╌>

Unprecedented heat wave set to roast Pacific Northwest

Category:  Environment/Climate

Via:  hallux  •  3 years ago  •  14 comments

By:   Andrew Freedman - Axios

Unprecedented heat wave set to roast Pacific Northwest
The most severe heat wave on record in the Pacific Northwest and southwestern Canada kicks into high gear Friday and will intensify throughout the weekend and into next week.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By the numbers: Virtually all of Oregon and Washington, plus portions of California, Idaho and Montana, are under excessive heat watches and warnings. This is the case even in downtown Portland and Seattle.

• Portland, Oregon, is forecast to reach low triple-digits on Saturday through at least Monday. The city is likely to break its June heat record, its record for most 100-degree days in June, and surpass its all-time high of 107°F, perhaps by a few degrees.
  • In Seattle, where the average high temperature this time of year is in the low-to-mid 70s, the National Weather Service (NWS) predicts a high of 102°F on Sunday, which would break the record for the city's hottest temperature during the month of June.
  • Seattle's all-time high temperature record is 103°F, and the city has only seen three 100-degree days in its history.
  • Medford, Oregon and Spokane, Washington, are also predicted to shatter their all-time high temperature record by a few degrees.
  • The heat will be most intense in inland areas of Washington and Oregon. There, temperatures are forecast to soar to between 100°F and 115°F on Saturday through Tuesday, and remain extremely hot through much of next week.
  • Nearly every location along the I-5 corridor from Northern California to Washington is likely to set a monthly or even an all-time high temperature record during this event.
  • Canada will also see extreme heat, and it's possible the country's all-time high temperature record of 113°F (45°C) will be equaled or eclipsed.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
PhD Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    3 years ago

The new normal?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1  cjcold  replied to  Hallux @1    3 years ago

So glad that I live in the land of Oz where AGW is likely to have the least effect.

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  cjcold @1.1    3 years ago

Same here in Montreal., and if it does get crazy, I have a cottage further north to escape to.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     3 years ago

The temps are amazingly high. Having lived in Seattle for a while 100 degrees will have people melting.

Sunday and Monday in Vancouver B.C. will be 99 and 102 F...

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3  Freefaller    3 years ago

By next Wed it's supposed to be over 36 here, lol we may exceed our previous record high of 36.111.(fahrenheit conversion would be around 97)

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1  Kavika   replied to  Freefaller @3    3 years ago

You mean that the snow is gone already?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  Kavika @3.1    3 years ago

Lol yep disappeared a couple days ago, my poor pet polar bear is suffering bad and don't get me going about my igloo.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Freefaller @3.1.1    3 years ago

LOL

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4  MrFrost    3 years ago

I live mid way between Seattle and Portland. Here is my weather forecast from a few hours ago.

The danger is that the vast majority of people up here have no AC because we rarely need it. I do worry about the elderly that live alone and have no resources to fall back on. I fear this heat will sadly kill a lot of people in the area. I have a few elderly friends I will be checking on over the next few days. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1  MrFrost  replied to  MrFrost @4    3 years ago

For the record, heat like this in this region is completely unheard of. 

JBB
Professor Principal
4.2  JBB  replied to  MrFrost @4    3 years ago

At least it cools off nicely at night. We were without electricity for six days during an Oklahoma heat wave a few years back when temperatures stayed above 90 degrees all night. No sleep on top of that extra heat made a miserable situation worse...

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5  Greg Jones    3 years ago

The 30's were hotter....look it up.

Here in Denver, after a cool, wet spring, we've had a few hot days so far.

However, the summer monsoon has shown up with rain and temps in the 70's

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.1  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @5    3 years ago
The 30's were hotter....look it up. Here in Denver,

Denver is not even close to the PNW... 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  MrFrost @5.1    3 years ago

It was very hot all over the the country.

It's been almost that in that region going back decades.

No evidence climate change is the cause