╌>

It's a brand-new day for Negro League players, whose stats are now ranked with all MLB players

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  monstermash  •  3 years ago  •  22 comments

By:   Josh Gibson (YahooNews)

It's a brand-new day for Negro League players, whose stats are now ranked with all MLB players
The late baseball legend Oscar Charleston is in good company. Eighty years after his retirement in 1941, Charleston moved into third place Tuesday among the career leaders in OPS+ at 184 — behind Babe Ruth (206) and Ted Williams (191) and ahead of Barry Bonds (182) — as baseball-reference.com updated its statistical database to include the Negro Leagues as major leagues. Adding some new stat ...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

It's a brand-new day for Negro League players, whose stats are now ranked with all MLB player

Eighty years after his retirement in 1941, Charleston moved into third place Tuesday among the career leaders in OPS+ at 184 — behind Babe Ruth (206) and Ted Williams (191) and ahead of Barry Bonds (182) — as baseball-reference.com updated its statistical database to include the Negro Leagues as major leagues.

Adding some new stat lines to a baseball website might not seem like a big deal, but for fans and admirers of Negro League baseball, it's another wrong that has been made right.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice," Martin Luther King Jr. once said.

For 94-year-old Ron Teasley, one of the few remaining players who appeared in the Negro Leagues in or before 1948, justice finally has come to his doorstep.

"He probably never would've thought he'd see something like this in his lifetime," said Sean Gibson, great-grandson of Negro League Hall of Famer Josh Gibson. "I'm very excited for him. For a man who is still living at 94 years old, it's going to be phenomenal for him to see that."

MLB's decision in December to recognize the Negro Leagues as major leagues, officially putting Josh Gibson at the same level as Mike Trout, required a major undertaking to verify statistics from box scores that may or may not have been printed in local newspapers at the time.

Researchers excluded exhibition games, which were popular games scheduled mostly to make money, and stats that could not be discovered in a verified box score.

Through the combined efforts of Sports Reference, the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR) and Seamheads.com — a Negro Leagues statistical database — the integration of Black players and their statistics with the previously acknowledged major leagues became available starting at 5 a.m. Tuesday.

Historian and researcher Larry Lester, chairman of SABR's Negro Leagues Committee, called it a "long and bittersweet" journey for the recognition of Black ballplayers, many of whom were talented enough to play in the American or National leagues but were denied an opportunity based on their skin color.

Story continues

"Bittersweet because it took Major League Baseball so long to recognize Negro League stats," Lester said. "I think this country has become awoken based on several social issues and concerns with police brutality and systemic racism. And now we have come full circle to recognize the greatness of these ballplayers.

"It's an opportunity for Americans to learn about some of the greatest ballplayers to play the game — that just happened to be of a darker complexion."

The statistics from seven Negro Leagues from 1920-48 are now included, going from the inception of the leagues to their final World Series. The Negro Leagues' days were numbered after Jackie Robinson broke the MLB color line in 1947 and teams slowly began signing Black stars.

Lester said almost all of the games from the 1920s were accounted for and about 60% to 75% of the games from the 1930s. The 1940s box scores were more difficult to find.

The addition of Black stars to the popular baseball-reference.com site will "humanize these folk heroes," Lester said, while certifying their status as all-time greats.

Some of the familiar leaderboards have changed, particularly single-season leaders.

"Single-season slugging leaderboard, there will be a lot of new faces," said Sean Forman, president of Sports Reference, whose sites include baseball-reference.com.

He wasn't kidding. Gibson's .974 slugging percentage in 1937 vaulted him over Bonds' previous record of .863 with the San Francisco Giants in 2001. Mule Suttles, Charlie Smith and Gibson take up the next three spots, dropping Bonds to fifth place.

There was plenty of debate in 2001 when Bonds, an alleged performance-enhancing drug user, passed Ruth's 1920 slugging mark of .847.

But now the record belongs to Gibson, who holds three of the top nine spots on the single-season slugging leader list. He also surpassed Bonds as the single-season OPS leader, taking the top two spots with a 1.474 mark in 1937 and 1.427 in 1943.

Negro League seasons often consisted of about 50 to 70 games, so players did not make as many plate appearances as their AL and NL peers, meaning even the all-time greats would end up far behind white stars in career numbers.

