╌>

599 people have been charged in the Capitol insurrection so far.

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  3 years ago  •  28 comments

By:   Madison Hall , Skye Gould , Rebecca Harrington , Jacob Shamsian , Azmi Haroun , Taylor Ardrey , and Erin Snodgrass

599 people have been charged in the Capitol insurrection so far.
This searchable table shows them all

[Note: That number was only as of July 30th]. .

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

George Pierre Tanios watches as a video of the January 6th storming of the US Capitol is shown during his hearing on charges of pepper-spraying Capitol

police officers, i n Clarksburg, West Virginia, on March 22, 2021, in this courtroom sketch from a video feed of the proceedings. REUTERS/Jane Rosenberg

• A pro-Trump mob descended on the Capitol January 6, and hundreds are facing criminal charges.
    • It took four hours to secure the building so Congress could certify Joe Biden's victory.
    • Six months later, 599 people have been charged. This searchable table shows them all so far.

Since supporters of then-President Donald Trump swarmed the US Capitol on January 6 — forcing Congress to go into lockdown and  damaging the halls of government  — 599 people have been arrested and charged with crimes.

The FBI is seeking the public's help to identify people who took part in one of the  most documented crimes in US history .

But since many rioters were allowed to walk free on January 6, it's taking some time to track them down.

This table includes the names, charges, and links to court documents of all the people charged so far. We're keeping it updated as more names are released.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

A pro-Trump mob descended on the Capitol January 6, and hundreds are facing criminal charges.

Since supporters of then-President Donald Trump swarmed the US Capitol on January 6 — forcing Congress to go into lockdown and    damaging the halls of government   — 599 people have been arrested and charged with crimes.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

The FBI is seeking the public's help to identify people who took part in one of the  most documented crimes in US history 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

But since many rioters were allowed to walk free on January 6, it's taking some time to track them down.

This table includes the names, charges, and links to court documents of all the people charged so far. We're keeping it updated as more names are released.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     3 years ago

I believe that Florida in addition to being the new epicenter of COVID is also the leader in rioters being arrested.

Go Florida.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @4    3 years ago

I believe that Florida in addition to being the new epicenter of COVID is also the leader in rioters being arrested.

Go Florida.

In several areas of MAGA-stupidity, it looks likes there's a hot-contested contest between Texas and Florida!

(I can't help but wondering...which state will win?) 

evilone
Professor Guide
5  evilone    3 years ago

Let's see what have we here... is it fake news? A peaceful protest, just an afternoon tour, let in by the Capital Police with hugs and kisses or it never happened. I lose count of the lies. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6  Greg Jones    3 years ago

I suspect the vast majority will only be charged with trespassing...and time served.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1  devangelical  replied to  Greg Jones @6    3 years ago

cool. let the private sector deal with the traitors.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7  XXJefferson51    3 years ago

Report Reveals Shocking Double Standards For Bringing U.S. Rioters To Justice

The sheer similarities and differences between the treatment of the 2020 rioters compared to the treatment of the January 6 riot rioters are shocking.

One would think a major report from a group representing America’s top law enforcement leaders analyzing the widespread riots of 2020 would have garnered significant media attention. One also would think such a report would garner widespread discussion after the January 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capital due to the parallels between it and the 2020 riots. Given our hyper-partisan environment, however, one would be woefully wrong.

Specifically, back in October 2020, the Major Cities Chiefs (MCC) released a comprehensive report full of data from dozens of cities that provides deep insights into the 2020 riots that plagued America after George Floyd’s death in Minnesota. The MCC’s “Report on the 2020 Protests and Civil Unrest” served as an excellent after-action report that cities, states, and the federal government could use to reform their practices and, equally importantly, to prepare for future riots.

With the ongoing hunt for and prosecution of January 6 participants and recent actions by Democrat Speaker Nancy Pelosi to veto Republican Kevin McCarthy’s choices for the January 6 Commission, the MCC report has become more relevant than ever. The sheer similarities and differences between what happened with and to the participants of the 2020 riots compared to the January 6 riot and rioters are, frankly, shocking.

First, the left, its media sycophants, and dead-ender anti-Trump Republican Rep. Liz Cheney have spent inordinate amounts of time focused on the fact that the January 6 riot occurred at the U.S. Capitol, as if that building alone serves as the sole symbol of U.S. democracy.

The left and corporate media have always been supportive when people burn or disrespect the U.S. flag, or when left-wing extremists storm Senate buildings to shut down the democratic process involving appointing conservatives to the U.S. Supreme Court.

The left-media-Cheney outrage would appear far less politically driven if the 2020 rioters didn’t also focus, as the MCC report notes, on government buildings and “other iconic public buildings” including city halls, which in our federalist system are equal symbols of U.S. democracy. Here’s the report documenting that...

Read more: https://thefederalist.com/2021/07/29/report-reveals-shocking-double-standards-for-bringing-u-s-rioters-to-justice/

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7    3 years ago

You shouldn't cut and paste those hateful conspiracy theories on here.  Krishna - you should have that removed for basically pasting an article in your article.  

Freewill
Junior Quiet
8  Freewill    3 years ago

Hi Krishna,

I read a similar article at CBS news on July 29 , indicating 550 charged with various crimes related to the riots and storming of the Capitol on Jan 6, 2021.  And I also noticed that they did not use the word "insurrection" or "insurrectionists" at all in that article.  Indeed per your seeded article and the CBS article it appears that nobody has yet been charged under 18 US Code 2383 - Rebellion or Insurrection.  Yet many news outlets continue to use those words in describing the riots that took place that day.

