. How does that happen?

r.t..b...
Masters Participates
2  r.t..b...    2 weeks ago

As any true capitalist will tell you, the upfront investment may seem steep...but it takes patience, vision, a cohesive policy, buy in from the state and local entities that will administer the funds and oversee the projects, and finally, but most difficult, an understanding from the public that the long term benefits will justify the initial costs. 

This is just another political football that has been continually kicked down the road...address it now at 3 trillion, or live with the consequences of yet more inaction and eventually pay double that in a few years. 

But just my opinion...after traveling way too many crappy roads, crossing dilapidated bridges, and seeing too many news stories of breached levees, inadequate dams, and an obviously fragile power grid. 

Hallux
Freshman Expert
2.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  r.t..b... @2    2 weeks ago

When I moved back to Montreal from CA, the Province and country underwent massive infrastructure rebuild (roads, water, sewage, etc) ... for 2 years the weather was a combination of dust and traffic cones which one and all whined about; that whining has ceased. Included was a brand new hospital that has saved my life 3 times, a completely restored library that has save my sanity ... kids in the neighborhood got 2 new indoor hockey rinks, several new soccer fields and a swimming pool.  Yes my taxes went up but this is more than compensated by the value of my house tripling.

Sean Treacy
Professor Participates
2.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  r.t..b... @2    2 weeks ago

Actual infrastructure spending is only a tiny fraction of the three trillion. It's just called "infrastructure spending" because people who don't really pay attention to a bill's contents and just look at the title have positive associations to infrastructure spending. 

Ronin2
Senior Quiet
2.3  Ronin2  replied to  r.t..b... @2    2 weeks ago

The government isn't capitalistic; it is parasitic. It only takes money and redistributes it. It doesn't produce a damn thing. 

I have no problem with infrastructure enhancement and development. It is the amount of "other things" the money will be diverted to; and the how some of the money will be shaved off "to grease the wheels" between the Federal, State, and Local governments. Then throw in politicians paying back contractors and developers that have given large donations by allowing their bids to "win". Best company for the job and quality control be damned. I don't care which party is controlling the funds either.

I live in Michigan. I think our roads on the west side of the state are lucky to last 6 months before they are one massive pothole. I can't count how many times they have repaved 131 north bound just to have it back to one of the worst highways in the US in a few short months. It is the same system and cycle every year. The state should purchase a pothole patch company it uses so much. 

Want to make a bet that 3 trillion won't cover it? Government projects are rife with cost overruns and quality issues at every level. They will be back to ask for several trillion more in a few years; maybe not even that long. Again, I don't trust anyone in government to oversee that kind of project. Trump was talking a big game about infrastructure as well; he had the Democrats to block him. Biden has nothing to stop him except the filibuster in the Senate; and that might be gone if the hard left Democrats get their way.