Gibson was known as "the Black Babe Ruth" for his power, and Forman said one search tool at baseball-reference.com will give readers the chance to see how many home runs Gibson would've hit at Coors Field, a hitters' paradise.

Sean Gibson said the one stat that most excites him is Josh Gibson's .466 batting average in 1943, which went higher upon review.

"At one point it was .441," Sean said. "That was exciting to see it went up even higher. If that stands, Josh Gibson will be the all-time single-season batting leader."

Close, but not quite. Tetelo Vargas' .471 average with the New York Cubans, also in 1943, edged Gibson.

The modern-day single-season record was held by the Philadelphia Athletics' Nap Lajoie, who hit .427 in 1901, the AL's inaugural season. The all-time record belonged to the Boston Beaneaters' Hugh Duffy, who hit .440 in 1894. But now Duffy is fourth behind three Negro Leaguers — Vargas, Gibson and Charlie Smith (.451 in 1929). Lajoie's 1901 record also fell, as he dropped from first in the modern era to ninth.

Move over, guys.

Lester said Joe Strong's 11-inning no-hitter for the Baltimore Black Sox in 1927 is now the longest no-hitter in major league history, while Al Gibson's 20 strikeouts with the Birmingham Black Barons leaves him tied for the single-game record with Roger Clemens (twice), Kerry Wood, Randy Johnson and Max Scherzer.

He also noted that Newark Eagles pitcher Leon Day joins Bob Feller as the only major league pitchers to throw a no-hitter on opening day, with Day's coming in 1946 against the Philadelphia Stars, six years after Feller's no-no for Cleveland against the Chicago White Sox.

Some numbers may change as new information comes to light. Lester said they still were trying to find a box score of a four-homer game by Josh Gibson in July 1938 against the Memphis Red Sox in Zanesville, Ohio. They found three newspaper accounts of the feat but could not locate a box score.

"The four home runs can't be included for the simple reason our data must balance," Lester said.

In other words, you can't add four home runs for Gibson without adding the home runs allowed for the pitchers who served them up.

"The data is solid, but we want people to know we're still discovering new data," Lester said, adding that leaderboards may change by a little over time.

"Ty Cobb's numbers have changed," Forman said to show statistics are reviewable in all leagues.

Lester said baseball debates are made for barbershop banter, and he welcomes "all the critics" who may dispute the merits of Negro League stars when comparing them with their AL and NL peers.

But researchers now have official major league stats to back up the claims to greatness of the Black stars, so they're ready for the arguments to begin.

"Bring it on," Lester said.

It's a new dawn for baseball — and a reminder it's never too late to right a wrong.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
1  seeder  MonsterMash    3 years ago

Should Negro League players stats be included in Major League records? I say NO, there's no way to determine what a Negro League player could have done in the majors, they may have had better or worse stats.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  MonsterMash @1    3 years ago

I agree we will never know what their stats might have been in the "Major" Leagues, but unless there is some concrete reason to think their statistics would have been lesser I think the best thing is to include them with the MLB statistics. 

It is the righting of a wrong. We all like to see wrongs righted don't we? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @1.1    3 years ago

Look at it this way, the Major league at that time did not consist of the best players available. It consisted of the best white players. 

I see no problem adding the Negro League stats to the Major league stats.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @1.1.1    3 years ago

They were all grown men playing baseball to the best of their ability.  Ever since Jackie Robinson and Branch Rickey broke the baseball color barrier in 1947 black and other non white players have often been among the game's biggest stars. I dont see any reason that wouldnt have been the case 10 or 20 years earlier as well if the non whites had been allowed in MLB. 

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.3  seeder  MonsterMash  replied to  Kavika @1.1.1    3 years ago
I see no problem adding the Negro League stats to the Major league stats.

If that's done it would leave the black players way down on the list for career hits, RBI's and runs scored as they only played 50-70 games a year, the Major Leagues played 154 games.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Kavika   replied to  MonsterMash @1.1.3    3 years ago
If that's done it would leave the black players way down on the list for career hits, RBI's and runs scored as they only played 50-70 games a year, the Major Leagues played 154 games.