I am not a lawyer (although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), so I am just wondering why if so many continue to call it an insurrection then why haven't any of the perpetrators yet been charged with that specific Federal crime?  Not saying they shouldn't be, just wondering why they haven't been, and why people keep reporting it as though they have.  Your thoughts?

evilone
Professor Guide
8.1  evilone  replied to  Freewill @8    3 years ago
I am just wondering why if so many continue to call it an insurrection then why haven't any of the perpetrators yet been charged with that specific Federal crime? 

Because the prosecutors have said, even though they agree it's insurrection, it's a very high bar to reach with jurors. There are some Proud Boys and some Oath Keepers being charged with conspiracy though. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  evilone @8.1    3 years ago

I suspect most of those charged were simply on the premises. Unless there is visual or audio evidence of a crime being committed, other than trespassing, most will go free or only charged with misdemeanors. Jurors tend to be fair when real facts are presented to them, and are usually not influenced by hyped up sound partisan rhetoric.  

Freewill
Junior Quiet
8.1.2  Freewill  replied to  evilone @8.1    3 years ago
Because the prosecutors have said, even though they agree it's insurrection, it's a very high bar to reach with jurors.

Not as high a bar as say “sedition”.  To the extent that some of them were organizing and colluding, sure seems to me like 18 US Code 2383 would apply.  I know it hasn’t been used since the Civil War, but if it fits the crime I think it should be used here if for no other reason than to discourage such a thing from happening again.

evilone
Professor Guide
8.1.3  evilone  replied to  Freewill @8.1.2    3 years ago
Not as high a bar as say “sedition”.

Any Sedition charges would be filed on those that spoke at the "rally". Not those storming the Capital Building. 

To the extent that some of them were organizing and colluding...

We have allegations of organization of a couple of small groups - plea deals for being state's witness, but we don't have any proof of collusion. I suspect that would be what the House Committee is supposed to be looking into, but instead it's a political circus. Or maybe something will come out in one of the court trials if any go that far.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
8.1.4  Freewill  replied to  evilone @8.1.3    3 years ago
…but instead it's a political circus.…

No kidding.  If the prosecution really feels they have a case that fits the definition of insurrection as put forth in 18 US Code 2383, then they should level those charges.  I don’t understand why the circus in Congress or congressional committees should make any difference.  

I believe the Justice Department is the primary agency tasked with enforcing US Code, particularly section 18.  So seems to me that they should be the ones determining what the appropriate charges should be in this matter, not a Congressional committee, and certainly not the media.

The wording of 18 US Code 2383 is a bit vague and certainly open to some interpretation, but sure seems to fit with what some of the rioters had done, especially if their stated goal was to overturn the results of a Federal election.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2  Tessylo  replied to  Freewill @8    3 years ago

Because a coup/insurrection never happened, right Freewill?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8.2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @8.2    3 years ago

That's true...neither one happened. In case you haven't noticed, Biden is president today. An insignificant riot did not stop the peaceful transfer of power.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @8.2.1    3 years ago

[deleted]

Freewill
Junior Quiet
8.2.3  Freewill  replied to  Tessylo @8.2    3 years ago
Because a coup/insurrection never happened, right Freewill?

Well that is not what I said, and you know it, but I can see why some followers of the “Turd Reich” (did I get that right?) might think that given that no such charges have yet been leveled.  

Kinda surprised that you think that though. May I ask why the sudden change in your outlook surrounding this event?  But please don’t ask me to confirm your thoughts on the matter.

By the way, allow me to properly acknowledge Stephen Colbert as the source of the term “Turd Reich”, although personally I prefer Jon Stewart’s knickname for him:

“Fuckface Von Clownstick.” jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.2.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Freewill @8.2.3    3 years ago
Kinda surprised that you think that though. May I ask why the sudden change in your outlook surrounding this event?

I believe it was "unmarked sarcasm" Freewill...........................

Freewill
Junior Quiet
8.2.5  Freewill  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.2.4    3 years ago

Ya think? jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif   And returned to sender.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.6  Tessylo  replied to  Freewill @8.2.3    3 years ago

I know where the term The Turd Reich came from as I refuse, like Stephen, to use that ignorant steaming pile of shit's name EVER again.  You don't need to properly acknowledge anything. I'm well aware of its' origin.  Mar-A-Lardo is good too.  I prefer to call him trumpturd though - very apt - because he's a stupid ignorant moron pile of shit.  

It was sarcasm.  I guess you didn't get it.    

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  Freewill @8.2.5    3 years ago

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

P.S. I'm not the subject of this seed so you can move along now.  

Freewill
Junior Quiet
8.2.8  Freewill  replied to  Tessylo @8.2.6    3 years ago
I guess you didn't get it.    

LOL… oh the irony…. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.9  Tessylo  replied to  Freewill @8.2.8    3 years ago

LOL . . . oh the idiocy . . . 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
9  bbl-1    3 years ago

599 arrested.  And none from Mar-a-Lago, The Congress, The Senate or Bedminster.

JBB
Professor Principal
9.1  JBB  replied to  bbl-1 @9    3 years ago

None of those arrested was BLM or ANTIFA either!