That is true but if you take that into consideration showing the number of games played it would be fairly easy to project it into a 154 game schedule. There are always going to be gaps but IMO there were many great black ballplayers and they certainly deserve to be recognized.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @1.1.4    3 years ago

Blacks should be recognized and belong in the Hall of Fame, but numbers are numbers and we never project numbers for inclusion into any sport Hall of Fame. That wouldn't be fair.

Not one thing wrong with honoring the blacks who played in the Negro League and posting their career numbers for that league.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Texan1211  replied to    3 years ago
ah, separate but equal?…

Very good, you figured it out!!!

Inclusion in the Baseball Hall of Fame is as follows:

Voting Rules History | Baseball Hall of Fame

Since very few Negro League stars actually played in MLB (though no fault of their own), many were not considered eligible for the HoF.

I believe they should be recognized for their contributions to the sport. My suggestion would be to vote a few in every year. 

So yeah, separate but equal but surely not in the way you envisioned.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Kavika   replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.5    3 years ago

I don't believe that the article is speaking of entry into the HoF but recognizing the stats of players in the Negro League alongside the white players in MLB.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Texan1211  replied to    3 years ago
Take just a moment to understand just how condescending that comment is. 

Take just a moment to realize that I have zero interest in your interpretations of plainly written English that you chose to ignore.

My comment was not condescending in the least, and the fact that you think it is tells more about you than me.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Texan1211  replied to    3 years ago

jrSmiley_90_smiley_image.gif

Always have to get personal. don't you?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @1.1.9    3 years ago

Yes, I am aware of that fact, I read the article, and believe I expressed that in post 1.1.5.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.14  seeder  MonsterMash  replied to  Kavika @1.1.4    3 years ago
there were many great black ballplayers and they certainly deserve to be recognize.
They are being recognize, to date the Hall of Fame has 35 Negro Leaguers enshrined in Cooperstown

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.15  Kavika   replied to  MonsterMash @1.1.14    3 years ago

Yes, I'm aware that there are a number of Negro League players in Cooperstown, which is a good thing. As I stated before I believe that the numbers/stats of all the black players should be part of the record as well.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
1.2  Transyferous Rex  replied to  MonsterMash @1    3 years ago

Well, its the same argument that could be made regarding different eras in MLB. I'd love to see Babe Ruth and Aaron hit now. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Transyferous Rex @1.2    3 years ago

I think a few of the all-time greats would be great today, but today's players are better as a whole.

Better coaching at a younger age, more organized leagues, better diets, better equipment, videotape, better scouting reports, better travelling conditions, far fewer day games in the heat of summer, etc.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
1.2.2  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.1    3 years ago

I don't disagree with any of that. I think the old timers have the edge in toughness though. Go back fifty years, and you're talking about guys "frowning upon" getting thrown at, but understanding it was part of the game. In Mantle's era, at least early, they didn't wear helmets to the plate. Now, coming too far inside may get the pitcher suspended, and most of the hitters wear armor to the plate. Big damn difference in confidence while standing in the box, and there is a lot to be said about confidence at the plate.

Wasn't that far back when I was playing college ball. I've taken my fair share of pitches to the ribs for either hitting a home run the previous at bat, or for the guy in front of me hitting one. (Taken a couple for intentionally missing a ball at first, and letting it hit someone standing down the line too.) Not saying Tatis Jr. isn't a stud, because he is. I'd like to see if he swags up to the plate with Bob Gibson on the mound though. 

I'm sure the old hands would probably really enjoy hitting the baseballs of today too. 

Defensively...I'd have to agree that the players today are, all around, bigger, faster and stronger. Plus arms of 20 years ago are average now. 

videotape

Made me laugh Texan. Videotape? Not in a while. That's back from my playing days. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Transyferous Rex @1.2.2    3 years ago
Made me laugh Texan. Videotape? Not in a while. That's back from my playing days. 

Yeah, probably dated myself with that one!

LOL!

How about just video?

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
1.2.4  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.3    3 years ago

Sad. My kids would be shocked to discover that, back in the day, audio and video could actually be captured and stored on magnetic tape. 

The tools these guys have now go way beyond video. Visited one of my old schools a while back. I can promise you, I'd have taken 600 cuts a day, if I'd have had the facilities and tech they have now. My wife wants a pool. I want a good indoor tunnel, with HitTrax. I think we'd get more use out of the latter, and I know who would be taking care of the former.